Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 08:37 AM

939 posts, read 1,893,419 times

Advertisements

10% of 1.3 Billion is 130 Million. 19% of 917 Million is 174 Million. Even by raw numbers, the state of WV gives more to WVU than the state of Virginia.

However, even if the raw numbers did not work out in WVU's favor (they do), only a moron would perform statistical analysis using raw numbers rather than per captia or percentages, because it's not an apples to apples comparison. I simply refuse to believe you're this ignorant, you must be a troll from Pittsburgh trying to make WVU look bad via example. Does that fit in with your world view?

Old 03-12-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
What I believe, or what you believe, is irrelevant to what actually happened.
The quote of the day showing that you do not live in reality.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:00 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,151,624 times
+1

Old 03-12-2013, 09:04 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
10% of 1.3 Billion is 130 Million. 19% of 917 Million is 174 Million. Even by raw numbers, the state of WV gives more to WVU than the state of Virginia.

However, even if the raw numbers did not work out in WVU's favor (they do), only a moron would perform statistical analysis using raw numbers rather than per captia or percentages, because it's not an apples to apples comparison. I simply refuse to believe you're this ignorant, you must be a troll from Pittsburgh trying to make WVU look bad via example. Does that fit in with your world view?
Again you fail at math.

That so called funding goes to bureaucrats in Charleston and not the university itself.

Also you are ignoring historic data. VA has historically funded UVA so now it is loaded in money. WVU was never funded so has no money. 3 years of less funding doesn't change this. At this rate things might be different in 100 years but if you look at total funding for both school through their histories you would see a HUGE difference in UVA's favor.

You are the troll making WVU grads look bad. You throw out irrelevant numbers and ignore the big picture. For instance if I make a thousand dollars a year for 100 years and you make 1 dollar a year for 100 years I would have much more. No assume after 100 years I make 90 cents for 3 years and you still make a dollar I would have approx 100002.7 and you would have
10003. I would have almost 10 times as much as you but your logic dictates that you are better funded. To make things worse a big chunk of your money goes to Charleston bureaucrats who claim to be acting in WVU's interest.

Historically VA has paid 30% of its budget. It received more money than WVU and had less students meaning more student. You also fail to realize wvu has 10k more students so funding per student is still higher at UVA.

Math fail.

Last edited by cry_havoc; 03-12-2013 at 09:13 AM..

Old 03-12-2013, 09:04 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,050,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
UVA produces far more research than WVU, and far far more research of high impact. It's tough and foolish to make the argument that WVU is better than UVA. You can like a place and simultaneously realize that it's not the best...
Research and academics have little to do with each other. West Virginia University is a better teaching institution while UVA has more bubble headed space cadets running around trying to discover the intrinsic qualities of dog poop and pretending that somebody actually cares about a LaCrosse match. That said, WVU is making serious attempts to increase its profile in research areas and those attempts are bringing about considerable results in the valuable areas of energy in cooperation with Ohio State and Carnegie Mellon, Alzheimers disease in cooperation with Johns Hopkins, and numerous other endeavors.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:05 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Quote:
The quote of the day showing that you do not live in reality.
If believing in facts and reality over incorrect opinion makes me delusional than I guilty as charged.

Last edited by cry_havoc; 03-12-2013 at 09:13 AM..

Old 03-12-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Research and academics have little to do with each other. West Virginia University is a better teaching institution while UVA has more bubble headed space cadets running around trying to discover the intrinsic qualities of dog poop and pretending that somebody actually cares about a LaCrosse match. That said, WVU is making serious attempts to increase its profile in research areas and those attempts are bringing about considerable results in the valuable areas of energy in cooperation with Ohio State and Carnegie Mellon, Alzheimers disease in cooperation with Johns Hopkins, and numerous other endeavors.
So CT, once WVU ups their research expenditures, will they be full of "bubble headed space cadets" too? The hostility to education from the right is so hilarious. The chair of my department at WVU received his PhD from UVA, does that mean he was worthless?

Since Ohio State is good enough for WVU to partner with, what does that mean when OSU is 16 spots lower than UVA in the rankings? Somehow Ohio State's (an excellent school) research is worth it, but 16 spots higher, they're just researching dog poop? The only thing that's dog poop in this thread is your continued arguments.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:16 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,050,416 times
Quote:

Please try to stick to the topic at hand. Money spent at UVA has absolutely nothing to do with developments around the loop at the WVU Campus. When you hijack a thread like this, it does not serve anybody well. We really don't care what they are doing at UVA here. I'm sure Virginia has their own board.

The loop and Falling Run areas are being redeveloped as a result of continuing efforts to energize the Downtown Campus at West Virginia University. Charlottesville is, thankfully, a long hike from the loop.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Again you fail at math.

That so called funding goes to bureaucrats in Charleston and not the university itself.

Also you are ignoring historic data. VA has historically funded UVA so now it is loaded in money. WVU was never funded so has no money. 3 years of less funding doesn't change this. At this rate things might be different in 100 years but if you look at total funding for both school through their histories you would see a HUGE difference in UVA's favor.

You are the troll making WVU grads look bad. You throw out irrelevant numbers and ignore the big picture. For instance if I make a thousand dollars a year for 100 years and you make 1 dollar a year for 100 years I would have much more. No assume after 100 years I make 90 cents for 3 years and you still make a dollar I would have approx 100002.7 and you would have
10003. I would have almost 10 times as much as you but your logic dictates that you are better funded. To make things worse a big chunk of your money goes to Charleston bureaucrats who claim to be acting in WVU's interest.

Historically VA has paid 30% of its budget. It received more money than WVU and had less students meaning more student. You also fail to realize wvu has 10k more students so funding per student is still higher at UVA.

Math fail.
130Million > 174 Million ? And I'm the math failure?
10% > 19% ? And I'm the math failure?

The number of students do not matter. WVU's budget has exploded in recent years as they've gone for quantity over quality, and I wouldn't be surprised if the state of WV used to give WVU a greater percentage of their budget.

AND... I would be willing to bet that state funding for UVA has never exceeded 16% of their total budget. If someone can find those numbers, please share. I say this, because I know the initiative in 2004 was not to REDUCE state funding to UVA, but to leave it at a static level (aka 10-11%), as long as UVA never asks for more.

Damn man, you act like someone coming down of roids with all of your irrational arguments.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Please try to stick to the topic at hand. Money spent at UVA has absolutely nothing to do with developments around the loop at the WVU Campus. When you hijack a thread like this, it does not serve anybody well. We really don't care what they are doing at UVA here. I'm sure Virginia has their own board.

The loop and Falling Run areas are being redeveloped as a result of continuing efforts to energize the Downtown Campus at West Virginia University. Charlottesville is, thankfully, a long hike from the loop.
I made a little joke about some greenspace pages back, and you bring up bubble headed space cadets and Cry brings up funding issues. I'm here to refute and prove you two wrong .. again and again and again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown