Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 08:09 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,289 times

Advertisements

No true word from the governor yet, but Sen. Bob Beach has reported that the governor will be calling a special session to work out a deal between the TIF bill and magistrate pay. He should do so by this afternoon. For more info, look up Bob Beach's twitter account. Although, I must add, if magistrate pay raises are definitively tied to this bill, then don't pass it. It's not ethical to hold legislation hostage to totally unrelated bureaucracy and making a deal would simply be condoning such behavior in the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 10:13 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
It only serves to show the very worst side of West Virginia politics. If you have something worthwhile, the politicos find a way to make sure that you have to attach something worthless or something that puts money in politicians pockets to it or it has no chance of passing. We have been saddled with stupidity in our state's political system for a century and a half, and unfortunately it shows no signs of getting better.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:51 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
A deal has been reached.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:51 AM

354 posts, read 505,695 times
Great, looks like Sam's Club field at Walmart stadium is going to happen. What a shame to move the field off campus into that mess of an area. Now we can watch developers go wild, the same developers who turned Morgantown into a logistical nightmare in the first place. Stupid

Old 04-17-2013, 11:29 AM

The developers didn't do anything that wasn't positive. The state's inaction has created the logistical problems. The stadium will be in an ideal location, served by public transit which, if you remember, is absolutely free to students on campus as well as those living in the sizable student residential complex on the other end of the development. It is also totally free in Morgantown for senior citizens. In addition, ample free parking makes the location all the more attractive, and the great view from that area adds to the value.

There will be three badly needed hotels constructed there as well as additional eating options and shopping opportunities. In this location, just 5 miles from the PA line and on an Interstate highway, it will serve as a springboard for many other new and exciting developments. This location, also helps minimize negative impact on existing inadequate infrastructure in the downtown area.

The fact that a Walmarts is located nearby has little to do with anything. Would it be better to have it downtown where it would add to traffic problems. At least it isn't near some wornout warehouses, like that found in some locations. It will also be a nice venue for outdoor performances, concerts and the like. It is hard to imagine why anybody would logically oppose it.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:05 PM

If this is a case where a viable expansion of business is gauranteed and what is being asked for is access from the interstate to be provided from the state and it will be paid for with local taxes collected here, I don't have a problem with that.

As I noted early on I seem to recall an off ramp being built basically to pay off campaign debts which would make it understandable for people to question this.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If this is a case where a viable expansion of business is gauranteed and what is being asked for is access from the interstate to be provided from the state and it will be paid for with local taxes collected here, I don't have a problem with that.

As I noted early on I seem to recall an off ramp being built basically to pay off campaign debts which would make it understandable for people to question this.
Is it really surprising to you that in our state they sometimes build things to pay of campaign debts?

The reports I am hearing now is that this matter passed in both the House and the Senate, almost unanimously. Now on to the next project... a Coonskin Bridge project in Charleston, where the traffic load demand is maybe half what it is in downtown Morgantown, but they will politically appease folks in Charleston even though their need is not as great. I would be very surprised if Morgantown politicos oppose the development in Charleston. They are generally supportive of developments in other areas.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 04-17-2013 at 06:47 PM..

Old 04-17-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Is it really surprising to you that in our state they sometimes build things to pay of campaign debts?
No, which is why that was my first question here.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:40 PM

354 posts, read 505,695 times
I could be accepting of the new stadium if other options/locations were studied and the stadium itself is major league exceptional. Even the new I79 entrances would be needed to relieve congestion. But I see no way it's cost effective to blow away the west side of the interstate for a freakin subdivision. We'll see the developers' real intensions if they level the place without commitments from many major companies to move into the "business park." All you have to do is take a drive along Martin Hollow Road to see the amount of work and money it will take. Hopefully this isn't taken as a blank check.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:42 PM

671 posts, read 1,057,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
I could be accepting of the new stadium if other options/locations were studied and the stadium itself is major league exceptional. Even the new I79 entrances would be needed to relieve congestion. But I see no way it's cost effective to blow away the west side of the interstate for a freakin subdivision. We'll see the developers' real intensions if they level the place without commitments from many major companies to move into the "business park." All you have to do is take a drive along Martin Hollow Road to see the amount of work and money it will take. Hopefully this isn't taken as a blank check.
Explain if you can - I'm curious in that I've never been out that way. What is the terrain like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown