Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 06:12 PM

3,456 posts, read 2,781,479 times

Advertisements

I don’t know if it can be pigeonholed as a conservative or liberal trend, but most of Quebec’s “yutes” prefer to be part of Canada, more so than their grandmeres and grandperes.
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...endum-00040228
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2022, 10:56 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,656,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
I don’t know if it can be pigeonholed as a conservative or liberal trend, but most of Quebec’s “yutes” prefer to be part of Canada, more so than their grandmeres and grandperes.
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...endum-00040228
Lots of reasons at play but from what I've seen/heard/studied

1. The obvious one, two failed referendums. Do you really want provinces to spend millions (and maybe hundreds of millions) to lose a referendum... again? No. The people have spoken and have continue to do so, they want to remain in Canada.

2. Quebec nationalism has turned into a far right form of nationalism. They are against a globalized world (which can also fall under far left ideology btw), are against immigration, against multiculturalism, are afraid of anyone who isn't francophone, playing up old tropes, etc.. The youth, millennials and those that are not close to 50 years old are pro multiculturalism, pro globalization (to an extent) and welcome all no matter what they speak, wear or identity.

Quebec's new nationalism is REALLY reminding me of far-right white supremacists in the United States. Where a "true" American is white and English speaking. In Quebec, a true Quebecer is white and French speaking. They both hate multiculturalism, are against immigration and globalization. It has become very intolerant, and the youth/under 40-50 people want an inclusive province that is accepting of all. Remaining part of Canada guarantees inclusion, but the feds are always sissies when it comes to getting involved in Quebec affairs.

Also the fact that Quebec nationalists are against the charter, mainly because it protects people via individual rights instead of collective rights (which leads to tribalism) is also a scary and backward form of thinking. So obviously the youth and under 40-50 year old's primarily do not want to separate, because they see the attitudes of nationalists when we are in Canada, imagine how bad it'll be if Quebec left?

3. Quebec will be absolutely screwed if they left Canada. They will lose all the transfer payments by Canada + their currency, passports,, pensions, military services, etc. A lot of people who want to separate really just want Canada to give them more money for services and use this as a chip. If I was in the position of being in the federal gov't and Quebec separated, I will ask them to repay every single cent of transfer money, reject policing/military aid, the use of our currency/passport, remove all pensions/services. You want to leave Canada? You don't get any benefits that Canada gives.

And again, I'm only talking about the elites in power, who are plunging Quebec back into the dark ages, at the expense of literally every single person regardless of their linguistic background. The issues that drove separation before are done, there's no Anglo boogeyman anymore, or the Catholic Church running stuff anymore, French is not dying in Quebec and more people are speaking it now than in the 1980s. The people see this and have accepted it, have accepted multiculturalism as a strength and not a weakness to society and align more with Canada's ideas vs Quebec, since Quebec is very socially conservative.

I could go on but I don't want to write a book lol, it's Saturday and I have to go to the track for F1. But everything I wrote was from experience from working in politics in Quebec and Canada, my kids and their university friends, surveys, studies and normal conversations with people here and even those who left Quebec in the past few years.

Old 06-18-2022, 12:02 PM

572 posts, read 279,567 times
I know close to zero about Canada. I had read that because the last referendum was so close, many companies with HQ in Montreal moved to Toronto or at least out of Quebec. As a result, Montreal lost a significant portion of its tax base, and was in danger of becoming the "Detroit of Canada". Not enough money for sidewalk repair etc.
I was later told that this was incorrect.
Details aside, did Montreal lose a significant portion of its tax base?

Old 06-18-2022, 12:05 PM

I don’t see how Quebec is “socially conservative”.

Old 06-18-2022, 07:04 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,768,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_Mulligan View Post
I know close to zero about Canada. I had read that because the last referendum was so close, many companies with HQ in Montreal moved to Toronto or at least out of Quebec. As a result, Montreal lost a significant portion of its tax base, and was in danger of becoming the "Detroit of Canada". Not enough money for sidewalk repair etc.
I was later told that this was incorrect.
Details aside, did Montreal lose a significant portion of its tax base?

Montreal is still very vibrant or better yet more vibrant than it has ever been. It is nowhere close to being another Detroit. Sure a number of corporations relocated headquarters to Toronto back in the 1970's when Bill 101 was passed (Bill 101 was a language law aimed to protect French, not a referendum on independence) but others remained or were replaced with newer companies. The City itself lost population up until the early 1990's but has since steadily gained back what it had lost and more. That "Montreal is becoming an economic cesspool" news you hear every so often is nothing more than senseless drivel put forth by a certain population looking to regain the long gone past.

Old 06-18-2022, 09:02 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
I don’t see how Quebec is “socially conservative”.
It isn't. That’s just a political cudgel.

Old 06-19-2022, 07:18 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,093,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Lots of reasons at play but from what I've seen/heard/studied

1. The obvious one, two failed referendums. Do you really want provinces to spend millions (and maybe hundreds of millions) to lose a referendum... again? No. The people have spoken and have continue to do so, they want to remain in Canada.

2. Quebec nationalism has turned into a far right form of nationalism. They are against a globalized world (which can also fall under far left ideology btw), are against immigration, against multiculturalism, are afraid of anyone who isn't francophone, playing up old tropes, etc.. The youth, millennials and those that are not close to 50 years old are pro multiculturalism, pro globalization (to an extent) and welcome all no matter what they speak, wear or identity.

Quebec's new nationalism is REALLY reminding me of far-right white supremacists in the United States. Where a "true" American is white and English speaking. In Quebec, a true Quebecer is white and French speaking. They both hate multiculturalism, are against immigration and globalization. It has become very intolerant, and the youth/under 40-50 people want an inclusive province that is accepting of all. Remaining part of Canada guarantees inclusion, but the feds are always sissies when it comes to getting involved in Quebec affairs.
I don’t know if it’s accurate to say these people are anti-immigration in general. I think it’s more pro-immigration but insisting the immigrants assimilate into the French community instead of the English community. I get the impression though that most of these Quebec nationalists don’t like Muslims and Sikhs though. (See hijab ban for public sector workers, turban ban for kids soccer, etc)

Old 06-19-2022, 09:40 AM

The first generation of Quebeckers who agitated for independence is dying out. They would be people who felt repressed in the 1950s and liberated in the 1960s. So at the latest, they would be born in the early to mid 1940s.
I don’t see how Francophones in parts of Canada outside Quebec were any better off in the 1950s.

Last edited by Suesbal; 06-19-2022 at 09:51 AM..

Old 06-19-2022, 10:06 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,093,689 times
Quote:
The first generation of Quebeckers who agitated for independence is dying out. They would be people who felt repressed in the 1950s and liberated in the 1960s. So at the latest, they would be born in the early to mid 1940s.
I don’t see how Francophones in parts of Canada outside Quebec were any better off in the 1950s.
I guess it depends on family history and what not. I’d imagine it would have been a bit of a **** off if you were in Ontario with family from Quebec and had to learn English and access services in English when they moved there for work. Meanwhile though, back in the 60s and 70s at least, French people still had to learn English to get good jobs in Montreal cause their bosses never bothered to learn French. It was probably much easier for an English guy from Toronto or Winnipeg to get a job in Montreal than it was for a French person to get a good job in Montreal. I’d imagine there exists a sense of solidarity in the Franco-Ontarian community because of this. There have been a number of PQ and Bloc Québécois politicians who grew up in Ontario and New Brunswick as well.

Acajack is probably the best person to ask, if I recall he is from New Brunswick originally.

Old 06-19-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post

Acajack is probably the best person to ask, if I recall he is from New Brunswick originally.
He’s a man of mystery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal