Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 05:28 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Another airport? I hope you mean just an updated one because you are stretching if not. And the airport Morgantown has now is sufficient. There is no demand for air travel in the city now, so why would you expand? Airports like Yeager and Tri State are among the fastest growing regional sized airports in the country. They actually need expansion. Morgantown to update what it has inside the terminal and that should be good.
Sorry, I was on my phone. I meant to say it needs major improvements.

There is demand for air travel, the capacity of the airport cant meet the demand. It could easily do so with a little support.

Like I said Morgantown does not need a big airport, but the airport needs improvements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 07:01 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,100,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Sorry, I was on my phone. I meant to say it needs major improvements.

There is demand for air travel, the capacity of the airport cant meet the demand. It could easily do so with a little support.

Like I said Morgantown does not need a big airport, but the airport needs improvements.
50,000 people a year is not a high enough demand to justify expansion. Morgantown's growth is reason though to upgrade the terminal which I'm all game for, but not to expand it.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
50,000 people a year is not a high enough demand to justify expansion. Morgantown's growth is reason though to upgrade the terminal which I'm all game for, but not to expand it.
It is not a lack of demand, but a constraint that limits demand. The demand is based off the capacity of what the airport can do with its current infrastructure. As the infrastructure increases demand goes up. Your argument is stupid, no offense. That is like saying, "well since Charleston can only hold this many people with its current infrastructure than that's the max and no improvements will increase it." In the case of Charleston and southern WV this is not how you think though, you see the need to improve things to bring in people and economic activities, but when it comes to NCWV your attitude is the opposite.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:37 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,100,962 times
Quote:
It is not a lack of demand, but a constraint that limits demand. The demand is based off the capacity of what the airport can do with its current infrastructure. As the infrastructure increases demand goes up. Your argument is stupid, no offense. That is like saying, "well since Charleston can only hold this many people with its current infrastructure than that's the max and no improvements will increase it." In the case of Charleston and southern WV this is not how you think though, you see the need to improve things to bring in people and economic activities, but when it comes to NCWV your attitude is the opposite.
How is your case any different than the case you oppose in corridor H? You are trying to say that if Morgantown had a bigger airport, it would see more coustomers. But at the same time you say that Corridor H would be a waste because there isn't enough demand now? In the airport's case, expansion isn't going to cause the demand to increase. unless it tried competing with Pittsburgh which would be a bad idea.

Seeing how air travel is in demand in southern WV, our construction and expansion is justified. Yeager airport has seen three years of great growth. New air carriers, and terminal expansion and remodeling has been added and has paid off. But we had a demand, and the need was met. Morgantown would just be doing it in hope of an increase in demand. And like be both realize, Pittsburgh's nice airport is too close for any real demand for Morgantown.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
How is your case any different than the case you oppose in corridor H? You are trying to say that if Morgantown had a bigger airport, it would see more coustomers. But at the same time you say that Corridor H would be a waste because there isn't enough demand now? In the airport's case, expansion isn't going to cause the demand to increase. unless it tried competing with Pittsburgh which would be a bad idea.

Seeing how air travel is in demand in southern WV, our construction and expansion is justified. Yeager airport has seen three years of great growth. New air carriers, and terminal expansion and remodeling has been added and has paid off. But we had a demand, and the need was met. Morgantown would just be doing it in hope of an increase in demand. And like be both realize, Pittsburgh's nice airport is too close for any real demand for Morgantown.
Bad analogy Chris/

Because Morgantown is growing, has a good economy, and is the wet shale area.

Corridor H on the other hand is a HUGE highway, several times more expensive than airport improvements, in the middle of nowhere, in a shrinking area, that is economically depressed. It is mostly complete and driving on it is like driving on a ghost road. Meanwhile the flights to Morgantown are pretty much always packed. It is almost at max use given its capacity. Corridor H is hardly used, and it has much more capacity.

Yeager has good infrastructure so it gets demand.

So Chris you didnt mean to but you proved my point. Morgantown is not asking for a 200 mile interstate that goes to the middle of nowhere, and runs through nowhere, where no need for it exist. It just needs a few improvements to an existing airport, that is being fully used. Guess what the state decided to fund? A huge $100 million+ highway rather, and didnt give a penny to the Morgantown airport, while at the same expanding Yeager. Oh yeah they also get the King Coal highway.

I get it Chris, NCWV deserves nothing and Charleston and the South deserve everything. You will gladly defend multiple unneeded infrastructure 1000x the cost of what Morgantown requires or asks for, anywhere in the state outside of NCWV, but will adamantly deny that Morgantown needs small infrastructure improvements. Please Chris by all means explain your logic in justifying this hypocrisy and greed.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:52 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Quote:
The only airport need Morgantown has is to support WVU. people in NCWV will just use Pittsburgh, and the rest of the state has Yeager for air travel. No need putting money in an airport that is 70 miles from a major one.
The rest of the state will not use Yeager for air travel. The Northern Panhandle will use Pittsburgh IAP, which in the case of Weirton is 20 minutes away. The Eastern Panhandle has the choice of Baltimore-Washington (National) or Dulles IAP. The folks in Huntington have their own airport. Morgantown/Clarksburg also has connections in DC to anywhere in the world.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:

You know, to be sure I am not at all certain how that would work out in terms of customers. Pittsburgh Airport is on the West Side of Pittsburgh near I79 and is only an hour from Morgantown. They are an International Airport, and have excellent connections and flights available. I don't think we could compete with them here in most cases. But, I lived in the NYC area for a couple decades and they have the three close in airports (JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark) as well as outlying airports that don't offer nearly as many flights, but still have good national service (Newburgh... Westchester... and Hartford). Now admittedly NYC is much larger than Pittsburgh, but it just could be that our area has a sufficient population base to warrant much more service than currently offered, especially for niche markets, just as do the outlying NYC airports. I have used every one of the airports in the NYC region, and the outlying airports offer a level of convenience not found in the more urban ones. We would draw from several WV counties, a Maryland county, and one and part of another PA county in that case.

Direct flights to select cities other than DC such as NY and Chicago just might go over. I just do not know. Also, flights to tourist destinations (Atlantic City... Orlando... Myrtle Beach) would almost certainly work out.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Bad analogy Chris/

Because Morgantown is growing, has a good economy, and is the wet shale area.

Corridor H on the other hand is a HUGE highway, several times more expensive than airport improvements, in the middle of nowhere, in a shrinking area, that is economically depressed. It is mostly complete and driving on it is like driving on a ghost road. Meanwhile the flights to Morgantown are pretty much always packed. It is almost at max use given its capacity. Corridor H is hardly used, and it has much more capacity.

Yeager has good infrastructure so it gets demand.

So Chris you didnt mean to but you proved my point. Morgantown is not asking for a 200 mile interstate that goes to the middle of nowhere, and runs through nowhere, where no need for it exist. It just needs a few improvements to an existing airport, that is being fully used. Guess what the state decided to fund? A huge $100 million+ highway rather, and didnt give a penny to the Morgantown airport, while at the same expanding Yeager. Oh yeah they also get the King Coal highway.

I get it Chris, NCWV deserves nothing and Charleston and the South deserve everything. You will gladly defend multiple unneeded infrastructure 1000x the cost of what Morgantown requires or asks for, anywhere in the state outside of NCWV, but will adamantly deny that Morgantown needs small infrastructure improvements. Please Chris by all means explain your logic in justifying this hypocrisy and greed.
Havoc, I disagree with much of your post. Corridor H is a bad idea for two reasons. It is being built during a time of major economic stress on the Federal and state budgets, and it is not a result of demonstrated demand, but rather a lame attempt to create demand when the neighboring state even refuses to participate in it's use.

Yeager gets pretty good use simply because there are no large cities south of Sutton for 300 miles, and it is the only airport that people from a very large area have available to use. It would get great use if it were built in Beckley too.

You are correct, however, that our area has been woefully short changed by the state in terms of infrastructure expenditures. We just picked up a delagate in the Legislature this year, and are certain to gain at least one more in 8 years. If they don't come to their senses in Charleston about our problems, hopefully that will help us in the future.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
The terminal is not the problem. P*ssing money down the drain for executive waiting lounges like they did in Charleston is unnecessary too. We need our runway lengthened. We need that because our athletic program will be generating $85 million per year in direct revenue and untold millions more in indirect revenue for our school and our city, planeloads of teams and fans will be coming into our city to spend money, and there is a need for a longer runway to accomodate larger aircraft for specialty flights, tours, and even flights to niche markets in response to demonstrated demand.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Havoc, I disagree with much of your post. Corridor H is a bad idea for two reasons. It is being built during a time of major economic stress on the Federal and state budgets, and it is not a result of demonstrated demand, but rather a lame attempt to create demand when the neighboring state even refuses to participate in it's use.

Yeager gets pretty good use simply because there are no large cities south of Sutton for 300 miles, and it is the only airport that people from a very large area have available to use. It would get great use if it were built in Beckley too.

You are correct, however, that our area has been woefully short changed by the state in terms of infrastructure expenditures. We just picked up a delagate in the Legislature this year, and are certain to gain at least one more in 8 years. If they don't come to their senses in Charleston about our problems, hopefully that will help us in the future.
Actually, CT it seems as if you agree with what I said. We both agree Corridor H is an unnecessary waste of money. I am not even opposed to the state developing infrastructure where it is not needed. I just feel the state should prioritize and build in areas that are growing, have economic potential, and actually need infrastructure improvements first then worry about pork barrel projects like corridor H.

The issue is people like Chris are diehard that Morgantown get NO funding, but when it comes to Charleston or BFE WV they are all for large scale projects. The executive lounge is a great example. Here is some expensive addition that 99.99% of the people of WV wont ever see to Yeager, Chris gets excited. When people in Morgantown say they need a very small amount of money to lengthen the runway because it is too small to meet the needs of Morgantown that is unacceptable.

Southern WV got two huge interstate projects all state funded, meanwhile the state cant even be bothered to make basic repairs to the roads in Morgantown, but that is Morgantown's fault in their eyes. We should levy extra taxes to pay for state roads, something they would never demand anywhere outside of Morgantown.

I think there is a lot of bitterness that the shale boom is passing the southern part of the state, and the growing influence of the North, but that is no excuse to treat Morgantown so poorly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown