Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: REM vs. Montreal Metro: which do you prefer?
REM 4 57.14%
Montreal Metro 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 10:44 AM

836 posts, read 850,658 times

Advertisements

I like both projects, and I'd love to see Montreal have the best mass transit system in all of Canada, Toronto included, however, with the recent news of the train cancellations, I believe that the Montreal Metro is the best transit system for Montreal for the following reasons:

PROS:
- fully underground, meaning no above-ground or at-grade lines or stations in the Metro system.
- rubber tire wheels.
- artistic stations.
- utilizes boring technology that doesn't affect existing buildings.
- decent coverage throughout most parts of the city.
- lots of potential for future expansion.

CONS:
- very expensive to maintain, expand and build.
- political corruption and tension within the city, provincial, and even federal ranks.
- Montreal's economy not as robust as Toronto's economy.
- lack of expansion to Dorval, Montreal-Est, Montreal-Nord, Lasalle, and Lachine and other lines such as the Yellow Line needs to be expanded to Parc via St Laurent St and to Longueuil-St Hubert.

The REM is a nice, supplementary line for Montreal's mass transit system. I like the project, and like the fact that the REM L'est is going to expand to Montreal-Nord & Montreal-Est, but I'm no fan of the elevated structure and the only reason why is because there's already an existing ROW that can be utilized for the REM L'est that can go to Pointe-Aux-Trembles. The Green Line can be extended from Honore-Beaureguard to Montreal-Est and can connect at the corner of Broadway & Victoria/Prince Albert (https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4882...4!8i8192?hl=en) and connect with the REM on that intersection as opposed to building an expensive and superfluous elevated structure along Sherbrooke St. The Pie-IX subway I also support into Montreal-Nord, but the Park Ave segment, I'd rather see the Montreal Metro use that segment all the way from Quartier Dix10 in Brossard to Sainte Rose in Laval via Bonaventure Expwy, Bluery St, Park Ave, and Boulevard de l'Acadie.

Here's my pros and cons for the REM:

PROS:
- cheaper to construct in comparison to the Montreal Metro.
- gives commuters an elevated view of the city of Montreal from certain parts.
- more modern trains and clean energy.
- future connection to Dorval.

CONS:
- at-grade & elevated segments exposed to elements, and serviced could be delayed and even cancelled.
- imposing the Sherbrooke St elevated structure could mar the aesthetics of eastern Montreal.
- not sure if the REM will have free transfers to the Montreal Metro.
- gentrification may be an issue for affected areas near transit lines.

Personally, I'm an old fashioned guy growing up in Brooklyn and living in Philadelphia, but the boring technology is very similar to the same technology used in the London Underground. I believe that the Canadian gov't should subsidize mass transit since 55% of Canada lives in fairly dense urban areas. In the end, I support the REM, but I also support the Metro as well, and while I generally support the REM's expansion, I also support any effort to greatly expand Montreal's Metro as well. I'd love for Montreal to succeed again and hopefully Trudeau can see the full potential of his city from a mass transit perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2022, 11:57 AM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times
All good points. I do believe that transit needs to be enhanced wherever possible, because the era of EV’s is a wasteful perspective for me. The crazy rush toward mining for evermore depleting resources, the pollution, the waste of energy in getting at these resources is way more problematic than the status quo in petroleum/gas combustion.

Old 12-29-2022, 12:31 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
It would have been ideal to expand the Métro instead of switching to the REM format, but going for the REM has allowed for a huge expansion (almost doubling) the urban and suburban rail system coverage in a fairly short period of time. And surely at a much lower cost than doing all of that as a Métro.

Old 12-29-2022, 12:41 PM

I'm all for the REM format, but I also believe that the Montreal Metro is basically one of Montreal's eight wonders, along with:

-Cité Subteranean
-Mount Royal
-Museé Belles Artes de Montreal
-Old Montreal (including Bonsecours Market & Notre-Dame Cathedral)
-Olympic Stadium
-St. Lawrence River (including Parc Jean-Drapeau & the Seaway)
-The Forum

There really needs to be a priority for the Montreal Metro.

Old 12-29-2022, 12:54 PM

Not sure if you've been to the Forum recently but it's pretty depressing what they turned it into.

I don't even want to go near there - it makes too angry!

Old 12-29-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
I'm all for the REM format, but I also believe that the Montreal Metro is basically one of Montreal's eight wonders, along with:

-Cité Subteranean
-Mount Royal
-Museé Belles Artes de Montreal
-Old Montreal (including Bonsecours Market & Notre-Dame Cathedral)
-Olympic Stadium
-St. Lawrence River (including Parc Jean-Drapeau & the Seaway)
-The Forum

There really needs to be a priority for the Montreal Metro.
I believe any new lines in the future will be REM-style, but there are still plans to expand existing Métro lines.

The main one is the blue line which will be expanded eastward to the Anjou district with 5 or 6 new stations.

Construction will start in 2023 I think.

The orange line will also be extended a short distance from Côte-Vertu to the Bois-Franc neighbourhood of Ville St-Laurent.

And there are plans to extend the yellow line for 5-6 new stations in Longueuil on the south shore. But no fixed date for that.

There are no plans to extend the green line I think.

Old 12-29-2022, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not sure if you've been to the Forum recently but it's pretty depressing what they turned it into.

I don't even want to go near there - it makes too angry!
It's sad, but the Canadiens needed to survive and the Forum wasn't going to do any favors, no matter how many championships the Habs won in the old barn. The Bell Centre needed to be built to not only carry the tabs into the new age and keep them operating, but also to attract and NBA team to Montreal, which should've happened back in the 90s, but the NBA felt that it was better to place one team in the Eastern Conference (Toronto) and another in the Western, but we all know that Montreal was well equipped to support and patronize an NBA team! Go Alouettes! Go Habs! Go Expos (again)! And Go Concordes (hopefully the new name for the hopeful NBA team)!

Old 12-29-2022, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I believe any new lines in the future will be REM-style, but there are still plans to expand existing Métro lines.

The main one is the blue line which will be expanded eastward to the Anjou district with 5 or 6 new stations.

Needs to happen pronto as well as another fully underground Blue line link to Dorval.

Quote:

The orange line will also be extended a short distance from Côte-Vertu to the Bois-Franc neighbourhood of Ville St-Laurent.
Also needs to happen at the Bois Franc REM station. Montreal doesn't need a circle line!

Quote:
And there are plans to extend the yellow line for 5-6 new stations in Longueuil on the south shore. But no fixed date for that.

There are no plans to extend the green line I think.
I feel that the Quebec government really needs to consider plans to make a second regional airport for Montreal. Only difference is that Longueuil-St Hubert should be to Montreal what LaGuardia is to NY, Billy Bishop to Toronto, and Midway is to Chicago, a regional (not transatlantic) airport which could help alleviate congestion from Dorval.

The Green Line really needs to be extended to Lasalle station and maybe even Montreal-Est and create a transit hub in that town with the REM.

Old 12-29-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I feel that the Quebec government really needs to consider plans to make a second regional airport for Montreal. Only difference is that Longueuil-St Hubert should be to Montreal what LaGuardia is to NY, Billy Bishop to Toronto, and Midway is to Chicago, a regional (not transatlantic) airport which could help alleviate congestion from Dorval.
I doubt that will happen. Not for a very long time. People were badly burned by the Mirabel debacle.

Old 12-29-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:
It's sad, but the Canadiens needed to survive and the Forum wasn't going to do any favors, no matter how many championships the Habs won in the old barn. The Bell Centre needed to be built to not only carry the tabs into the new age and keep them operating, but also to attract and NBA team to Montreal, which should've happened back in the 90s, but the NBA felt that it was better to place one team in the Eastern Conference (Toronto) and another in the Western, but we all know that Montreal was well equipped to support and patronize an NBA team! Go Alouettes! Go Habs! Go Expos (again)! And Go Concordes (hopefully the new name for the hopeful NBA team)!
I am fine with the Bell Centre and what they have done with it and its surroundings.

The Forum is now a write-off for me in terms of memories - actually memories are all that is left.

It's as good as demolished in the minds of most fans. I don't know anyone who would think of making a pilgrimage there as a fan.

When Guy Lafleur died this year I didn't hear about anyone going there to remember his greatest moments, many of which took place in that building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal