U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:49 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,097,585 times

Advertisements

According to the Dominion Post http://ee.dominionpost.com/Repositor...DP20120216.pdf

Among other developments, FEOH Realty would like to put in a baseball park and a new access road to the University Town Center with a new exit on I-79. The park would be for a semi-pro baseball team (presumably) like the Washington (Pa) Wild Things. WVU Baseball would also be a primary tenant.

Oh and don't worry, due to the topography of the parcel, you wouldn't actually be able to see Walmart from the stands.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 09:02 PM

5,276 posts, read 7,399,231 times
New exit? Wow who is paying for this???

Old 02-16-2012, 09:16 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,097,585 times
It appears as though the development needs State approval as they will probably establish a Tax Increment Financing (TIF) District to pay for most of the infrastructure work. It will be a mix of TIF and private development by FEOH Realty. It seems as if Morgantown might get help from Charleston if the new exit (Exit 154 presumably) comes to fruition!

And I know Chris isn't starting it, but please don't let this thread get hijacked with cries of neglect of NCWV. Let's just keep this one positive, please, as this is a wonderful development and one sorely needed (especially the access road).

Old 02-16-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
It appears as though the development needs State approval as they will probably establish a Tax Increment Financing (TIF) District to pay for most of the infrastructure work. It will be a mix of TIF and private development by FEOH Realty. It seems as if Morgantown might get help from Charleston if the new exit (Exit 154 presumably) comes to fruition!

And I know Chris isn't starting it, but please don't let this thread get hijacked with cries of neglect of NCWV. Let's just keep this one positive, please, as this is a wonderful development and one sorely needed (especially the access road).
Agree 100% This is a positive addition for Morgantown and an additional exit should happen with some kind of connection to Westover.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:35 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,270,674 times
Quote:

I think it's about time they built some much needed infrastructure here. Look at the hugely expensive new bridge they recently built in Charleston. We have outstanding growth going on in our area. It is the state's responsibility to support that. They are getting mega tax dollars from here. I'm not saying that to complain about Charleston, but the need here is obvious. Besides, it isn't like Charleston would be spending any of their own money.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Agree 100% This is a positive addition for Morgantown and an additional exit should happen with some kind of connection to Westover.
I think the exit should tie into the potential to extend I68 through western Monongalia to Moundsville. That tie in along with completing the upgrade of WV2 from Weirton to Huntington would open up valuable Ohio Vallen industrial capacity to new markets in an efficient manner, and the I68 part would be accomplished with 90% Federal funding.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:

Yep, that pretty well sums it up. Besides, if I'm not mistaken, the TIF program isn't really financed by the state. It simply allows for improvements on a tax exempt basis. I'm not certain about that though. What makes this an especially good idea is WVU is going to have to build new baseball facilities in any case, so if this is handled properly that would eliminate the need for that. NCWV would easily support a good minor league team just as Washington PA does. That facility in Washington is beautiful. It could also be used for other events besides baseball here and draw good crowds.

I wonder who would be sponsoring the minor league team?

Old 02-17-2012, 09:35 PM

939 posts, read 1,701,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I think it's about time they built some much needed infrastructure here. Look at the hugely expensive new bridge they recently built in Charleston. We have outstanding growth going on in our area. It is the state's responsibility to support that. They are getting mega tax dollars from here. I'm not saying that to complain about Charleston, but the need here is obvious. Besides, it isn't like Charleston would be spending any of their own money.
That hugely expensive bridge was built to solve a traffic problem,one that still plagues the area even after its construction. It's not like they built it with a field of dreams philosophy. The capacity was already being exceeded by a lot and commuters needed the extra bridge. Despite many North Central resident's belief that Charleston is a dying town, they couldn't be more wrong. The rather stagnant population of Charleston over the last 30 years doesn't take into consideration the population boom in the Valley, where many of the Charleston Metro area workers choose to reside. Once you get west of Nitro, it's basically one giant suburb until you reach Barboursville, with constant development and improvement.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:58 PM

6,347 posts, read 8,891,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
That hugely expensive bridge was built to solve a traffic problem,one that still plagues the area even after its construction. It's not like they built it with a field of dreams philosophy. The capacity was already being exceeded by a lot and commuters needed the extra bridge. Despite many North Central resident's belief that Charleston is a dying town, they couldn't be more wrong. The rather stagnant population of Charleston over the last 30 years doesn't take into consideration the population boom in the Valley, where many of the Charleston Metro area workers choose to reside. Once you get west of Nitro, it's basically one giant suburb until you reach Barboursville, with constant development and improvement.
You are right the bridge didnt solve the traffic problems because it was needed 20 years ago. Morgantown needs much more than is being given.

Charleston is stagnant, and so is Kanawa county, take a look: http://2010.census.gov/news/img/cb11cn114_wv_perchange_2010map.jpg (broken link)

We still dont want to see you Charleston being denied infrastructure. We support the whole state.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
This is still my favorite quote from this thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown