U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2015, 02:29 PM

664 posts, read 929,342 times

Advertisements

This whole UTC TIF has become a debacle. The Fedex facility was originally outside of the TIF boundaries until last week, which leads me to believe that it would have been built regardless of the developments at UTC. This leaves me with the growing suspicion that this TIF project will ONLY bring in retail jobs, not the family-sustaining jobs that come with office and light industrial employment. While we discuss the merits of a third Japanese steakhouse/dinner theater I can't help but figure that only the developers and WVU will take advantage of this opportunity (WVU for the cheap, undeveloped expanse). Aside from the construction of a ballpark, I just don't see this project becoming anything but a faster way of getting from the mall to Mylan Park, which hardly justifies the work.

This development could have been much more, but I doubt we'll see it happen now as we become engulfed by beauty surplus stores, Field& Stream outlets and countless eateries that dazzle mindless shoppers with ever-increasing amounts of flare. I doubt this development is even looking at long-term traffic issues, as most of the plans show circuitous roads that lack obvious traffic flow patterns. Oh well, it feels good now for the gov't officials, but it will not later if the population growth stops, as we'll all be left with beautiful shopping centers and a rotten city core. This development needed to be an office park and now I'll believe it only when I see real results.
Rate this post positively

Old 11-24-2015, 06:51 AM

354 posts, read 441,912 times
Apparently the developers are more powerful than the county combined. The ever expanding TIF district just shows what a joke this all is. The people are getting fleeced for 30 years. Is anyone going to throw a flag?

Old 11-24-2015, 08:18 AM

664 posts, read 929,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
Apparently the developers are more powerful than the county combined. The ever expanding TIF district just shows what a joke this all is. The people are getting fleeced for 30 years. Is anyone going to throw a flag?
Nope, as long as the doors to Cheddars and the like stay open, the masses won't care.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:17 AM

18 posts, read 25,865 times
You said that feild and stream will fill one of the parcels eventually. How long is eventually?(in other words, when is this going to, or predicted to, happen?)

Old 11-24-2015, 11:23 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,779,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgantownmountaineer View Post
You said that feild and stream will fill one of the parcels eventually. How long is eventually?(in other words, when is this going to, or predicted to, happen?)
I'm not sure, sorry. I'd imagine once infrastructure is in place it would be a go.

Also, I talked to a friend who knows the manager of the wheeling Quaker Steak and Lube and he said that they are going to build a Quaker Steak next to the Field and Stream (my neighbor confirmed this also). But again I have no clue about time frame or where they are in the planning phase.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:08 AM

(WVUmatt)The store you might be thinking about is Blain's Farm and Fleet.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:52 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,779,687 times
Quote:
(WVUmatt)The store you might be thinking about is Blain's Farm and Fleet.
For where Kmart used to be, could be. I wasn't sure about the name, just knew it was some type of tractor supply farm thing and that it wasn't tractor supply.

Edit: Just looked up Blain's Farm and Fleet, looks like an interesting store.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:42 PM

I did not too long ago and I agree

Old 12-04-2015, 09:09 PM

When is chipotle going to open?

Old 12-07-2015, 08:22 AM

334 posts, read 438,405 times
Quote:
When is chipotle going to open?
Chipotle ‏@ChipotleTweets Dec 1
@Garm993 (Morgantown) is not open just yet. It should open on the 13th of this month. -Shan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown