U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-04-2016, 01:16 AM
 
Location: Morgantown, WV
469 posts, read 471,707 times
Reputation: 641

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
Yea Home Depot has always been a thousand times better than Lowe's IMO......
Morgantown is the only place I've lived that didn't have both, and I'll have to respectfully disagree with you here. Home Depot is no better than Lowe's. The selection is about the same, the customer service is no better, and I'll take Valspar paint over Behr 8 days a week (used both).

It's all advertisement.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 06-04-2016, 08:40 AM
 
1,842 posts, read 1,767,271 times
Reputation: 363
I normally prefer lowes, but we need more competition, and having a homedepot would be nice in the area. And Home Depot carries the LED light bulbs I prefer (Cree). But looking at the west view shopping center website, the largest building other than individual parcels available is 45,000 sqf, more than large enough for a whole foods (average size is 32,000 sqf) but not large enough for a Home Depot (average size 105,000 sqf). So they would have to take one of the parcels if they choose to locate here. Isn't the reason we don't have one was because lowes somehow worked out a deal or something to keep them out for a while.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-04-2016, 10:33 AM
 
1,363 posts, read 596,037 times
Reputation: 1803
Lowes may have worked out a deal and I have often wondered why we don't have a Home Depot here either. I would like to note that I strongly feel that even if we had a Home Depot here people would complain about service, etc. as they do with Lowes. The problem is we have so many minimum wage jobs available that it is hard to find dedicated employees to fill these openings.

To be positive the Lowes in Westover just received a national award. It received "Store of the Year" for 2015 and was one of only 14 stores nationwide to receive this. TheDPost.com - A

Also, both offer free shipping to home (though many construction supplies are not included) Lowes is anything over $49 and Home Depot is over $45. How can you buy anything nowadays without spending that small amount? I am inherently lazy LOL and being a female I love when I can order something online and the UPS guy has to do the "work" and leave it on my front porch.

So, anyone who likes Home Depot should consider the free shipping they have too.

Last edited by motownnative; 06-04-2016 at 10:42 AM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-05-2016, 08:27 AM
 
193 posts, read 247,955 times
Reputation: 92
From my recollection of the Lowes/Home Depot issue in Morgantown started when UTC was in the planning stages. Here is what I think happened but I could be wrong. I'm just going off of what I remember and heard back in the day.

The small Lowes in Sabraton (now CSC) moved into the location at the Morgantown Mall. Some time in the early 90's. It operated for several years and then when Glenmark opened the shopping center at peirpont exit of I68 Lowes decided to open a store there and they tore down the lowes that was built at the Morgantown mall. In the meantime, UTC was being designed or construction may have started and rumors that the anchors were going to be wal mart, sams, HD, and Target. At that point Lowes did not want HD in town as competition and with a lot of development going on in the nw part of town they decided to build another Lowes back on the location where they tore the original one down. Soon after that rumors were that HD was not going to be opening a location in Morgantown. Not sure if they felt that 3 home warehouse store would over saturate the Morgantown market or if they was another reason for HD to back out. I do remember that most of the rumors at the time was bad mouthing Lowes for **** - blocking HD's potential arrival to Morgantown.

I don't remember the date or time frame of all of this but I do remember that was the overall concensus of what went down .
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-05-2016, 09:53 AM
 
1,842 posts, read 1,767,271 times
Reputation: 363
Does anyone know if there are plans to develop/ build behind the Chipotle and Starbucks? It looks like perfect layout for 2-3 restaurants.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-05-2016, 11:11 AM
 
241 posts, read 302,972 times
Reputation: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchunk View Post
From my recollection of the Lowes/Home Depot issue in Morgantown started when UTC was in the planning stages. Here is what I think happened but I could be wrong. I'm just going off of what I remember and heard back in the day.

The small Lowes in Sabraton (now CSC) moved into the location at the Morgantown Mall. Some time in the early 90's. It operated for several years and then when Glenmark opened the shopping center at peirpont exit of I68 Lowes decided to open a store there and they tore down the lowes that was built at the Morgantown mall. In the meantime, UTC was being designed or construction may have started and rumors that the anchors were going to be wal mart, sams, HD, and Target. At that point Lowes did not want HD in town as competition and with a lot of development going on in the nw part of town they decided to build another Lowes back on the location where they tore the original one down. Soon after that rumors were that HD was not going to be opening a location in Morgantown. Not sure if they felt that 3 home warehouse store would over saturate the Morgantown market or if they was another reason for HD to back out. I do remember that most of the rumors at the time was bad mouthing Lowes for **** - blocking HD's potential arrival to Morgantown.

I don't remember the date or time frame of all of this but I do remember that was the overall concensus of what went down .
That sounds right now that you mention it; you have a good memory. I had forgotten about them tearing down the old one and rebuilding later and definitely forgot about the one in Sabraton. I think there is enough business for a HD although they would probably take away some of Lowes' business. Maybe the Morgantown Lowes would improve if they had the competition. I actually would love to have more things like that in the Sabraton area (it's closer for me) but doesn't look like it's going to happen. Plenty of banks to chose from but not much else.

We've seen a lot of businesses in the area trying to block competitors recently. Not just real estate and home warehouses; the Whole Foods up at South Hills would probably have been open long ago if Giant Eagle Market District hadn't fought tooth and nail to block it.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-01-2016, 02:06 PM
 
1,842 posts, read 1,767,271 times
Reputation: 363
It looks like the Buffalo Wild Wings construction has started.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-05-2016, 06:14 AM
 
193 posts, read 247,955 times
Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
It looks like the Buffalo Wild Wings construction has started.
Thumbs down to that. That place has some of the worst food I've seen at a sit down restaurant. And that stupid furniture star. What a waste of space.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-05-2016, 07:35 AM
 
334 posts, read 436,775 times
Reputation: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchunk View Post
Thumbs down to that. That place has some of the worst food I've seen at a sit down restaurant. And that stupid furniture star. What a waste of space.

ESPECIALLY behind a freaking ballpark. All it's doing is obstruction Grade A views. Same goes for Marriott as you're heading down the hill by the ballpark. They can't seem to do anything right.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 08-05-2016, 07:45 AM
 
354 posts, read 440,150 times
Reputation: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchunk View Post
Thumbs down to that. That place has some of the worst food I've seen at a sit down restaurant. And that stupid furniture star. What a waste of space.
Star Furniture knows what they're doing. Who doesn't want to pick up a sofa sleeper after taking in a baseball game?? Hopefully they go bankrupt due to the premium they must've paid for that lot, if there was even one.

Hey, at least it wasn't a sheetz, right?
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top