Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 09:21 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,419,745 times

Advertisements

Well, I emailed one of the council members last night and got a reply this morning. He's of the same opinion about the situation as we are - we are not diametrically opposed to Sheetz itself but the position in the downtown core. He described it as being "unattractive and garish." Unfortunately, it falls within the permitted uses of the zoning district, so there isn't much the council can do. Moreover, they cannot dictate the style of buildings either, only that they are safe and clean per the building codes. This is due to the state legislation on the matter, and as such the state is one of the most restrictive in terms of municipal power. Morgantown will almost certainly be applying for home rule, but will probably face resistance from the local slumlords.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 09:26 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,035,127 times
You can contact them through the city's website, but Sheetz is investing a lot of money in Morgantown and I'd be real surprised if they intervene. Everything they put in takes off like wildfire, including the 2 Sheetz they put in 1/4 mile from each other at Star City.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:48 AM

49 posts, read 107,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
You can contact them through the city's website, but Sheetz is investing a lot of money in Morgantown and I'd be real surprised if they intervene. Everything they put in takes off like wildfire, including the 2 Sheetz they put in 1/4 mile from each other at Star City.
With the second sheetz they added in Star City they did not put a turning lane on Boyers ave. So now traffic always backs up when someone is trying to turn in. There should also be a better intersection where Boyers meets University.

That is the biggest problem I have with this city. I don't mind (most) of the development, however the roads are never built up for the volume of the traffic that these new developments cause. Just like what they are doing with the West Run Development, I'm sure the roads will not be sufficient for the new traffic.

As for this Sheetz, I am pretty disappointed, as I live in South Park and would love to have had something other than a gas station...but I'm sure there is nothing that can be done.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:36 AM

671 posts, read 1,056,884 times
It's funny - people were all fired up about an apartment tower being built on the adjacent block (which, as a result of such protest, never materialized), yet this eyesore of a gas station will be built with minimal protest the same individuals. It makes no sense, given that an apartment building would have promoted the healthy downtown that we all desire. Gotta love living in WV...

Old 04-25-2013, 12:23 PM

354 posts, read 505,439 times
Let's voice our opinion and spread the word. Everyone I've talked to thinks it's moronic. A gas station in that spot is counter to how Morgantown should grow to be premier and attractive. Is the online form on the county commission website the best way to be heard? I urge everyone to drop them a line.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
It's funny - people were all fired up about an apartment tower being built on the adjacent block (which, as a result of such protest, never materialized), yet this eyesore of a gas station will be built with minimal protest the same individuals. It makes no sense, given that an apartment building would have promoted the healthy downtown that we all desire. Gotta love living in WV...
Well now, you're overlooking the obvious there. We are unique in Morgantown in that the old guard politicos are strongly tied into real estate interests. Local landlords objected to the tower, and used the position (that most people would agree with) that they don't want tall buildings in that area. The real objective, however, was to limit competition. Now, you can look at the massive developments in Sunnyside and say why didn't they make more of an attempt to intervene there? The answer to that is those same interests are making enough money from the sale of land in that process that it more than offsets lost income from the former student slums. The University is paying them a small fortune for that land.

The new Sheetz does not compete with old guard real estate interests, so the increase in tax revenue will be viewed as a positive.

There is a new group of people running in the municipal election this year that, if elected, will likely have sweeping positive influences on development in student housing areas of our city. It's going to be tough to unseat the old guard, but it just might happen. It would be a wonderful thing.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
Let's voice our opinion and spread the word. Everyone I've talked to thinks it's moronic. A gas station in that spot is counter to how Morgantown should grow to be premier and attractive. Is the online form on the county commission website the best way to be heard? I urge everyone to drop them a line.
Should we start with a letter to the Dominion Post, to make our opposition public?

Old 04-25-2013, 06:52 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,184 times
In the meantime, Point Marion still has no gas station. You would think Sheetz or BFS would open up on there. They still have go into Morgantown (Canyon Rd/119 intersection) or Smithfield for gas. Considering that Sheetz is PA based, you would think they would open one in their home turf.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:09 PM

Point Marion is only nominally in PA. If you look at the map, they aren't even attached to PA, but are an appendage of WV out in the water with the state line running through it. PA is on the other side of the river. The majority of the people living there identify with Morgantown... not PA. Many use relatives addresses and send their children to school in Morgantown, which is where the parents work.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Many use relatives addresses and send their children to school in Morgantown, which is where the parents work.
So true. I'm surprised Mon County schools hasn't cracked down yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown