Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 09:38 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,983,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph3000 View Post
I'm all for growth of Morgantown but this is a bad idea. There is already enough traffic back-up on Beechhurst, especially turning left into Westover now that they reduced that flow to one lane. Can you imagine the mess that is going to be there when people are backed up, turning left to get to sheetz and the left turn lane into Westover? Ugh. I will be avoiding that area like the plague from 4pm to 6:30pm when the students come back.
When the state gets off its pork barrel butt and completes highway upgrades up Beechurst, that traffic backup will be greatly reduced. A gas/station/coffee shop on that side of Don Knotts was going to happen anyway... there are none others there... it is just as good that it is a Sheetz as any other one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
That's great news! I also noticed a strip of undeveloped land between the bike path and the river that Sheetz hasn't built on yet. That would be ideal for luring in hungry moms pushing their toddlers in a double stroller. Now that Sheetz almost has the entire Morgantown food market cornered, they should look into providing other services. I was thinking Sheetz taxi service. And all passengers get a free Shmagel.
Not on that side of town they don't... have a corner on any food market, but the strip of land you're talking about is a park. Nobody is going to build there.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:51 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,408,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
Don't just voice your displeasure here. Send the city your thoughts:

GovPartner :: GovPartner.GSS.Request

This is a terrible idea. The site has more potential as an empty lot than ANOTHER sheetz. The two in star city is ludicrous. To put another on beechurst would be a travesty.
Here's a post of mine from a thread back in April:

"Well, I emailed one of the council members last night and got a reply this morning. He's of the same opinion about the situation as we are - we are not diametrically opposed to Sheetz itself but the position in the downtown core. He described it as being "unattractive and garish." Unfortunately, it falls within the permitted uses of the zoning district, so there isn't much the council can do. Moreover, they cannot dictate the style of buildings either, only that they are safe and clean per the building codes. This is due to the state legislation on the matter, and as such the state is one of the most restrictive in terms of municipal power. Morgantown will almost certainly be applying for home rule, but will probably face resistance from the local slumlords."

And, for reference, here is the former thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/morga...mier-site.html

Old 07-24-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
Here's a post of mine from a thread back in April:

"Well, I emailed one of the council members last night and got a reply this morning. He's of the same opinion about the situation as we are - we are not diametrically opposed to Sheetz itself but the position in the downtown core. He described it as being "unattractive and garish." Unfortunately, it falls within the permitted uses of the zoning district, so there isn't much the council can do. Moreover, they cannot dictate the style of buildings either, only that they are safe and clean per the building codes. This is due to the state legislation on the matter, and as such the state is one of the most restrictive in terms of municipal power. Morgantown will almost certainly be applying for home rule, but will probably face resistance from the local slumlords."

And, for reference, here is the former thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/morga...mier-site.html
The local slumlords are a major political force in our city, but they suffered a dramatic defeat in the last election. They do still have some carryover membership carping for their cause, but I believe their days as a political force here are numbered. Maybe that's why some of them are taking advantage of lucrative offers and selling out to The University or private developers.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:22 AM

354 posts, read 503,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Maybe that's why some of them are taking advantage of lucrative offers and selling out to The University or private developers.
This thought crossed my mind as well.

I believe it's a worthy cause to build an opposition against. We all realize the decisions made now will have a huge impact while the city is in growth mode. There's no way a sheetz on that corner helps the city become more attractive. It will be a permanent blip as long as we live here all because some scumbag wanted to cash out and run.

Don't forget to write a note and pass the link on

GovPartner :: GovPartner.GSS.Request

Old 07-25-2013, 07:39 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,055,089 times
Quote:
Not on that side of town they don't... have a corner on any food market, but the strip of land you're talking about is a park. Nobody is going to build there.
Maybe I should have used more Burlywood CT.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Diogenes_ View Post
Moving on up! I wonder how many Sheetz NYC has?! Probably not nearly as many as Motown, because they can't compare ! Charleston, are you listening? Time to relocate the capitol yo!
Amazingly NYC wouldn't be attractive for Sheetz type operations. That place is in retrograde in terms of such things. It is really not like a single city but a collection of thousands of neighborhoods with only loose relationships to each other. They still have corner grocery markets there, and gas stations that actually have mechanics working in them. It's like stuck in the 50s.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EerWax View Post
Sheetz knows where the money flow is though. The 2 Sheetz at the Star City bridge have to be swimming in cash.
You got that right. With the traffic flow past those two they are both jammed full all the time. This one will be too as Don Knotts is a major artery. It was inevitable that somebody would put an operation like this some place along there.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:55 AM

671 posts, read 1,053,252 times
Quote:
Amazingly NYC wouldn't be attractive for Sheetz type operations. That place is in retrograde in terms of such things. It is really not like a single city but a collection of thousands of neighborhoods with only loose relationships to each other. They still have corner grocery markets there, and gas stations that actually have mechanics working in them. It's like stuck in the 50s.
Are you an android, incapable of detecting a joke? This is the second time in two days that you've responded in all seriousness to someone's jocular, flippant comments. I'm starting to wonder?

Old 07-25-2013, 02:12 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,055,089 times
I'm trying to picture where this intersection is located.

Nevermind, i found it, Google Maps is my friend.

Last edited by Silkdashocker; 07-25-2013 at 02:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown