Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 04:58 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Diogenes_ View Post
Daniels is sort of out of place to a downtown that mostly only caters to nightlife at this point. If I were the police, I'd be a little worried about the potential for a large club/bar to open in that large space. That would basically make it two contiguous blocks of bars and clubs...
Not really. Downtown is mostly restaurants. It also has lots of small local stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 06:29 PM

30 posts, read 35,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Not really. Downtown is mostly restaurants. It also has lots of small local stores.
I lived on high street for several years. Yes, there are "restaurants" which are basically sports bars, until you get down closer to the Hotel Morgan, where there are a few more upscale places. However, most of the places are just lunch shops and drunk food, unless you consider DP Doughm Pita Pit or Casas (the three surrounding Daniels) to be fine dining. It's like Bourbon Street out there from Tuesday night until Sunday morning, I know because my I had windows in my apartment facing Bent Willys and actual high street.

Bottom line is that Daniels is moving to a place where the sort of people that buy business suits and professional clothes more likely to shop, and you better believe there is a local businessman who is salivating at the though of a large ground level bar right there on High Street.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:11 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Diogenes_ View Post
I lived on high street for several years. Yes, there are "restaurants" which are basically sports bars, until you get down closer to the Hotel Morgan, where there are a few more upscale places. However, most of the places are just lunch shops and drunk food, unless you consider DP Doughm Pita Pit or Casas (the three surrounding Daniels) to be fine dining. It's like Bourbon Street out there from Tuesday night until Sunday morning, I know because my I had windows in my apartment facing Bent Willys and actual high street.

Bottom line is that Daniels is moving to a place where the sort of people that buy business suits and professional clothes more likely to shop, and you better believe there is a local businessman who is salivating at the though of a large ground level bar right there on High Street.

The I lived there argument doesnt work. So did I, but that is irrelevant. There is fine dining on High street. There is also cheap dining. Perhaps some food could be considered drunk food, but that doesnt make a restaurant any less of a restaurant. Some restaurants function as bars, and others as clubs.

Downtown Morgantown is NOT just a strip of bars and clubs though. That is untrue. It is mostly residential dwellings with a mixture of restaurants, coffee shops, local stores, professional offices, bars, organizations like CRU or Salvation army, clubs, government buildings, churches, etc.

Your earlier statement is untrue. It does have a lot of nightlife, but that is FAAR from the only thing downtown.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:22 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,096 times
Morgantown does seem to have a growing mix of businesses located downtown. I noticed that on my last trip to town. But what does Morgantown need that it doesn't have already? What would be a good fit in that vacant shop?

Old 07-23-2013, 05:58 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,529 times
Unfortunately, Walgreens has probly taken notice....

Old 07-23-2013, 07:42 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,483 times
Daniel's Men's Clothing Store in Morgantown Moving After 50 Year - WBOY.com: Clarksburg, Morgantown: News, Sports, Weather

It's moving to the old flooring store near Ogawa (corner of University and Inglewood).

Old 07-23-2013, 09:22 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
Daniel's Men's Clothing Store in Morgantown Moving After 50 Year - WBOY.com: Clarksburg, Morgantown: News, Sports, Weather

It's moving to the old flooring store near Ogawa (corner of University and Inglewood).
That's a better location for their type of business... more available parking.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:03 PM

37 posts, read 48,679 times
My biggest concern is that often times when a business changes locations like this, they often don't make it too long and end up closing altogether. I imagine they'll have more expensive rent and then too, they won't get the casual business of people just walking by to come in and take a look. Plus there is no other similar business close by like they had downtown with Coni and Franc's. Hopefully they aren't next.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:44 PM

491 posts, read 610,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Order66 View Post
My biggest concern is that often times when a business changes locations like this, they often don't make it too long and end up closing altogether. I imagine they'll have more expensive rent and then too, they won't get the casual business of people just walking by to come in and take a look. Plus there is no other similar business close by like they had downtown with Coni and Franc's. Hopefully they aren't next.
You can be able to get in and out of the new store location a lot easier than it would be down on High Street. Easy access from Patterson Drive.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:46 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
I was in Daniel's today to buy some clothes. I talked with the son of the owner. The family is keeping the property and tearing down the current building. They will be building a very nice, new apartment building on that site and moving to the Evansdale location as others have indicated. They did the market research, and traffic for clothing sales is much better out there along with free parking. They expect to increase revenue from both properties with these moves.

There is a major demand for apartments in the downtown area. Those coupled with the nice mix of restaurants, clubs, the Met Theater, small specialty shops, and nearness to the Main Campus make for a desirable situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown