Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 09:11 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
No you are wrong. I cannot publish proof but I can provide verbal guarantee that WVU routinely accepts students with lower test scores than those listed on the official website and these are students who currently attend Morgantown campus and have never attended another post secondary institution of any kind. You can believe this or not but I won't compromise my family's well-being to publish proof of this. Sorry that it doesn't fit your worldview of WVU being a most excellent educational institute. It's good and the best in WV but it's not a world class undergraduate experience. Furthermore, I find your need to assume that this 'bending of the academic rules' to be related to affirmative action more than a bit disgusting and, frankly, quite racist, especially when not the case here.
First of all, I said those were "average" test scores, not the test scores of the lowest qualifying student admitted, so you are wrong in your assumption. There is no need for you to provide any proof of anything, because an average always has people higher and people lower than the median. We are hampered by, frankly, being in West Virginia, and have suffered through a 60% reduction in state funding during the past 8 years. It's pretty hard to be "world class", as you mention, in those circumstances when state government has twisted priorities in the way it allocates money. Still, the education one receives at WVU is very good, and in some subject areas it actually is world class.

In terms of quality vs. cost, it is among the best in the Nation. We are fortunate that alumni and donors are stepping to the plate to offset much of the state reductions in funding. Other schools have not been so fortunate in that regard, and the endowed scholarships created by donations are offsetting the reductions in funding for the better students.

I'm sorry that you choose to believe that Affirmative Action is racist. I'm not making a statement either for or against it... I'm just saying that it is common practice for it to be utilized in admittance of students at most universities, including Ivy League schools, and in hiring practices too, especially in the public sector. If you don't believe that to be the case, that's your opinion. Mine is different. That doesn't make either of us "racist". People throw that word around far too often just because someone disagrees with them. I'm not intimidated by your use of it. I believe you should question the way in which you use it. If you knew me, you would know that is not the case at all. I happen to come from a multi racial family and there are plenty of conservatives who don't happen to be white.

If you have some sort of inside information that Affirmative Action is not used in admissions at WVU, I'm happy to hear it, because personally, I believe it to be a form of discrimination. Discrimination is bad no matter who is being discriminated against, and that includes white people.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 08-19-2016 at 09:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 09:22 PM

Personally, the thing that makes me most proud of the latest testing data are the relative math scores of the average student being admitted. That is especially noteworthy for the students who took the SAT. STEM is considered the most important factor in quality, and WVU is improving their relative position in that area very well.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:12 PM

632 posts, read 832,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvsr715 View Post
The J.W. Ruby name already has the lighting behind it. So far, I have not noticed the "WV" having any sort of lights at night. This could be due to the new tower not being fully functional yet with the interior still being built (electrical).

bballjunkie: The hospital opened in '88 (not including the HSC which was the original hospital in the 60s), but I'm not sure when the flying dubv came to be.

Flying WV came with Nehlen so around 80-81

Old 08-21-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
Flying WV came with Nehlen so around 80-81
Don Nehlen and a graphic artist together created the Flying WV ... among the most recognizable monikers in the Nation.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:37 AM

891 posts, read 1,053,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Don Nehlen and a graphic artist together created the Flying WV ... among the most recognizable monikers in the Nation.

Eh, thats a stretch...It's probably in the Top 50 Most recognizable COLLEGE SPORTS logos, cause certainly any College football or basketball fan in the nation is gonna recognize it...but I would guess among those that dont pay sports any mind, they wouldnt recognize it right away, if at all.....might could put two and two together and guess WV stands for West Virginia by process of elimination, since theres not alot else WV could stand for.... but most recognized logos in general would be stuff like Coca-Cola, McDonald's, Apple, and so on...Even people who dont pay attention to sports are far more likely to recognize world famous Pro sports team logos (Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, Cowboys, Steelers, Raiders, Lakers, Celtics etc) before they would the flying WV.....Just another attempt to oversell all things Morgantown and WVU related.....

Last edited by Colt .45; 08-22-2016 at 01:02 AM..

Old 08-22-2016, 05:54 AM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x2o86_2NA4

Old 08-22-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
Eh, thats a stretch...It's probably in the Top 50 Most recognizable COLLEGE SPORTS logos, cause certainly any College football or basketball fan in the nation is gonna recognize it...but I would guess among those that dont pay sports any mind, they wouldnt recognize it right away, if at all.....might could put two and two together and guess WV stands for West Virginia by process of elimination, since theres not alot else WV could stand for.... but most recognized logos in general would be stuff like Coca-Cola, McDonald's, Apple, and so on...Even people who dont pay attention to sports are far more likely to recognize world famous Pro sports team logos (Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, Cowboys, Steelers, Raiders, Lakers, Celtics etc) before they would the flying WV.....Just another attempt to oversell all things Morgantown and WVU related.....
Yes ... among the most recognizable college logos. That's what I meant. Athlon ranks the Flying WV as the #30 moniker. Since there are well over 3,000 4 year colleges and universities in the Nation, that makes it among the most recognizable. Any attempt to "oversell" something exists only in your mind. But, in the future I'll try to be more explicit for you so you can connect the dots. The thread was about things at a University so I had wrongly assumed that wouldn't be necessary.

Power Ranking the Top 50 College Football Logos | Bleacher Report

Old 08-22-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Yes ... among the most recognizable college logos. That's what I meant. Athlon ranks the Flying WV as the #30 moniker. Since there are well over 3,000 4 year colleges and universities in the Nation, that makes it among the most recognizable. Any attempt to "oversell" something exists only in your mind. But, in the future I'll try to be more explicit for you so you can connect the dots. The thread was about things at a University so I had wrongly assumed that wouldn't be necessary.

Power Ranking the Top 50 College Football Logos | Bleacher Report
It does not exist only in my mind, as others here have also pointed out as well your tendencies....Morgantown and WVU can do no wrong in your mind, that lil sabbatical you took did nothin to change that....

Old 08-22-2016, 06:26 PM

632 posts, read 832,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
It does not exist only in my mind, as others here have also pointed out as well your tendencies....Morgantown and WVU can do no wrong in your mind, that lil sabbatical you took did nothin to change that....

I tend to not agree with CT on a lot of issues but I do on this one. The flying WV is one of the most well known logos in all of college athletics and is great marketing for the state and the university

Old 08-22-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
I tend to not agree with CT on a lot of issues but I do on this one. The flying WV is one of the most well known logos in all of college athletics and is great marketing for the state and the university
yea that was agreed upon, but he said "among the most recognized monikers in the nation"......That makes me think he's tryin to put it up there with the likes of Coca-Cola and whatnot...If he wasn't, then my bad.....but if he is, then he's just wrong.....its certainly somethin I wouldnt put past him anyway....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown