Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 03:34 PM

939 posts, read 1,893,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Yeah morgantown needs more strip malls. It is also needs more big apartment complexes.

I miss the days when it really was a college town.
Hey, look at it this way, at least you'll feel comfortable when visiting from Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 12:36 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
An interesting thing about the development going on around Morgantown is the fact that it is not all concentrated in one place. Much of it is spread out around the town, while outlying areas include Suncrest, University Town Center, and Pierpont. All three are experiencing great growth and development.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:04 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Hey, look at it this way, at least you'll feel comfortable when visiting from Maryland.
You mean NOVA? That is why I stay out of there it is worse than Morgantown.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:26 PM

37 posts, read 48,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
An interesting thing about the development going on around Morgantown is the fact that it is not all concentrated in one place. Much of it is spread out around the town, while outlying areas include Suncrest, University Town Center, and Pierpont. All three are experiencing great growth and development.
Touching on our conversation in another thread, isn't this the type of thing that will also hurt Morgantown's tax base long term with all of this development outside of city limits?

Old 06-29-2013, 03:32 PM

671 posts, read 1,057,394 times
STC is inside city limits, but yes, the retail is drawn out of town. I'm not sure what the real effect is though since of these corporate businesses would not locate anywhere if in-town was the only option...

Old 06-29-2013, 04:41 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,950,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
STC is inside city limits, but yes, the retail is drawn out of town. I'm not sure what the real effect is though since of these corporate businesses would not locate anywhere if in-town was the only option...
FYI, per this map it appears that STC is just out of city limits. They also used to advertise that as an advantage of locating there, not having to pay city b&o taxes.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:22 PM

Most retail development these days takes place out of urban limits, and yes, Suncrest is outside of them. The Barboursville Mall is outside of Huntington's city limits too, as are the Ohio Valley Mall and Highlands outside of Wheeling's limits.

We're pretty jammed up inside the limits in Morgantown. There is not enough room for that sort of development, so they focus on service businesses. New businesses rarely choose to put themselves in a position to pay higher taxes just for the heck of it, or subject themselves to more regulation either. Also, outlaying areas rarely choose to join in with the core these days. It means contributing to the support of an older and more expansive central portion.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:04 AM

939 posts, read 1,893,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Most retail development these days takes place out of urban limits, and yes, Suncrest is outside of them. The Barboursville Mall is outside of Huntington's city limits too, as are the Ohio Valley Mall and Highlands outside of Wheeling's limits.

We're pretty jammed up inside the limits in Morgantown. There is not enough room for that sort of development, so they focus on service businesses. New businesses rarely choose to put themselves in a position to pay higher taxes just for the heck of it, or subject themselves to more regulation either. Also, outlaying areas rarely choose to join in with the core these days. It means contributing to the support of an older and more expansive central portion.
The problem here is that large cities have been reversing this trend for a decade. While being in an urban environment used to be viewed as a roadblock, being in a walkable community is now a major asset. While major american cities have been reversing the trend of suburban development for the last 20 years, smaller towns have not yet got the message. High Street and the entire downtown area are incredible assets. Currently, their convenience is only utilized by sleazy bars, but if MoTown planners focused their efforts on it, they could make the Downtown area of MoTown the most vibrant area of the state and a shining beacon. In reality, it already is the most vibrant area of the state, but think of the potential considering that it already has mass transit and entire nice portions of the city that you can walk to it from.

If I lived in Morgantown, I'd live in South Park and stroll downtown on a daily basis. What a great layout... Instead of encouraging dispersed horribly strip mall models that were obsolete before they were built, Morgantown should be encouraging density. Given the geographical constraints of the terrain, it would make sense to maximize the land utilization in areas that are already population-dense.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
The problem here is that large cities have been reversing this trend for a decade. While being in an urban environment used to be viewed as a roadblock, being in a walkable community is now a major asset. While major american cities have been reversing the trend of suburban development for the last 20 years, smaller towns have not yet got the message. High Street and the entire downtown area are incredible assets. Currently, their convenience is only utilized by sleazy bars, but if MoTown planners focused their efforts on it, they could make the Downtown area of MoTown the most vibrant area of the state and a shining beacon. In reality, it already is the most vibrant area of the state, but think of the potential considering that it already has mass transit and entire nice portions of the city that you can walk to it from.

If I lived in Morgantown, I'd live in South Park and stroll downtown on a daily basis. What a great layout... Instead of encouraging dispersed horribly strip mall models that were obsolete before they were built, Morgantown should be encouraging density. Given the geographical constraints of the terrain, it would make sense to maximize the land utilization in areas that are already population-dense.
There is merit to what you're saying, but High Street is not just sleezy bars. There are some very nice restaurants there and some nice bars too. They are even developing a new upscale hotel in that area.
There is no question that some of the development could be upgraded though. But personally, I would not be in favor of pushing density in that particular location. I would not want Morgantown to be a large city in that regard, with tall steel and glass structures in the traditionally college town portion. I would not oppose them near the Wharf District, or the north end of Beechurst, but I would want to basically leave High Street alone.

There is amazing momentum to the development here, and that would invariably push it to the outer fringes due to space considerations. Much of it is health services related, so parking is an issue, and The University has grown while at the same time preserving most of its traditional downtown core, but to do that the growth had to be in the outer area as well. The fact that retail development is not focused in one outlying area, like you find in Barboursville for example, lends itself to new housing stock being built in various parts of the area as well, rather than just in one portion. There could be improvements and greater coordination, no doubt about that. And, I would like to see a proactive approach taken in making sure you don't have to "pay for the same land twice", as Gen. George Patton said. That's why I hope when they build the bridge over I-79 they include a walking/biking component as well as the potential for PRT involvement. It's also the kind of planning that should have utility wires placed underground when they expand Mileground.

In short, I'm hoping for a proactive planning process rather than a reactive one.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:46 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
Quote:

Downtown Morgantown is already the most vibrant area in the state.

Morgantown is already the most walkable city in WV. In fact Morgantown is the 34th best walkable city in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown