Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 11:04 AM

5 posts, read 5,574 times

Advertisements

Hello, my wife and I are considering a move away from Tulsa.. back to the east coast (orig from Northern Va). We have a bright 12 year old girl who has done VERY well in school. However life in OK is not really for us.. it's just OK.. a bit boring and ugly environmentally. We miss the beautiful natural environment of the WV, MD, PA, VA part of the country.
So.. schools, that is our biggest concern.
I see on greatschools(dot)org that Morgantown has some very high scores for middle and high schools.
Do you think this is true from an "in-country" or on-the-ground vantage point? What about surrounding towns?

Here is some background too..
Nature.. love it.. but we miss having 4 seasons.. and an inspiring environment!
We like the idea of a university town for access to arts/entertainment/edumacated people.. and maybe even the possibility of auditing a few classes.
Our daughter is totally into horseback riding, English and western/barrel.
We are heavily into the history/arts/music (I am a seasoned, albeit jaded, musician/engineer).
We are independently minded politically speaking.
Basically looking for a peaceful life/home - with access to a nice place to live with mostly nice people.
BTW how is well water in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 11:53 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,413,095 times
Well Morgantown is the perfect place for you based on your needs. We have a vibrant community with almost any opportunity - especially educationally - at your disposal. While I didn't go to K-12 school here and I can't offer help on specific schools, I can attest that Mon County has one of the best school systems in the state, thanks in large part to proximity to the University and diverse opportunities. The schools are well represented in state and some national academic competitions as well as an outstanding arts community and sports programs. Morgantown is large enough to always be busy, but an escape to nature and general quiet is just a few minutes' drive away.

As for the well water, when I finish my Water Quality Engineering homework, I'll get back to you!

Old 09-14-2012, 01:53 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,852,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
Well Morgantown is the perfect place for you based on your needs. We have a vibrant community with almost any opportunity - especially educationally - at your disposal. While I didn't go to K-12 school here and I can't offer help on specific schools, I can attest that Mon County has one of the best school systems in the state, thanks in large part to proximity to the University and diverse opportunities. The schools are well represented in state and some national academic competitions as well as an outstanding arts community and sports programs. Morgantown is large enough to always be busy, but an escape to nature and general quiet is just a few minutes' drive away.

As for the well water, when I finish my Water Quality Engineering homework, I'll get back to you!
Wrong, it has THE BEST school system in the state. It would be considered a good school system nationally.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:51 PM

6,021 posts, read 9,029,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Wrong, it has THE BEST school system in the state. It would be considered a good school system nationally.
Sorry but that is wrong but is is one of the best

Old 09-15-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Sorry but that is wrong but is is one of the best
No, it is correct.

They are the top performing academic schools in the state, and considered the best by far.

There are other good school systems in WV, but Mon county has the best.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:23 AM

hey thanks for replies! I do appreciate it. I hope to get back to the area to look around soon.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:57 PM

671 posts, read 1,054,788 times
With the fracking going on, you'd better stick to city water.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:18 AM

Yeah, I have a friend here in OK whose land is now essentially worthless since a fracking operation on their property ruined their groundwater.. after generations of good water.

It is a serious concern.

Here in OK we seem to have 3 types of water supply.. well-water, public or city water, and rural water. Rural water is piped up from wells and stored in huge municipal tanks.. but is also stored in open ponds along the way.. such as on my father in law's farm.. not sure how it all comes together.

I am thinking that we would want to stick to public water.. though the difference between city water and rural water, as I describe it here in OK, seems somewhat blurred.

However, I can't help but remember the great well water from my Grandmother's old farm in Beattyville, KY.; not to mention playing for hours in the creek as a kid.

Sorry.. I'm rambling.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:01 AM

Morgantown forbids fracking within city limits.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:40 AM

I hope they can!
I found this item though that says that the city's ban was not legal and so it was overturned.

West Virginia's City Of Morgantown Hydraulic Fracturing Ban Overturned - Energy and Natural Resources - United States

Regardless of the debate about the effects on water, it certainly would be a nuisance to have an operating well within a city's boundaries.
Has this second ruling been overturned?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown