U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:02 PM

389 posts, read 718,041 times

Advertisements

I drove by Damon's Grill in Suncrest Towne Centre today and it looked like the place had been boarded up on the inside. Does anyone know if it has closed? I really like the food there, but I did notice that they were never busy. If they have closed, this will have been the first business that I have seen shutter its doors in Morgantown.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 10:50 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,096,197 times
Yeah, it closed up last week, without much warning at all. It had to do with the new BDubs opening down at the main building. The bulk of the sports crowd headed down there. The chain restaurant The Tilted Kilt will take its place. Easiest way to summarize - it's like a Scottish Hooters.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:44 AM

6,347 posts, read 8,888,111 times
Tons of restaurants close in Morgantown every year.

Morgantown probably has the highest restaurant rate per capita in WV so it is a tough market.

I imagine the nail in the coffin was bdubs opening. It cant compete.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:20 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,262,602 times
Some close, but more open. We have a growing selection of eateries. Damons was nice, but it was not really unique. There are several comparable entries in that particular niche. The tilted kilt sounds great!

Old 04-24-2012, 12:21 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,091,435 times
It's a shame it closed. I always wanted to try it out but you are right. There is a good amount of competition. One thing that I have always found odd is that there is not a TGI Fridays in Motown. I think they would make a killing

Old 04-24-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
It's a shame it closed. I always wanted to try it out but you are right. There is a good amount of competition. One thing that I have always found odd is that there is not a TGI Fridays in Motown. I think they would make a killing
Again, tough market.

I have no desire to eat at yet another lousy chain, but people do like bad restaurants so you could very well be right.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
They built Damons right up the road from the very well established Kegler's Sports Bar. It had an uphill fight from the very beginning. The Tilted Kilt will likely do better with a totally different motif.

Actually, I don't believe TGI Fridays would provide anything unique here. What we need is a Hooters. That would be an instant success.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:29 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,419,786 times
Hooters has awful food. They didn't last 5 years in State College, and the location in Pittsburgh closed a few years ago. It's an obsolete concept.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
They built Damons right up the road from the very well established Kegler's Sports Bar. It had an uphill fight from the very beginning. The Tilted Kilt will likely do better with a totally different motif.

Actually, I don't believe TGI Fridays would provide anything unique here. What we need is a Hooters. That would be an instant success.
Where is the titled kilt being built?

There was a Hooters in Morgantown along time ago right? In Star City?

I could see it being successful, although again it is just a generic restaurant with mediocre food that relies on a niche, waitresses who are slightly scantily clad, to sell overpriced bad food.

I knew women who worked their and they didnt even have big hooters, but would use tape or special bras to make them look bigger. They are also really not dressed that sexy.

It is a place for 40 year old guys to have a mid life crisis and flirt with the waitresses because they are boring miserable people.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Where is the titled kilt being built?

There was a Hooters in Morgantown along time ago right? In Star City?

I could see it being successful, although again it is just a generic restaurant with mediocre food that relies on a niche, waitresses who are slightly scantily clad, to sell overpriced bad food.

I knew women who worked their and they didnt even have big hooters, but would use tape or special bras to make them look bigger. They are also really not dressed that sexy.

It is a place for 40 year old guys to have a mid life crisis and flirt with the waitresses because they are boring miserable people.
LOL... well, there are plenty of middle aged duffers who would find that attractive. I never tried the food at a Hooters, but I doubt folks would be going there for that. I didn't know about the Star City endeavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown