U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 05:10 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,102,026 times

Advertisements

per WV MetroNews

No earth-shattering news, except that the project is moving forward and a clarification on the timeline. The developer (Jason Donahue, FEOH Realty) had a meeting with the Mon County Planning Commission this morning to push the project along, after which he outlined the schedule. He hopes to have the application submitted by next week, and after a public review and final approval, the project would be submitted to the Legislature for TIF approval at the end of July/beginning of August.

I am SO pumped!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 07:14 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,298,135 times
Default From Metro News

WVU Baseball Stadium Moving Forward
Chip Fontanazza
Morgantown

The developer of a proposed new baseball stadium for Morgantown to house the WVU Mountaineers and potentially a minor league team made his pitch Wednesday to the Monongalia County Commission.

FEOH realty Developer Jason Donahue says one of the hurdles is a new I-79 interchange that would alleviate traffic problems at the University Town Center--the proposed site of the stadim.

Monongalia County Commissioner Bill Bartolo said it's possible that TIF (tax increment financing) money could pay for the highway improvement. Under TIF, a portion of the tax revenue collected from a development is used to help pay for the project.

Donahue says he shares Bartolo's concerns about the traffic.

“He feels that the interchange is one of the most important components of the project,” said Donahue. “He sees that as being a true public benefit and he wants to make sure the TIF is going to provide that true benefit.”

“We couldn’t agree more,” continued Donahue. “We think the interchange is the absolute key to the success of the overall project. It's going to address an immediate short term need and provide for future growth.”

Donahue says they’re hoping to schedule a public hearing on the project for June, and then bring it before a special session of the Legislature later this year.

Link: Metro News

Old 06-02-2012, 12:16 AM

With all the development going on at that end of town, along with in Suncrest and Evansdale, we are seeing the beginning of a whole new era of continued prosperity for Morgantown.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:08 AM

5,281 posts, read 7,414,232 times
I didn't realize how bad the current baseball stadium is until a few weeks ago. This is a need, with or without a semi pro team. I wish they could build the park more in town though. Having ballparks in strip malls is an unattractive thought, and it would be great if it would be near the current one. Still though, good to hear this moving along, power park here has been a huge success and is a highlight of our town.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I didn't realize how bad the current baseball stadium is until a few weeks ago. This is a need, with or without a semi pro team. I wish they could build the park more in town though. Having ballparks in strip malls is an unattractive thought, and it would be great if it would be near the current one. Still though, good to hear this moving along, power park here has been a huge success and is a highlight of our town.
We don't have the needed space to build it near the current one. There are so many developments going on they need to reserve space in the coliseum area. There are plans for a potential huge parking facility in that area for one thing. And, The University and medical component are undertaking $400 million in new constructions and rennovations on the Evansdale and Medical Center campuses in the next few years.

Those developments mean both space and money is at a premium. The new baseball park will be almost entirely privately financed, including the parking facilities. It is in an area adequately served by public transportation with ready access to shopping, numerous restaurants, and a very nice hotel.
It even has a movie theater nearby and with the new Interstate exit it will be highly accessable.

This is a win-win-win for the developers, The University, and the area. It means WVU will have access to a first rate facility at minimal cost, and the area will have yet another venue it can use for concerts and other activities in addition to baseball.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:12 AM

235 posts, read 261,264 times
When are they planning to build the parking building?

Old 06-13-2012, 09:01 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,102,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvu2016 View Post
When are they planning to build the parking building?
Well, there are a few spots possible. One is in the area of the Coliseum parking lot closest to the arboretum and Mon Boulevard (across the road from the CAC) which would have an integrated pedestrian bridge over the road. Other spots I've heard include the Shoney's site, which would be a terrible idea, and even where Hawley is right now.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:14 PM

One of the commissioners, a guy by the name of Bartolo, is throwing wrenches in the mix and trying to mess things up. This project is a win-win for everyone involved and in reality costs nothing because it is paid for by taxes on improvements, that wouldn't be there anyway without the improvements. I'm wondering when that clown has to run for reelection again?

Old 06-14-2012, 07:16 AM

664 posts, read 928,458 times
Agreed. Bartolo is acting out, and in very poor choice on this issue. I hope it backfires against him - but his words about paying for this project "on the shoulders of taxpayers" is likely to bring the conservative crazies out of the woodwork, regardless of the projects' ability to create much growth and jobs.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:43 AM

Well, I'm a conervative and it is apparent to me this is a good deal for taxpayers. It will cost them absolutely nothing. The taxes aren't even there yet, and wouldn't be there without the development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown