Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-09-2013, 01:17 AM
 
10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Reputation: 1782

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
That was a pretty big deal with almost two dozen hurt and one person dead. Being upset because your brother in law graduated from a much better school than WVU and teases you about while putting it you your sister on a frequent basis doesn't mean those people that were hurt or killed somehow deserved it. WVU should strive to be like UVA rather than hoping they're considered as good as UL one day. I say this as a WVU grad who has no academic affiliation with UVA other than being familiar enough with it to know that it's among the top 3 public schools every year.

You're a pretty bitter person CT.
UVA is NOT a better school than WVU. It is a delusional collection of airheads who are largely disconnected from reality. I happen to have one of them for a next door neighbor in Morgantown. I also have a former long time girlfriend who went there. It is mostly hype. There is no bitterness involved... I simply would not choose to go there. I can understand why you would though.

I do not have a sister, I have a wife. I really have no idea what bitterness causes you to say negative things about our wonderful school, but I am certainly not the one with an issue here. You do not know me, my wife, or my brother in law, and I simply can not understand why you would say things like that.

I can only say this... there is no way WVU would have been run in such a stupid manner as to have an accident like that one happen during a graduation ceremony. You say it was a "pretty big deal"? I say it was an exercise in stupidity.

 
Old 03-10-2013, 05:27 PM
 
671 posts, read 1,057,716 times
Reputation: 335
UVA produces far more research than WVU, and far far more research of high impact. It's tough and foolish to make the argument that WVU is better than UVA. You can like a place and simultaneously realize that it's not the best...
 
Old 03-10-2013, 05:30 PM
 
6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Reputation: 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
UVA produces far more research than WVU, and far far more research of high impact. It's tough and foolish to make the argument that WVU is better than UVA. You can like a place and simultaneously realize that it's not the best...
UVA is just better funded.

That is the real difference.
 
Old 03-11-2013, 04:50 AM
 
671 posts, read 1,057,716 times
Reputation: 335
I have no doubt about that. I just want to make it clear that, by any metric that incorporates research output, UVA ranks unquestionably higher than WVU. I can't say where their engineering school ranks, but biomedical research is certainly very very strongly in UVA's favor. If you were to count undergrad education quality only, I suspect that the top 200 schools are mostly even, but research often does matter. I like WVU, but reality is that WVU is not the best in anything, let alone everything.
 
Old 03-11-2013, 05:56 AM
 
6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Reputation: 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
I have no doubt about that. I just want to make it clear that, by any metric that incorporates research output, UVA ranks unquestionably higher than WVU. I can't say where their engineering school ranks, but biomedical research is certainly very very strongly in UVA's favor. If you were to count undergrad education quality only, I suspect that the top 200 schools are mostly even, but research often does matter. I like WVU, but reality is that WVU is not the best in anything, let alone everything.
Nor is UVA.

Like I said the only difference is VA funds UVA while WV doesn't fund WVU.
 
Old 03-11-2013, 07:20 PM
 
939 posts, read 1,893,419 times
Reputation: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Nor is UVA.

Like I said the only difference is VA funds UVA while WV doesn't fund WVU.
Again havoc shows his ignorance. UVA, VT and William & Mary get far less funding than other state schools as part of an agreement brokered in 2004 to become semi-private. As part of the agreement, these schools will agree to reduced portions of their budget to come from state funding. In return, they will not be as beholden to the state in terms of academic or admission standard priorities.

Cry Cry Cry, you're about the most delusional poster on this board, and that's saying something. Everything comes down to Charleston having it out for WVU, when in fact basically everyone important in that entire city, from legislators, doctors, lawyers and business owners are all WVU grads.

You must think they're sitting on piles of loot down there and just holding onto it so they can swim in like scrooge mcduck. Have you seen the rest of the state? Where do you think all of this missing funding goes? The entire state is a dump because the state HAS NO MONEY. WVU should feel blessed they get as much as they do. WVU should instead concentrate on raising its endowment, which is how UVA gets things done, because right now WVU's endowment is pathetically low when compared to other state flagships, and is frequently outdone by much smaller, less prestigious schools.
 
Old 03-11-2013, 07:39 PM
 
Location: Arlington, VA
2,021 posts, read 4,616,892 times
Reputation: 1673
Gustavo is correct in regards to UVA, VT and William and Mary funding. They do in fact get far less than schools like Virginia Commonwealth and George Mason based on prior year agreements with the state.

I am very proud of my alma matter and do indeed work hard to discredit the numerous jokes and inaccurate perceptions of many people here regarding WVU's infamous party rankings...but I must admit that it is indeed a tough sell (at least from my experience here in the DC area) that a WVU degree is better than or even on par with one from UVA.
 
Old 03-11-2013, 07:49 PM
 
Location: WV/Va/Ky/Tn
708 posts, read 1,157,562 times
Reputation: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Again havoc shows his ignorance. UVA, VT and William & Mary get far less funding than other state schools as part of an agreement brokered in 2004 to become semi-private. As part of the agreement, these schools will agree to reduced portions of their budget to come from state funding. In return, they will not be as beholden to the state in terms of academic or admission standard priorities.

Cry Cry Cry, you're about the most delusional poster on this board, and that's saying something. Everything comes down to Charleston having it out for WVU, when in fact basically everyone important in that entire city, from legislators, doctors, lawyers and business owners are all WVU grads.

You must think they're sitting on piles of loot down there and just holding onto it so they can swim in like scrooge mcduck. Have you seen the rest of the state? Where do you think all of this missing funding goes? The entire state is a dump because the state HAS NO MONEY. WVU should feel blessed they get as much as they do. WVU should instead concentrate on raising its endowment, which is how UVA gets things done, because right now WVU's endowment is pathetically low when compared to other state flagships, and is frequently outdone by much smaller, less prestigious schools.
A Scrooge McDuck reference!!!!! YES!!!
 
Old 03-11-2013, 08:11 PM
 
6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Reputation: 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Again havoc shows his ignorance. UVA, VT and William & Mary get far less funding than other state schools as part of an agreement brokered in 2004 to become semi-private. As part of the agreement, these schools will agree to reduced portions of their budget to come from state funding. In return, they will not be as beholden to the state in terms of academic or admission standard priorities.

Cry Cry Cry, you're about the most delusional poster on this board, and that's saying something. Everything comes down to Charleston having it out for WVU, when in fact basically everyone important in that entire city, from legislators, doctors, lawyers and business owners are all WVU grads.

You must think they're sitting on piles of loot down there and just holding onto it so they can swim in like scrooge mcduck. Have you seen the rest of the state? Where do you think all of this missing funding goes? The entire state is a dump because the state HAS NO MONEY. WVU should feel blessed they get as much as they do. WVU should instead concentrate on raising its endowment, which is how UVA gets things done, because right now WVU's endowment is pathetically low when compared to other state flagships, and is frequently outdone by much smaller, less prestigious schools.
The fact remains that UVA gets more funding than WVU.

Perhaps there funding was reduced. It is irrelevant to the fact that it gets more funds than WVU from Charleston.

Gustavo, Gustavo, Gustavo, ou're about the most delusional poster on this board, and that's saying something. Actually you are not, but you are still delusional and ignorant of the situation in WV.

WVU would love an endowment but at not point was it ever funded enough.
 
Old 03-11-2013, 09:27 PM
 
Location: WV/Va/Ky/Tn
708 posts, read 1,157,562 times
Reputation: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
The fact remains that UVA gets more funding than WVU.

Perhaps there funding was reduced. It is irrelevant to the fact that it gets more funds than WVU from Charleston.

Gustavo, Gustavo, Gustavo, ou're about the most delusional poster on this board, and that's saying something. Actually you are not, but you are still delusional and ignorant of the situation in WV.

WVU would love an endowment but at not point was it ever funded enough.
Do you think I can make a run at Most Delusional Poster Havoc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top