Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 08:31 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Airports are often profitable. Airlines expect to be profitable. While federal funding does often help with infrastructure improvements at airports, EAS airports are the only ones that I know of that use taxpayer dollars to subsidize ticket prices. Without the EAS, prices to fly from Hart Field would be much higher and passenger counts would be much lower. Especially when you consider that without the EAS, there likely wouldn't be commercial flights from that airport.
They are profitable with government support, yes. The airlines also receive a lot of government support, and the airplane manufacturers. With the public paying for expenses and the profits going private airports can be very profitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 11:47 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
Quote:
None of the positives you listed matter if people aren't using the airport. Having 10,000-15,000 passengers per year does not suggest heavy use and the need for expansion. Are you suggesting that rather than respond to demonstrated demand (that does not exist) they should go for an if you build it they will come type mentality? Aren't you the one who is always against this type of mentality?

Plus, the state did not pay for the executive lounge in Charleston. The Central West Virginia Regional Airport Authority paid for the building renovations, while Executive Air paid for furniture. Also, runway expansions are normally paid for with federal funding, not state funding. That is standard for most places. Not sure how that's the fault of the state.
People do use that airport every day. It is not primarily for commercial air travel and functions as a commuter airport in that regard, connecting with flights all over the world after a short flight to Washington, DC. The primary need for a longer runway is for corporate jets and government aircraft. We are home to a large pharmaceutical company employing thousands, a large mining operation, other companies with corporate aircraft, and a location where other business aircraft desire to land and take off. Some of them can't do so because of the length of the runway. We also have a national university with an athletic budget of $65 million and growing that needs to make regular use of it, and conduct more than $150 million dollars in funded research per year, and provide a home for the National Energy Research facilities which also require access to air facilities. Demonstrated demand does exist and it constantly growing, it just isn't so much in the area of "passengers". It is commercial related.

If it were just for United flights, I'd agree with you but there is far more involved than that.

I did some checking, and you are correct about typical sources of runway funding. Thanks for pointing that out.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:35 AM

4,954 posts, read 8,950,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I did some checking, and you are correct about typical sources of runway funding. Thanks for pointing that out.
No problem. I think you all are a little to quick to blame the state on a frequent basis, even when the state is not at fault. This then creates more anger and animosity on your side where none should exist. This then leads to more division and a mindset like havoc's, which is counterproductive to say the least.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:53 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
You have a point, but we do have a lot of resentment about how state monies are being appropriated around here and a lot of that is based on valid issues. I remember growing up in Wheeling when the mills were in full swing there and the state was grabbing 3 times the money from that area that they returned.
There has always been a wide disparity in fund distribution. I realize that in general the southern part of the state is more poverty stricken, and perhaps needs more, but the difference is so striking it is impossible to ignore and there is a view that it has engendered a culture of dependency and expectatioin there.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
No problem. I think you all are a little to quick to blame the state on a frequent basis, even when the state is not at fault. This then creates more anger and animosity on your side where none should exist. This then leads to more division and a mindset like havoc's, which is counterproductive to say the least.
The North did not create the divisions. The south did. Now that they are in decline and we are the future, they should be working on undoing the damage they have caused. Your future depends on it.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:52 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,149,512 times
If the airport expansion is so important to the growing businesses of Morgantown, then why don't those businesses and the city of Morgantown put up the money for the expansion? If the expansion is going to bring more business to the area then investing in a better airport should pay for itself. Right?

I'm having a hard time understanding why the northern part of the state feels resentment toward the rest of the state when the whole state is hurting financially. Over the last 30 plus years, the northern part of the state has received funding for projects along with other areas of the state. Please provide specific examples to justify these feelings of resentment.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
If the airport expansion is so important to the growing businesses of Morgantown, then why don't those businesses and the city of Morgantown put up the money for the expansion? If the expansion is going to bring more business to the area then investing in a better airport should pay for itself. Right?

I'm having a hard time understanding why the northern part of the state feels resentment toward the rest of the state when the whole state is hurting financially. Over the last 30 plus years, the northern part of the state has received funding for projects along with other areas of the state. Please provide specific examples to justify these feelings of resentment.
Because that is not how airports work. But it does show the bias the southern part of the state has. They expect the state funding they are entitled to, and more. Meanwhile Morgantown has to pay for everything itself. In Charleston or Huntington people would riot of the politicos said, "you are no longer getting state funding despite paying taxes, but you can for things yourself."

The whole state is NOT hurting financially. Have you not been to Morgantown and EP recently. We are thriving. We have been thriving. Despite our growth and being the most important part of the state we have NOT received funding. That is reserved for the South.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:37 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,072,532 times
Actually, Charleston still has a bigger economy than Morgantown So I would say that the funding received there is deserved. I don't know where you get your figures but you are wrong.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Actually, Charleston still has a bigger economy than Morgantown So I would say that the funding received there is deserved. I don't know where you get your figures but you are wrong.
Charleston's economy is mooching off Morgantown and the rest of the state. Besides earning money for doing nothing there is no economy there...

Old 11-03-2012, 05:22 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,149,512 times
Wow. If you truly believe that you are delusional.

I agree with you that Morgantown has a very good economy right now but in no way is it driving the economy of Charleston.

Making a statement like that only makes you appear to be a message board troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown