Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 06:10 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
usualy a drug deal gowing sour...that one about 3 weeks ago was about a kid who owed his 'crack-packer' $2000...If it had been in California, the shooter would have cut off his hands and head with a machete.
Wow. I live in a college town in California, and I had NO IDEA it was so dangerous here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 09:45 PM

605 posts, read 866,538 times
.................................................. ..........

Old 12-11-2007, 11:54 AM

938 posts, read 2,898,059 times
Oh no, we've angered the Californians. Run and hide before they will beat us with their surfboards and brainwash our children with their Scientology!!!

Old 12-11-2007, 12:15 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,224 times
hahahaha....i don't think anyone was trying to degrade California in anyway as I have family out there. That type of violent crime might not exist in your college town but you can't tell me it doesn't go on in places like Compton. I live in the DC area and can assure you we have violent gang activity like that here, it exists in all major metropolitan areas.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfronz View Post
hahahaha....i don't think anyone was trying to degrade California in anyway as I have family out there. That type of violent crime might not exist in your college town but you can't tell me it doesn't go on in places like Compton. I live in the DC area and can assure you we have violent gang activity like that here, it exists in all major metropolitan areas.

Right, but I thought in the post he was referring to a drug incident in Morgantown, and saying that in California that same incident would have resulted in a machete-beheading and behanding (is that a word?). If that incident did indeed occur in Morgantown, he needs to compare it to a college town in California, not places like Compton. Otherwise you're comparing apples and rabbits, as they say on another forum. What happens in Compton has nothing to do with what happens in other places in California. In fact, Compton is 500 miles away from me - more than another state away in the East.

Compton = worst parts of Detroit.
Morgantown = my town, Davis, CA.

(I grew up in the DC area, my mother's family is all from Wheeling and I've spent many summers there...no place is perfect.)

Old 12-11-2007, 09:36 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,224 times
true but then again los angeles is also a college town (well city i guess) considering USC and UCLA are both there along with a variety of others. although i will admit that comparing LA to Morgantown would be comparing apples to rabbits.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfronz View Post
true but then again los angeles is also a college town (well city i guess) considering USC and UCLA are both there along with a variety of others. although i will admit that comparing LA to Morgantown would be comparing apples to rabbits.
You're right, of course, and most cities do have universities, but usually when someone says "college town," I think of something a little smaller where much of the town atmosphere centers around the local university, like Morgantown, Davis, CA, Bloomington, IN, Ithaca, NY, or Eugene or Corvallis OR, etc. My point was just that the little college town I live in is at least as safe or maybe even safer than Morgantown, even though it's in California. Actually, I just looked at the crime stats on city-data. com and our rates of all crime categories are 2/3 to less than 1/2 of Morgantown's per 100,000 people, even though our population is a little over twice yours. (Except for auto theft, which is higher here.) So, it's not a place you're likely to be "machete-ed" over a drug deal gone bad.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:40 PM

16 posts, read 68,619 times
Do your family a favor...if you are wanting to move to Morgantown, check out the Cheat Lake area! My boyfriend lives there, I go to the park at the backwaters of the lake to walk our dog...there is a wonderful walk-bike trail.
It is absolutely lovely! So serene! great place for kids! The Cheat area is growing rapidly, there is a gorgeous new church, restaurants, veternarian (you will need a dog), everything there that you need really, and you are just a hop, skip and a jump away from everything else Morgantown....great city! Check out the park though for sure! If you decide to check it out, let me know I will give you detailed directions! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown