Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 07:19 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,870,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarrison84 View Post
If you are disputing my argument, you are free to prove it wrong with your own sources. I am not required to prove anything here, I don't care enough about this either way.

It seems like you prefer to talk about McDonalds though. LOL

That is not how it works. Since you are making a claim burden of proof is on YOU. It is not my role to disprove something you made up. If you come running out of the woods and say, "I saw bigfoot in the woods having tea with aliens from Mars," you need to prove this. It isnt my responsibility to disprove that big foot is not in the woods having tea with aliens, that only poor people who cant afford anything else eat at McDonalds, or that nobody retires to Morgantown. You cant prove something that doesnt exist wrong, it is wrong by default since no proof exist.

It seems like you prefer to make logical fallacies and then try to back away from them when you cant produce a shred of evidence. LOL

At least you admit you cant support anything you have said.

You obviously do care as you keep replying on this subject. Let be give you some advice it is going to be faster and easier for you to actually prove your point with evidence then to make post after post giving excuses on why you have no support or refusing to back up lies. You are just going to get called out more and further exposed as being wrong. It would be easier to just give support.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:24 PM

376 posts, read 727,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post

That is not how it works. Since you are making a claim burden of proof is on YOU. It is not my role to disprove something you made up. If you come running out of the woods and say, "I saw bigfoot in the woods having tea with aliens from Mars," you need to prove this. It isnt my responsibility to disprove that big foot is not in the woods having tea with aliens, that only poor people who cant afford anything else eat at McDonalds, or that nobody retires to Morgantown. You cant prove something that doesnt exist wrong, it is wrong by default since no proof exist.

It seems like you prefer to make logical fallacies and then try to back away from them when you cant produce a shred of evidence. LOL

Actually, it doesn't work like that. This isn't a court room.

You are making the assertion that I am wrong. If somebody wants to assume that I am wrong b/c I have not provided a source, that is fine but they have not proven that I am wrong, at the same time. There is no presumption that I am wrong if I don't provide a source.

You don't have a respons;ibity to prove that I am wrong, nor do I have the responsibity to prove I am right.

I do think if you are asserting something is not true, then really you should make the case it isn't true, otherwise why bother stating it. It sounds like you don't believe it is true so if you believe it isn't true then you should have a reason for believing it is not true and you could just as easily tell us that in addition to telling us it isn't true.

I think it is self evident that a warm weather place near the coast has more retirees than a small town in the mountains of WV where they burn couches after a football game. LOL

Old 08-19-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Actually, it doesn't work like that. This isn't a court room.

You are making the assertion that I am wrong. If somebody wants to assume that I am wrong b/c I have not provided a source, that is fine but they have not proven that I am wrong, at the same time.

You don't have a respons;ibity to prove that I am wrong, nor do I have the responsibity to prove I am right.

I do think if you are asserting something is not true, then really you should make the case it isn't true, otherwise why bother stating it. It sounds like you don't believe it is true so if you believe it isn't true then you should have a reason for believing it is not true and you could just as easily tell us that in addition to telling us it isn't true.
I did an edit here is the rest of my comment.

You obviously do care as you keep replying on this subject. Let be give you some advice it is going to be faster and easier for you to actually prove your point with evidence then to make post after post giving excuses on why you have no support or refusing to back up lies. You are just going to get called out more and further exposed. It would be easier to just give support.

This isnt a court room, it is logic 101.

Anyway, your opinion and assumptions are noted. If you ever want to give any support for this big assumption you made that is not shown to be based off any data feel free to come back and do so, but you dont care right? You dont care so much that you arent going to keep giving excuses on why you cant provide support. That is how much you dont care.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:40 PM

I won this argument logically with this one line, which turned your silly McDonald's analogy around on you:

People with money don't buy hamburgers at Mconalds, similar to people with money don't go to Morgantown to retire.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I won this argument logically with this one line, which turned your silly McDonald's analogy around on you:

People with money don't buy hamburgers at Mconalds, similar to people with money don't go to Morgantown to retire.
LOL, sure. If you say so. However, everyone can see you are right when you prove that statement, so prove it.

Quote:
So like I said I eagerly await your support.

BTW, ironically according to Danth's law you just lost the argument

Quote:
“If you have to insist that you've won an internet argument, you've probably lost badly.”
Basic internet laws.

Quote:
This is also known as the “you have fallen into my rhetorical trap” argument, wherein somebody says something patently stupid to you and you bulldoze them solely by pointing out obvious facts a fifth grader knows. You know, like every single argument on Facebook about politics, found underneath even the most mildly political article.
The name comes from infamous (to RPG.net users) forum poster Danth, who had this as a favorite tactic. It’s also called Parker’s Law.
Following Danth’s Law is a particular favorite of people who run forums and are chronically unable to win arguments. See for example Tim Buckley and the Ctrl-Alt-Del forums, notorious for banning users that disagree with the Buckley regime on anything, Scott Kurtz and PvP’s nearly monthly forum wipes for precisely the same reasons, and, of course, the ultimate example: Andrew Schafly, of Conservapedia, and his sad attempt to refute the work of Richard Lenski.

Read more: Know Your Laws: Five Laws That Run The Internet | UPROXX

Last edited by cry_havoc; 08-19-2013 at 07:59 PM..

Old 08-19-2013, 07:49 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,035,127 times
Quote:
I think most people were probably saying that about Morgantown. LOL

Lot of people retire in Columbia. I don't think people are flocking to the wilds of West Virginia for cold winters in their retirment unless they are WVU grads.
Think what you will. Apparently you just don't know. Compare the outdoor venues of Columbia (yes, I have been there) to what we have in Morgantown. Look up how far it is from Columbia to a major population center. Look up the unemployment and crime rates of both cities. Then get back to us. LOL

When you finish doing that, I'll tell you to do the same thing with Winston Salem. Morgantown is quickly becoming a destination for business and for retirement.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Think what you will. Apparently you just don't know. Compare the outdoor venues of Columbia (yes, I have been there) to what we have in Morgantown. Look up how far it is from Columbia to a major population center. Look up the unemployment and crime rates of both cities. Then get back to us. LOL

When you finish doing that, I'll tell you to do the same thing with Winston Salem. Morgantown is quickly becoming a destination for business and for retirement.
CT btw, your retirement to Morgantown doesnt count. You arent a WVU alumni are you? LOL

Old 08-19-2013, 08:03 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,070,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
CT btw, your retirement to Morgantown doesnt count. You arent a WVU alumni are you? LOL
CT should come home already and retire down here near Marshall and his pal CR. ; )

Old 08-19-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post

There are no good jobs in Morgantown, people there just work in retail / restaurants. It's a smaller town so it makes sense there is less crime there than a bigger city.

Columbia is 1.5 hours to Charlotte, 3 hours or so to Atlanta. Do you not consider these major population centers? LOL

You guys are close to Pittsburgh. LOL I'd rather be close to Charleston and the beach.

I don't know what you mean by outdoor venues but Columbia has two nice lakes nearby.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
CT should come home already and retire down here near Marshall and his pal CR. ; )
But SILK NOBODY retires there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown