U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2015, 09:58 PM

412 posts, read 395,877 times

Advertisements

I was actually in a Hooters in Naples Florida and they have improved their food and atmosphere. when I lived in Dallas my friends and me only went for wings and girls. they wouldn't be a bad fit. Twin peaks wouldn't be bad either. Morgantown is lucky to have many good sports bars. hopefully the spot isn't empty to long. I always felt suncrest needed one box store to make it a destination even if it was Ross ,T.J. Maxx , home goods or stein mart. any of these store would have done well here.
Rate this post positively

Old 11-14-2015, 10:24 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,768,565 times
I would love a Dave and Busters there, but its not going to happen.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:09 AM

18 posts, read 25,833 times
A few months ago I went to Trader
Joe's location request website and asked them to bring a location to Morgantown, and they E-mailed me back that they will try to contact construction companies, so actually, a trader Joe's is possible.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:23 AM

664 posts, read 926,007 times
Trader Joe's is possible - Aldi recently did a market study here (took zip codes from all customers at checkout). Aldi is sister store of Trader Joe's I n that the two are owned by either the same corporation or by the same family. Of course, Aldi could just be interested in another store in Mon or Marion county...

Old 11-15-2015, 03:28 PM

Maybe

Old 11-16-2015, 07:49 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,097,231 times
I understand some people's aversion to Trader Joe's. It isn't meant to have the largest selection, especially outside actual groceries. For me, however, it has exactly everything I want/need grocery-wise; I'd kill for one. And for people who say Aldi is fine, I can understand that, too. But I've been to multiple Aldis and hated my experience there. It felt like a sad, stressed hybrid of 20% Trader Joe's and 80% Dollar General. That may be my experience and preference, as I know many people who swear by that place, but it pales in comparison to Trader Joe's for me.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:23 PM

It would be nice to have a trader Joe's. Any updates on the university town centre?

Old 11-22-2015, 03:42 PM

It would be nice to have a trader Joe's. Any updates on the university town centre?

Old 11-23-2015, 07:39 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,768,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgantownmountaineer View Post
My neighbor next to me works on the construction project for UTC and for the TIFF district and he has seen some of the plans. Somethings that come to mind is that he said the University has bought a big parcel in the new TIFF district to put a new Football stadium in in the next 10-15 years. He also mentioned a field and stream coming in and building on one of the parcels eventually and he has seen the plans for the bridge eventually going over the mon river and coming in the back of the Colosseum. When I pressed about the stadium he said his company only knows the just basic generic stuff that it is a football stadium and nothing else. Obviously this is all subject to change but he seemed pretty confident about all of this stuff he told me. And he also mentioned that big construction in going to happen for at least another 5 years due to more and more expansion of the TIFF and all of the new projects that keep getting added to it. Also he mentioned a tractor supply/ farm supply store (he couldn't remember the name but Rural king seemed familiar to him but again he wasnt sure) is most likely going to move into the old kMart. He also mentioned another hotel currently not announced coming in. This is all he could remember from when he saw the plans last.

I was really hoping for a Bass Pro Shop

Old 11-23-2015, 08:17 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,097,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
My neighbor next to me works on the construction project for UTC and for the TIFF district and he has seen some of the plans. Somethings that come to mind is that he said the University has bought a big parcel in the new TIFF district to put a new Football stadium in in the next 10-15 years. He also mentioned a field and stream coming in and building on one of the parcels eventually and he has seen the plans for the bridge eventually going over the mon river and coming in the back of the Colosseum. When I pressed about the stadium he said his company only knows the just basic generic stuff that it is a football stadium and nothing else. Obviously this is all subject to change but he seemed pretty confident about all of this stuff he told me. And he also mentioned that big construction in going to happen for at least another 5 years due to more and more expansion of the TIFF and all of the new projects that keep getting added to it. Also he mentioned a tractor supply/ farm supply store (he couldn't remember the name but Rural king seemed familiar to him but again he wasnt sure) is most likely going to move into the old kMart. He also mentioned another hotel currently not announced coming in. This is all he could remember from when he saw the plans last.

I was really hoping for a Bass Pro Shop
No offense to your neighbor, but he might be mixing some plans and rumors on a couple of points. The possible bridge across the Mon is in the earliest of planning stages. There will be a public meeting Thursday, December 3 to go over the progress to date. They've hired a consulting firm which just finished the existing conditions models and from there will study specific corridor alternatives for a new I-79 access (the original three were one at the Coliseum, one at the end of Collins Ferry with an extended West Run, or one at 8th Street going to Westover). The preferred alternative is the one at the Coliseum, but they've only just begun actually studying the different alternatives. Once all that's done, you still have to finish the design, engineering, environmental, and, of course, funding stages of the project. It's a massive undertaking.

The other one is the football stadium. Now, I'll concede that I don't regularly look at public records or land acquisitions, but as of this past tax year, WVU owned no land in the TIF district aside from the outpatient hospital parcel (the county owns the ballpark, though the University may technically own the land under it, or vice versa). The new agreement with Mylan Park for the track facility and natatorium, fyi, will be owned by Mylan Park. The rumor about a new stadium has been floated around since UTC started, but as of yet, there has been no evidence to back it up. In fact, pumping $50-75 million in the existing stadium would be irresponsible, though I suppose if the new one would be built in 15-20 years it wouldn't be as bad. Still, I haven't seen anything indicating WVU now owns land over there.

As for the shops/hotels, your guess is as good as mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown