Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 04:37 AM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times

Advertisements

For what it's worth, I heard that the Kohl's fell through and won't be happening. At least not in the foreseeable future. That might be why they are looking into this type of development.

Also, it will be interesting to see if they can actually get a new exit just for this development. I've always heard that new exits are hard to justify and must meet certain requirements. Who knows though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 04:44 AM

552 posts, read 738,241 times
Yea I hate to be a pessimist, but last time I went to a pirates game the ticket was only 8 dollars and the stands were only half full if that and we are talking professional. This has nothing to do with morgantown, but any location would be bad with baseball.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:06 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
Kohl's has not fell thru.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:24 AM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Kohl's has not fell thru.
Who knows, maybe it hasn't but my wife has family close to the situation and they recently told her that it had fallen through. Either way, I never count anything like this a sure thing until the doors open.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:36 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post
Yea I hate to be a pessimist, but last time I went to a pirates game the ticket was only 8 dollars and the stands were only half full if that and we are talking professional. This has nothing to do with morgantown, but any location would be bad with baseball.
I disagree. Semi pro tickets are not expensive at any rate, the the Pirate's lack of quality actually creates a push for more localized venues. Besides, attendance isn't the driving factor for the major league teams. Franchise ownership is the thing because just being part of the equation gives you huge television revenues and merchandise royalties. I feel confident the Nuttings would acknowledge that. The "Little Washington" semi pro franchise does very well, and it is located just 25 miles from the Pirates home venue.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
For what it's worth, I heard that the Kohl's fell through and won't be happening. At least not in the foreseeable future. That might be why they are looking into this type of development.

Also, it will be interesting to see if they can actually get a new exit just for this development. I've always heard that new exits are hard to justify and must meet certain requirements. Who knows though.
I've heard nothing about Kohls falling, but who knows what will happen with any of the big ticket major stores these days? All facilities like this seem to have a 20 to 25 year lifespan even when they start successfully. I have the impression that in general they, along with such entities as the Postal Service, are under intense pressure from alternative buying opportunities. Folks aren't going to the major stores in droves like in the past. They seem to be transitioning more to specialty shops and internet ordering. UPS and FedEx can get stuff to you in a day's time and you don't have to pay for gas or make the drive.

The thing about the Towne Center development is they already have other stores lined up to fill the niche there. As to the new exit criteria, one only has to go to the Highlands in Ohio County to see how it can pay off. With the right combination of stores there, the exit can facilitate a huge draw that brings in folks from a significant distance. We're already getting shoppers here from Waynesburg that used to go to Washington for shopping, for example. It is easier for them to get to shopping on that end of town than it is to fight the major congestion in Washington to get to the Route 19 shopping locations there and the distance both ways is about the same.

In any event, my impression is they don't expect the Feds and the state to foot the whole bill for exit construction, and they are looking at the exit as part of a project to open up the other side of I79 for commercial development too. I believe it would also open up more residential construction alternatives and help eliminate some of the pressure on the West Run area (getting pretty saturated) in terms of new building.

Hopefully this project will inject an element of logic and planning into the process. It is certain the new construction is going to take place. We are expecting more than 2,000 new jobs in this region in the next couple of years with developments at WVU Healthcare and the FBI complex. Those people are going to be living and shopping somewhere. The smart thing is to make it as easy as possible for them, and as less disruptive as possible for everyone.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:08 AM

163 posts, read 449,759 times
Also, the Pirates are the only bad team in that organization. Their AAA, AA and A teams (Indianapolis, Altoona and Brandenton, FL) are all very good and very.competitive.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:27 PM

I might be wrong, but I believe Nutting has a stake in the minor league franchise at State College, PA (home to Penn State). The whole idea might be coming from the Nuttings or from Oliver Luck. Either way, we are dealing with folks who have an amazing history of success. I think this thing will not only be highly successful, it will be a springboard for development in the entire area between Morgantown's north side and Mount Morris.

There is another matter that comes to play here too. One of the very few strip mines in the northern part of the state is located not far from that location on the other side of I79. I detest strip mining, but one thing is does do is provide flat land that is suitable for building construction and the like. I hve a hunch the intent is to tie into this land too as part of the development process. When the strip mine plays out in a few years (as do they all) look for large housing, commercial or combination development there.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:14 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I might be wrong, but I believe Nutting has a stake in the minor league franchise at State College, PA (home to Penn State). The whole idea might be coming from the Nuttings or from Oliver Luck. Either way, we are dealing with folks who have an amazing history of success. I think this thing will not only be highly successful, it will be a springboard for development in the entire area between Morgantown's north side and Mount Morris.

There is another matter that comes to play here too. One of the very few strip mines in the northern part of the state is located not far from that location on the other side of I79. I detest strip mining, but one thing is does do is provide flat land that is suitable for building construction and the like. I hve a hunch the intent is to tie into this land too as part of the development process. When the strip mine plays out in a few years (as do they all) look for large housing, commercial or combination development there.
Id take a mountain hundreds of millions of years old over a McNeighborhood or a 5 guys anyday.

The things we do to beautiful WV so some *******s somewhere else can get rich. It is not worth it.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:32 PM

I agree 100%. In fact, I flew over southern WV a few weeks 7 miles high and could see the devastation there from mountaintop removal. It seemed every other mountain had this hideous scar across the entire face of it. They need to stop that practice. If they can't get to the coal in the usual underground manner, it should be left right where it's located.

But, my point is that land will be there in any case and it will be level. I suspect they will put it to use since it is in the right location. The coal company would probably give it to a developer just to rid itself of an obligation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown