Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 09:12 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Partying in frowned upon in academics. if your school is #1 for it, then its not good for the university and its staff. or the students that don't party. It could be a deciding factor in not getting a job over a graduate of a more mature college.
Chris, I can't imagine where you are getting that. First of all, the statistics are based on factors like number of underaged drinking arrests. Our students don't party any more than those at other schools. It is just that most schools simply ignore such things unless somebody is causing trouble. For some reason, here we want to make an issue out of age, which in reality has nothing to do with whether somebody will behave properly when drinking. We need to get our priorities straight. And, as to your assertion that it might cause our students to have a hard time getting a job... that is simply not true. Employers tend to pay close attention to the product, and many consider a strong social background a positive attribute. In fact, WVU is in the Top 30 destinations for recruiters of graduates in the country, and our graduates make considerably more money than those from many other schools, including Pitt and others that charge more for tuition. I haven't taken the time to see how we stack up against your alma mater, but I have a feeling we do very well. You could check for yourself on payscale.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 03:43 PM

6,070 posts, read 9,093,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Chris, I can't imagine where you are getting that. First of all, the statistics are based on factors like number of underaged drinking arrests. Our students don't party any more than those at other schools. It is just that most schools simply ignore such things unless somebody is causing trouble. For some reason, here we want to make an issue out of age, which in reality has nothing to do with whether somebody will behave properly when drinking. We need to get our priorities straight. And, as to your assertion that it might cause our students to have a hard time getting a job... that is simply not true. Employers tend to pay close attention to the product, and many consider a strong social background a positive attribute. In fact, WVU is in the Top 30 destinations for recruiters of graduates in the country, and our graduates make considerably more money than those from many other schools, including Pitt and others that charge more for tuition. I haven't taken the time to see how we stack up against your alma mater, but I have a feeling we do very well. You could check for yourself on payscale.com
So you are saying being a party school helps college students get jobs? If that is the case (which it isn't) then that is a flaw in our job system.

Don't stick up for poor behavior, under age drinking, and street riots. It is 100% negative, and thats a fact!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:19 PM

881 posts, read 2,091,853 times
CC, Seriously? No one's "sticking up for poor behavior, etc."
The reality is that this "ranking" is PR/Marketing for the PR at best - there's no baseline measurement, no index, nothing more than the most general queries. Given that reality, it's not a surprise that any initial members of such a list would tend to remain on said list - this is the very definition of "self perpetuating". I do have to chuckle @ comments that what's seen in Morgantown isn't seen on other campuses - in my travels I can say with great confidence that it takes a good deal of self delusion to even entertain such a statement.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
CC, Seriously? No one's "sticking up for poor behavior, etc."
The reality is that this "ranking" is PR/Marketing for the PR at best - there's no baseline measurement, no index, nothing more than the most general queries. Given that reality, it's not a surprise that any initial members of such a list would tend to remain on said list - this is the very definition of "self perpetuating". I do have to chuckle @ comments that what's seen in Morgantown isn't seen on other campuses - in my travels I can say with great confidence that it takes a good deal of self delusion to even entertain such a statement.
Just because its seen to some degree at most colleges, doesn't make it a positive thing. I'm not saying its isolated to being WVU, but that being ranked number 1 party school isn't a good thing for WVU. Its a bad mark, reguardless of if WVU actually deserves the ranking or not. WVU need to find ways to set itself apart from this reputation so that it can be taken more seriously by the academic world. There is a reason the ACC didn't want WVU, and thats because stupid rankings like this out weigh all of the positives that the university has pumped out over the last decade.

You can't just hide behind this kinda stuff, you have to find ways to make attending college funner, safer, and more meaningful to college students. Its not about parties, but establishing yourself as a young adult, and an educated citizen. With help, WVU can make a fun and clean atmosphere for learning without all of the partys.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:45 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,872,275 times
Quote:
Just because its seen to some degree at most colleges, doesn't make it a positive thing. I'm not saying its isolated to being WVU, but that being ranked number 1 party school isn't a good thing for WVU. Its a bad mark, reguardless of if WVU actually deserves the ranking or not. WVU need to find ways to set itself apart from this reputation so that it can be taken more seriously by the academic world. There is a reason the ACC didn't want WVU, and thats because stupid rankings like this out weigh all of the positives that the university has pumped out over the last decade.

You can't just hide behind this kinda stuff, you have to find ways to make attending college funner, safer, and more meaningful to college students. Its not about parties, but establishing yourself as a young adult, and an educated citizen. With help, WVU can make a fun and clean atmosphere for learning without all of the partys.
Our party ranking didn't stop us from getting into the big 12 which is much better than the ACC.

These rankings don't matter.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:47 AM

881 posts, read 2,091,853 times
"Its a bad mark, reguardless of if WVU actually deserves the ranking or not"
Ahem. Let's go over this again - it's not a "ranking" in any quantative measurable way - that's why it's not part of the standard Princeton Review materials. It is an "off the cuff" set of student answered questions - nothing more - that are no more "scientific" than, say, Prom Queen/King. In other words, it's a bit of a goof, and not taken seriously by anyone not fretting on internet chat boards. Note the other schools - Florida, Georgia, Miami, Syracuse, etc... harmed by this? FWIW, note the "stone cold" list - outside of the service academies (suuure...) those schools don't exactly stand out...
Also - urban schools "hide" w/in the overall community - count "Miami" in with "Miami" and WVU doesn't stand a chance - trust me on that one.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:54 AM

You all are missing the point. Being labeled as top party school nationally (reguardless of its source) is not a positive thing. It may be unfare, but WVU still needs to set itself apart from partying. Sure its cool that students come here for it, and it helps the local economy but so does many other unneeded sins. Gambling is a good example. It might not hurt the academics, the sports, or even the community, but that doesn't mean that its a good thing.

Example: Las vegas is known for gambling. Although some see it as being fun, exciting, and a good money make; most would agree that gambling is a negative thing that leads to other social and financial problems. Some might see this party "rating" as a good thing for Morgantown, but most would agree that partying is negative that leads to other problems like drunk driving, fights, injury, property damage, under-age drinking, and much more.

Guys, I'm not saying the students shouldn't have fun, but give me a break! Everybody could agree that academics is the main reason a person is in college. So lets put the partying on hold.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Our party ranking didn't stop us from getting into the big 12 which is much better than the ACC.

These rankings don't matter.
Academics the acc is the best, so it did hurt WVU in that case. Conference is more than just sports you know.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:55 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Being labeled as top party school nationally (reguardless of its source) is not a positive thing.
That depends on what you see as the mission of a university, apparently. From reading this thread, apparently the point is to bleed as much money as possible from young people while providing them with a place to hang out and party their late teens and early twenties away.

We can quibble about how the rankings were derived and whether or not WVU is really #1 or #10 or whatever, but the easily observable reality (at least to anyone with functioning eyes and ears) is that WVU has developed this reputation for a reason, as is obvious to anyone who has spent time on college campuses that don't have that sort of reputation. Yes, students party everywhere. But you know what? I don't have random drunk people peeing on my door every night since I left Morgantown. I don't have to try to avoid a sea of broken beer bottles when biking around town anymore. My neighbors don't keep me up with loud parties. The liquor stores aren't packed with people buying plastic jugs of vodka. The local fire department doesn't have to go around dousing couches. Cars aren't being burned in the streets.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:19 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,872,275 times
Mil
Quote:
Academics the acc is the best, so it did hurt WVU in that case. Conference is more than just sports you know.
The ivy league is the best.

It is irrelevent. Joining the ACC wouldn't change academics. It is about playing similar schools. The conferences don't have any effects on the actual academics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown