U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2013, 08:40 AM

10,148 posts, read 13,264,636 times

Advertisements

Shoney's is planning to build a new restaurant in Sabraton to replace the worn out one in Star City, which is located on land owned by The University. In a new strategy, they will be offering beer and wine at the new location...

Article - Shoney’s hopes to open location in Sabraton
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 08:52 AM

5,274 posts, read 7,395,400 times
That is a ways away from the original Shoney's, but Shoney's fans will certainly drive anywhere in town as long as they have that option. Plus this location will pick up a few more highway customers than the other one did. The dunkin will be a nice add as well. Having lived the past year with a Dunkin literally less than 5 mins away, and 20 others within a 20 mile radius, I now know the greatness of living near one.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:02 AM

354 posts, read 440,150 times
1) I figured shoneys would close its doors before opening a new location. 2) shoneys is disgusting.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
1) I figured shoneys would close its doors before opening a new location. 2) shoneys is disgusting.
I do think the new concept has promise. It will be similar to a NYC area diner.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:42 PM

664 posts, read 925,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
Think of it as charity that they'll put their money into a nice, new restaurant building, and eventually vacate due to lack of interest, allowing a real restaurant to open up for a low price.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
That is a ways away from the original Shoney's, but Shoney's fans will certainly drive anywhere in town as long as they have that option. Plus this location will pick up a few more highway customers than the other one did. The dunkin will be a nice add as well. Having lived the past year with a Dunkin literally less than 5 mins away, and 20 others within a 20 mile radius, I now know the greatness of living near one.
20 Dunkin's in a 20 mile radius? I'd imagine that to be an area with a real weight issue. I think it's fair to say that is high fat saturation.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:32 PM

843 posts, read 1,353,976 times
I remember when the old Shoney's in Bridgeport closed and a new one off Emily Drive in Clarksburg was built. The Clarksburg location was very nice and it stayed fairly busy. It eventually closed down a couple of years ago.

I visited my brother over in Belpre, OH and we went to the Shoney's in Parkersburg for dinner a few weeks ago. It was remodeled and the food and service improved a lot.

I've never been to the Star City Shoney's. I always thought it looked kind of drab stuck back behind that Econo Lodge hotel. Hopefully the new one in Sabraton will work out.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:40 PM

The new twist is they will be offering alcoholic drinks. That makes it more like the New York/New Jersey type diners that are highly successful in those areas. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:38 PM

1,946 posts, read 3,649,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
The new twist is they will be offering alcoholic drinks. That makes it more like the New York/New Jersey type diners that are highly successful in those areas. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Sounds like Shoneys is going to try a new twist and keep up with the times. I wish the. Good luck an dhope this works out.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,574 times
My husband and I went to the new Shoneys yesterday...6/18/14... for dinner. It was the absolute worst experience we've ever had at a restaurant. The floors were so greasy that we and other customers could not walk without our feet wanting to slide out from underneath us as if walking on solid ice. We ordered the Country Fried Steak dinner which came with the Salad, Soup & Fruit Bar. The Soup containers at the bar were near empty (and remained that way our entire stay even though the waitress told us they were heating up more soup) and the soups looked like they had been there way to long with a crust formed over the top of them. The Ranch Salad Dressing we both got for our salads was watered down to the point it tasted like little more than water and the Country Fried Steak they served us was a very small, thin, nasty tasting substance that we were sure was not real meat and it and our instant mashed potatoes might have had a total of 2 tablespoons of nasty gravy slapped on them. The iced tea my husband ordered tasted like we would imagine dirty dishwater would taste. And last but not least the ladies restroom was nasty dirty.

When paying our bill at the register I asked the cashier "Don't you see all of these people here sliding all over the floor trying to walk without breaking their necks?" She said "Yes I do, we have to wear a good gripping shoe to walk on these floors ourselves". That explained to us why the employees were not sliding around as bad to get where they needed to go. Then she preceded to explain that it was the humidity in the restaurant that was causing the slippery floors. My first thought was this...."How do you have a humidity problem in a place that is air conditioned and quite chilly due to the air conditioning?" And if it was really a humidity problem wouldn't a descent restaurant want to resolve that problem before someone gets hurt? We have been to many restaurants and never had such a bad experience as the new Shoneys was. We have never ever written a review before good or bad about anything but we left the new Sabraton, WV Shoneys with empty stomachs vowing to warn others...do not waste your money on that place!!!! And consider what the kitchen could possibly look like if they do not care about possibly being sued when someone likely breaks their neck etc etc !!!! Yuck!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown