Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 09:35 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,885,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
Do you think I can make a run at Most Delusional Poster Havoc?
No, you are only average.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:58 AM

939 posts, read 1,894,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Gustavo is correct in regards to UVA, VT and William and Mary funding. They do in fact get far less than schools like Virginia Commonwealth and George Mason based on prior year agreements with the state.

I am very proud of my alma matter and do indeed work hard to discredit the numerous jokes and inaccurate perceptions of many people here regarding WVU's infamous party rankings...but I must admit that it is indeed a tough sell (at least from my experience here in the DC area) that a WVU degree is better than or even on par with one from UVA.
I, too, love WVU, Morgantown and WV. Like you, I also recognize its many problems and disadvantages when compared to other places. One of the main problems in West Virginia is that the barometer is set so low. For many, Morgantown is the Taj Mahal in WV, while for others, Charleston or Huntington is. When Charleston or Morgantown is your measuring stick, you know you have problems.

Now, living in the DC area as I do, I have known multiple very successful WVU grads, but to pretend a WVU degree has any clout compared to VT, PSU, UVA or UMD around here is laughable. When you go on an interview as a UVA grad, they don't ask you about the 180 year old Jefferson-built Balcony collapse at commencement that CT feels is such an embarrassment, they ask you about couch burnings and make snide remarks. It's never prevented me from obtaining a particular job, it just gets tiresome having to explain that not all of WV or everything associated with WVU is trashy and backwoods.

To hear the arguments from Cry, where he spouts about road funding and "the man" in Charleston keeping WVU down, just drive me nuts. He comes on here and throws out numbers and figures that he has either just assumed or plain made up. To know that a person like him managed to escape WVU with a degree in anything beyond Multidisciplinary Studies would be an offense to other graduates. In his most recent claim, he says that UVA still obtains a more significant portion of their funding from the state, where as WVU gets peanuts. Unfortunately for him, facts don't line up with his (frequently ridiculous) arguments. In this case, here is an article from Summer 2011 about UVA receiving 10.3 of their annual academic operating budget of 1.3 billion from Virginia ( http://uvamagazine.org/features/arti...he_university/ ).

Now, because I couldn't find an exact percentage number, I went ahead and tried to approximate it using these two links for wvu:
WVU Board approves close to a billion dollar budget, amends policy to allow campus to go tobacco free in July 2013 - showing a 917 Million dollar budget for FY2013
TransparencyWV.org (look at FY2013), showing about 177 Million in total expenditures allocated to WVU @ Morgantown .

Run the numbers, and that's about 19.3% of WVU's budget coming directly from the state. Now this doesn't explain how it's sliced up. For example, some may be allocated to the Athletic Department, but that would not jive with the claim that WVU's athletic department is one of the few self-sustaining in the nation.

Let's go over some of the other numbers of the FY2013 budget to see how screwed WVU really is by those evil rich men in Charleston. I will list out every agency receiving more per year than WVU:

Agency Total
HUMAN SERVICES DIVISION OF $3,881,147,399.00 - I'm assuming this is the state's HR, so these are the salaries of every state employee (does that include WVU coaches & administration, because they are the highest paid state employees in the state)
EDUCATION DEPARTMENT OF $2,540,368,847.00 - Over 800 schools and 300K students working out to an average of 8.4K per fully funded K-12 student, compared to 6.3K partially funded WVU student
HIGHWAYS DIVISION OF $1,168,328,443.00 - You enjoy those interstates so that the trip from Charleston to Motown no longer takes 7 hours?
INSURANCE COMMISSION $647,485,801.00 - Beats me, I'm sure its related to the highest number of insurance fraud cases in America coming out of WV
HEALTH DIVISION OF $509,221,011.00 - oldest population state in america
ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION $278,310,647.00 - Coal mining state, enough said
CORRECTIONS DIVISION OF $182,281,259.00 - this is sad but is probably consistent with other state's spending on incarceration
WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY $177,002,716.00
MARSHALL UNIVERSITY $72,900,914.00 - 14k students @ 5.2K a student (vs WVU at 6.2K a student)

In addition, I don't think Cry actually understands what an endowment is, when he makes this statement: "WVU would love an endowment but at not point was it ever funded enough". The endowment is not funded by those folks in Charleston, unless you're talking private gifts and alumni contributions. An endowment is achieved by grants,fund raising and small donations. Once that money is obtained, think of it as a reserve. If invested wisely, it can be grown and become a huge benefit for the school. If the school is smart enough, they eventually don't even need state funding (see UVA, VT and W&M), and can start making their own rules for admissions and standards. For comparison sake, WVU's currently listed endowment is 597 vs UVa's at 5.24 Billion.

So in the end, UVA has 10 times the endowment, less state funding, a larger academic budget and roughly half the number of students. I don't even want to talk about SAT scores

So there you are Cry. After months (years?) of your unsubstantiated claims, here are some basic facts for you. I hate you for it, but you made me do the numbers and lay it out on paper why a school I absolutely hate is so much better than my Alma mater.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:05 AM

BTW Novamtneer, you ever make it over to the annual Crab Fest in Alexandria? It's a good time, and usually has around 1000 in attendance.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
I, too, love WVU, Morgantown and WV. Like you, I also recognize its many problems and disadvantages when compared to other places. One of the main problems in West Virginia is that the barometer is set so low. For many, Morgantown is the Taj Mahal in WV, while for others, Charleston or Huntington is. When Charleston or Morgantown is your measuring stick, you know you have problems.

Now, living in the DC area as I do, I have known multiple very successful WVU grads, but to pretend a WVU degree has any clout compared to VT, PSU, UVA or UMD around here is laughable. When you go on an interview as a UVA grad, they don't ask you about the 180 year old Jefferson-built Balcony collapse at commencement that CT feels is such an embarrassment, they ask you about couch burnings and make snide remarks. It's never prevented me from obtaining a particular job, it just gets tiresome having to explain that not all of WV or everything associated with WVU is trashy and backwoods.

To hear the arguments from Cry, where he spouts about road funding and "the man" in Charleston keeping WVU down, just drive me nuts. He comes on here and throws out numbers and figures that he has either just assumed or plain made up. To know that a person like him managed to escape WVU with a degree in anything beyond Multidisciplinary Studies would be an offense to other graduates. In his most recent claim, he says that UVA still obtains a more significant portion of their funding from the state, where as WVU gets peanuts. Unfortunately for him, facts don't line up with his (frequently ridiculous) arguments. In this case, here is an article from Summer 2011 about UVA receiving 10.3 of their annual academic operating budget of 1.3 billion from Virginia ( http://uvamagazine.org/features/arti...he_university/ ).

Now, because I couldn't find an exact percentage number, I went ahead and tried to approximate it using these two links for wvu:
WVU Board approves close to a billion dollar budget, amends policy to allow campus to go tobacco free in July 2013 - showing a 917 Million dollar budget for FY2013
TransparencyWV.org (look at FY2013), showing about 177 Million in total expenditures allocated to WVU @ Morgantown .

Run the numbers, and that's about 19.3% of WVU's budget coming directly from the state. Now this doesn't explain how it's sliced up. For example, some may be allocated to the Athletic Department, but that would not jive with the claim that WVU's athletic department is one of the few self-sustaining in the nation.

Let's go over some of the other numbers of the FY2013 budget to see how screwed WVU really is by those evil rich men in Charleston. I will list out every agency receiving more per year than WVU:

Agency Total
HUMAN SERVICES DIVISION OF $3,881,147,399.00 - I'm assuming this is the state's HR, so these are the salaries of every state employee (does that include WVU coaches & administration, because they are the highest paid state employees in the state)
EDUCATION DEPARTMENT OF $2,540,368,847.00 - Over 800 schools and 300K students working out to an average of 8.4K per fully funded K-12 student, compared to 6.3K partially funded WVU student
HIGHWAYS DIVISION OF $1,168,328,443.00 - You enjoy those interstates so that the trip from Charleston to Motown no longer takes 7 hours?
INSURANCE COMMISSION $647,485,801.00 - Beats me, I'm sure its related to the highest number of insurance fraud cases in America coming out of WV
HEALTH DIVISION OF $509,221,011.00 - oldest population state in america
ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION $278,310,647.00 - Coal mining state, enough said
CORRECTIONS DIVISION OF $182,281,259.00 - this is sad but is probably consistent with other state's spending on incarceration
WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY $177,002,716.00
MARSHALL UNIVERSITY $72,900,914.00 - 14k students @ 5.2K a student (vs WVU at 6.2K a student)

In addition, I don't think Cry actually understands what an endowment is, when he makes this statement: "WVU would love an endowment but at not point was it ever funded enough". The endowment is not funded by those folks in Charleston, unless you're talking private gifts and alumni contributions. An endowment is achieved by grants,fund raising and small donations. Once that money is obtained, think of it as a reserve. If invested wisely, it can be grown and become a huge benefit for the school. If the school is smart enough, they eventually don't even need state funding (see UVA, VT and W&M), and can start making their own rules for admissions and standards. For comparison sake, WVU's currently listed endowment is 597 vs UVa's at 5.24 Billion.

So in the end, UVA has 10 times the endowment, less state funding, a larger academic budget and roughly half the number of students. I don't even want to talk about SAT scores

So there you are Cry. After months (years?) of your unsubstantiated claims, here are some basic facts for you. I hate you for it, but you made me do the numbers and lay it out on paper why a school I absolutely hate is so much better than my Alma mater.
You can resort to all the straeman you want. The fact is VA supports UVA while Charleston does not support WVU or morgantown. Your numbers prove my point.

I can't speak for all WVU grads but this one has beat UVA, VT, and UMD for my current job and the job I was working last year. I have recruiters also trying to lure me away from my current job, but I'm not leaving since I like my current job. Education is what you put into it. A WVU education is just as good as UVA in many areas you just need to apply yourself.

What is not up for debate is the criminal neglect had for WVU. It is the only good education WVians can get and Charleston is anti-education.

I also dont think you understand basic arithmetic. WVU doesn't have an endowment because although it is a flagship public school it was not funded enough by Charleston. All contributions had to go to operations whereas UVA was funded enough to put money in their endowment along with donations specified. WVU can only put money in its endowment when it is restricted by the donor for this purpose. Other schools are funded enough WVU is not. Also keep in mind that WVU is affordable and its goal is to educate everyone of WV regardless of wealth. UVA is a more elite rich kid school that leaves most students in deep debt.

The real difference, between WVU not being funded by Charleston, is WVU is truly a public school for everyone and is looked down upon by snobs.

P.S. Huntington is not the taj mahal to anyone in WV except Tim. Even among residents it is seen as a dump.

Last edited by cry_havoc; 03-12-2013 at 07:54 AM..

Old 03-12-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
You can resort to all the straeman you want. The fact is VA supports UVA while Charleston does not support WVU or morgantown. Your numbers prove my point. ...
...What is not up for debate is the criminal neglect had for WVU. It is the only good education WVians can get and Charleston is anti-education.
I think I just clearly outlined using cited sources that this is NOT the case. Did you even read the numbers, or were you too busy typing this frantic reply on your iphone as you sped down i-270 this morning in the rain?

Since you apparently can't read something that long, here's the short of it: WVU- 19% funding from WV; UVA - 10% funding from Virginia

Old 03-12-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
I think I just clearly outlined using cited sources that this is NOT the case. Did you even read the numbers, or were you too busy typing this frantic reply on your iphone as you sped down i-270 this morning in the rain?

Since you apparently can't read something that long, here's the short of it: WVU- 19% funding from WV; UVA - 10% funding from Virginia

Again you fail at math. VA is a much weal their state and UVA has a much larger operating budget. Percentages are rather useless. Let us look at actual dollars given. You will see that WVU is getting the short end of the stick.

I sincerely hope you aren't a WVU grad because if you are people will think you failed remedial math.

P.S. I take the metro. No way in hell I'm taking 270 during this time.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:06 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,156,891 times
Well put Gustavo and nice research to show the facts.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Well put Gustavo and nice research to show the facts.

Yes he did a good job proving my point, although it was not his intention.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:20 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,156,891 times
If that's what you want to believe so that you can sleep better tonight....then so be it.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
If that's what you want to believe so that you can sleep better tonight....then so be it.
What I believe, or what you believe, is irrelevant to what actually happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown