Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:01 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times

Advertisements

Researchers expect that the pace of economic growth in the Morgantown area will pick up in the coming years...

Article - WVU report: Economic growth should pick up in next 5 years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 12:53 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,070,678 times
Sounds like the area will continue expanding for at least the next 4-5 years.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:35 PM

The pace of growth is expected to rise from an average of 1.4% per year to 1.8% per year over the next five years. There is every indication that growth will continue past the five years at a higher rate than we have had in the past.

The economic future for Morgantown appears very bright. Things that weren't mentioned in the report are anticipated growth in the generic pharma industry due to the expiration of patents on several brand name drugs this year. Also, it is likely that this region will share in the downstream industrial growth of the Marcellus ethane developments.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:39 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,825,377 times
The whole I-79 corridor from Metro Pittsburgh through Clarksburg is booming! I always felt it was a stroke of genius on West Virginia's part to place its flagship university in Morgantown... now the Pittsburgh-Morgantown megaregion is starting to generate great economic momentum.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:46 PM

389 posts, read 796,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
The whole I-79 corridor from Metro Pittsburgh through Clarksburg is booming! I always felt it was a stroke of genius on West Virginia's part to place its flagship university in Morgantown... now the Pittsburgh-Morgantown megaregion is starting to generate great economic momentum.
I don't know if I'd say that. Following I-79 north from Morgantown, Greene County is losing population, although I'd say there is a strong possibility of future growth as Morgantown expands northward. Washington County, one of only two counties in the seven-county Pittsburgh Metro to see any population growth at all, saw 2.4% growth between 2000 and 2010 which equates to about 5,000 new residents. Allegheny County, home to Pittsburgh, lost 58,318 residents between 2000 and 2010. That's a lot and I'd hardly call such an area "booming." Recently, there's been all this talk about how Pittsburgh's population loss is slowing and how intellectuals and the creative class are moving in as others move out. Those are surely good signs, but Pittsburgh still has quite a lot of recovering to do.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:31 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,825,377 times
Population growth is not the same as economic growth. At this point, Metro Pittsburgh's population decline is due to a "birth deficit"... caused by a long period of extreme economic distress in the 70s and 80s... massive outmigration took place... which distorted the demographics of the region. This has resulted in an overhang of elderly population that is dying off.

Metro Pittsburgh today experiences net in-migration and has very favorable demographics in terms of education and "brain gain". The economy is diverse and resilient and is one of the only major economies to have recovered all jobs lost during the Great Recession. In fact, the Pittsburgh region is at an all-time high for employment and labor force.

It's easy to make judgments based upon that big population number... but you really have to look at the components of population change... to understand the demographic evolution taking place in Pittsburgh.

As for Greene County... it sucks... but besides that little gap... there is a lot of economic vibrancy along the I-79 corridor from Cranberry Township through Morgantown and along the "High-Tech Corridor" to Clarksburg.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
I don't know if I'd say that. Following I-79 north from Morgantown, Greene County is losing population, although I'd say there is a strong possibility of future growth as Morgantown expands northward. Washington County, one of only two counties in the seven-county Pittsburgh Metro to see any population growth at all, saw 2.4% growth between 2000 and 2010 which equates to about 5,000 new residents. Allegheny County, home to Pittsburgh, lost 58,318 residents between 2000 and 2010. That's a lot and I'd hardly call such an area "booming." Recently, there's been all this talk about how Pittsburgh's population loss is slowing and how intellectuals and the creative class are moving in as others move out. Those are surely good signs, but Pittsburgh still has quite a lot of recovering to do.
I don't agree. Although Pittsburgh has lost population, the outlying areas have not in general. And, the real growth potential is not along I79 per se but along the Mon River Valley. I79 was simply an interstate bypass of the more congested areas. Look for things to turn around in Greene County though. Natural gas will turn things around there too. Next time you are here, drive around Mount Morris, and Waynesburg has a new air of prosperity about it too. Green county is turning from mostly farm country to a resources center.

What you're seeing in Pittsburgh is the slow dying off of the baby boomers who used to work in the mills, and the moving southward of the survivors.
The town is reinventing itself. It probably will never be its once glorious industrial self, but it isn't going to die. Like all the larger towns, population movement continues to suburbs and exburbs too. Most of that 2+% population growth in Washington County took place in the latter part of the last decade. The trend continues upward there too.
One thing I have noticed is a lot more folks commuting to work in Pittsburgh from the Wheeling area, for example, so that whole corridor is seeing movement too. You really can't measure economic activity strictly in terms of population because people sometimes live in nearby areas but work in others. We're seeing more and more of that around here.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:39 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Like all the larger towns, population movement continues to suburbs and exburbs too.
That's not true, at least not anymore. Between 2010 and 2011, the Pittsburgh MSA added just over 3,000 people, with Allegheny County adding just under 4,000 people. That means the other six metropolitan counties combined still lost about 800 people, but Allegheny County much more than compensated for it. Future growth in the Pittsburgh MSA will be from the inside out.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
That's not true, at least not anymore. Between 2010 and 2011, the Pittsburgh MSA added just over 3,000 people, with Allegheny County adding just under 4,000 people. That means the other six metropolitan counties combined still lost about 800 people, but Allegheny County much more than compensated for it. Future growth in the Pittsburgh MSA will be from the inside out.
They had a bit of a rebound with the general economic downturn of the country, but the unmistakable trend is downward for the urban areas. Pittsburgh will stabilize, but it won't approach the glory years of pre 1980s.
Even the manufacturing that is returning from cheap labor countries because our super rich have moved our whole country in the direction of 3rd. world status and the illegal aliens are threatening to complete the journey, the new plants are not being built inside the cities.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:25 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
The jobs are in our region...hospitals, Wvu expansion, Mining and Gas.

All pay very well.

With the expansion of those keystone jobs comes the expansion of the services need to keep everyone happy.... recreation, food, cars, clothing, hobbies and leisure.

Morgantown also has and will continue to have a greater political presence in Charleston and Washington, DC.

I see Morgantown and Fayette County booming for about 15 years with unprecedented growth.

It's too bad Joe Hardy is so old now.
I would have gone into the south side of Uniontown and built several thousand town homes and pulled the revenue and people into Uniontown. Now, its too late as Glen-Mark has beat him to the punch.

All in all, Morgantown is in good hands and will be guided in an excellent manner. Good for us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown