U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:56 AM

57 posts, read 723,434 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My wife speaks French fluently and would like to move to Quebec. The problem is I don't speak French and dont intend to learn it.

Can I, a non-french speaking person, live in Quebec and find it easy to work in good jobs:

I will be looking at work in these areas: IT project management (have US work experience in this) or in Psychotherapy / counseling (have an MA degree from the US in psychotherapy).

Also I may go to grad school for a PhD program in Quebec.

2 Questions:

1- If you've lived there, what is the attitude people have towards non-french speakers?

2- Are there cities that I should live in and ones I should avoid due to the language thing (relating to work and going to grad school)?

Thanks a million !!!

Last edited by ethanre; 07-10-2009 at 01:19 PM..
Rate this post positively

Old 07-10-2009, 10:33 PM

Anybody??

Old 07-11-2009, 01:35 AM

99 posts, read 355,015 times
Question Um.. have you thought this through?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanre View Post
Hi,
My wife speaks French fluently and would like to move to Quebec. The problem is I don't speak French and dont intend to learn it.

I'm not from Quebec... but I don't really have to be, to read between the lines of your post.

It sounds like your wife wants to move to Quebec, and you really hate the idea... but not enough to outright refuse to live with her there.

So, it seems that you're planning to try and passive/aggressive the whole situation by moving to a new place "under duress" and then working hard to sabotage the whole move by intentionally never learning the lingua franca of the new place... so that you can later say that you "tried to live there, but things didn't work out", thereby placing some sort of obligation/burden on her to "meet you half way" by moving back out of Quebec. Which, of course, is what you wanted in the first place.

Heck... as a Psychotherapist you should be well acquainted with whatever this sort of train of behavior is called.

Anyway... my advice is to either move to a new place with your wife with the full intention of making things work... which includes learning the language spoken there... or quit playing games and tell her that it'll end up in divorce if she makes you move there.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:12 AM

Kristan,
LOL.

So, a compromise wont work? is that because you have to learn French to live there? I thought Quebec had English speaking communities where we could move?

I will naturally learn the language, but it will take yrs before I am fluent, but I want to be able to work in a decent job right away, that's why I'm looking for English speaking cities in Quebec.

Luckily I found some info on Wikipedia:

Montreal or Quebec City:

Quote:
The English-speaking community of Montreal is extremely diverse, having always been influenced by successive waves of immigration into the city; even today 36% of anglophones in Quebec were born outside Canada.[2]A large proportion of Quebec's English-speaking population resides in or near Montreal. Most reside on the Island of Montreal, particularly in the West Island and in the western half of Montreal's urban core, where there is a well-established network of English-language educational, social, cultural, economic, and medical institutions. Some suburbs north, south and west of the Island have significant English-speaking populations.

Many American and Anglo-Scot merchants settled in Quebec City in the nineteenth century, but the majority of anglophones were working-class Irish immigrants. In the 1860s, the proportion of English-speakers reached a historic high of 40%.[9] The population gradually dwindled as Montreal replaced Quebec City as a center of commerce and industry. English-speakers now represent 1.9% of the total population in the Quebec metropolitan area.[10] The Morrin Centre[11] is a cultural hub for Quebec City's English-speaking community, linked together by media "institutions" such as the Chronicle-Telegraph[12], CBC Radio One[13] in Quebec City, and the La Maison Anglaise[14] bookstore.

All English-speaking communities outside the Montreal metropolitan area have been in decline for over a century, except for aboriginal communities in the North. However, communities near Montreal, Ontario and the American border are still large enough to constitute a sizeable yet shrinking minority in these regions.
Culture:

Quote:
English culture in Quebec tends to blend in seamlessly with the Canadian and North American mainstream. Unlike their francophone neighbours who identify culturally with Quebec, English-speaking Quebecers typically identify culturally as Canadian. As a result, English-speaking Quebecers look outward from Quebec to support their cultural identity. The result is limited assimilation into mainstream Quebec cultural institutions.
In the Montreal area, Quebecers have access to a wide range of English-language cultural activities and outlets (record stores, bookstores, cinemas, museums, concerts) concentrated in Downtown Montreal and the West Island. Outside Montreal, resources are much less common.
From: English-speaking Quebecker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I keep finding that speaking English only in Quebec is a disadvantage. I guess you are correct, I should not go there.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:52 AM

502 posts, read 1,305,669 times
My personal advice, as a person speaking mainly English (but also knowing some French - intermediate level, but hating it), and living in Montreal: Don't do it! Choose British Columbia or Southern Ontario (Windsor, Leamington, London, Waterloo) or Toronto instead.

City of Quebec is even worse than MTL with the language aspect. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:05 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience.. my line of though.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:21 AM

What about Nova Scotia ?

Old 07-11-2009, 10:09 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,345,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristan View Post
I'm not from Quebec... but I don't really have to be, to read between the lines of your post.

It sounds like your wife wants to move to Quebec, and you really hate the idea... but not enough to outright refuse to live with her there.

So, it seems that you're planning to try and passive/aggressive the whole situation by moving to a new place "under duress" and then working hard to sabotage the whole move by intentionally never learning the lingua franca of the new place... so that you can later say that you "tried to live there, but things didn't work out", thereby placing some sort of obligation/burden on her to "meet you half way" by moving back out of Quebec. Which, of course, is what you wanted in the first place.

Heck... as a Psychotherapist you should be well acquainted with whatever this sort of train of behavior is called.

Anyway... my advice is to either move to a new place with your wife with the full intention of making things work... which includes learning the language spoken there... or quit playing games and tell her that it'll end up in divorce if she makes you move there.
I think the OP asks a legitimate question as the other responses bear out.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:13 AM

409 posts, read 1,402,235 times
Quebec City would be nearly impossible for somebody will little inclination to learning French. Montreal would be better but speaking only English would still be a disadvantage.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:27 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,875,162 times
This post is insulting. French is the only official language of the province of Quebec. If you have no intention of learning it, then don't move there because you'll never find a job.

Try living in Gatineau and working in Ottawa instead, it is a bit less bilingual there than Montreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal