Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2016, 05:04 PM

354 posts, read 503,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantide83 View Post
Just as I figured, you don't even use the arboretum. The bridge would lead directly to the new intersection so people can make it to the INTERSTATE more quickly and easily, which is sorely needed in that area. It will save EVERYBODY time that passes through that intersection daily to get to the interstate. It's about alleviating traffic from this town, not making runs to the strip mall. Pay attention and use some reading comprehension next time.
First of all you're wrong, I do use the arboretum and it is an asset to the town.

Secondly what makes you think a road (that hasn't been designed) from patteson to the new exit will be any faster than going through star city? What congestion will be relieved from that road? From my perspective, the biggest bottleneck is from the coliseum to utc and it seems half that traffic is going to the utc. Don't you think a bridge from 8th street would have the same affect in relieving congestion?

Old 02-25-2016, 10:02 PM

632 posts, read 820,419 times
The arboretum is a crucial asset to the town and university. You're completely wrong

Old 02-26-2016, 12:43 AM

889 posts, read 1,044,546 times
I dont get what the problem is, can we not just build the bridge from 8th street and make it diagonal towards the UTC? I mean 8th st to patteson dr is what? 1/2 a mile? if that.....Ive been to the Arboretum and it wasnt nothin special to me, but I understand how important it can be to others.....a bridge doesnt necessarily have to be straight across, I know more bridge=more money, but hey, lets be a little less conformative......a diagonal and steep bridge directly from 8th St. to the UTC would be not only awesome, but efficient.....

Old 02-26-2016, 08:10 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,406,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
I dont get what the problem is, can we not just build the bridge from 8th street and make it diagonal towards the UTC? I mean 8th st to patteson dr is what? 1/2 a mile? if that.....Ive been to the Arboretum and it wasnt nothin special to me, but I understand how important it can be to others.....a bridge doesnt necessarily have to be straight across, I know more bridge=more money, but hey, lets be a little less conformative......a diagonal and steep bridge directly from 8th St. to the UTC would be not only awesome, but efficient.....
It'd be efficient, but way too much money. Bear in mind that when the MPO did their Long Range Transportation Plan, they did the rough cost estimate for each alternative. They include the roadways leading to and from each bridge but the cost for the bridge alone at the Arboretum would be $30 million (which was due to the fact it was assumed to be of a gateway appearance and was wider than the other two bridges). And that bridge was only assumed to be 1,000 ft long. There's the issue; this would necessarily take out a large swath of the Arboretum for a new roadway down the hill a ways and the abutments before the bridge was even constructed. The bridge itself would start towards the bottom of the hill and end at Granville, before a new road would lead to UTC. By the MPO's projections, a bridge that would actually start at the end of the Coliseum parking lot and ending at UTC (thus vaulting the Arboretum and Granville) would cost roughly $90 million, with other project costs pushing that over $100 million easily. The total project cost of the original conception of the Patteson to UTC bridge was $49 million.

I'm of the opinion that spending an extra $50 million to save the Arboretum would be irresponsible. On the other hand, destroying a key natural resource in the City to save a few minutes on the trip to get to the interstate is also irresponsible, especially if other viable alternatives exist. The original project cost estimate for the 8th Street Bridge was $32 million ($17 million for the bridge itself). While not a direct link to UTC and the new interchange, the attending roadway modifications through Westover and Granville will provide an additional route to those areas while still relieving some congestion at 705 and Mon Boulevard, not to mention the strain on Beechurst by everyone trying to get to the Westover Bridge.

Having said all that, that's only my opinion. I'm not the consultant and we'll see what their draft recommendations are here in a couple weeks.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
The problem with that is that the Mon River turns west right at 8th Street. So you would be building a bridge down the middle of the river

Old 02-26-2016, 01:04 PM

And to respond the the Arboretum detractors. I work in the Dept. of Biology. The arboretum is used quite frequently. Not to mention it's some nice green space in a city which has no nice parks and where green space is quickly disappearing.

It is an old-growth forest, which is very rare not only in WV, but on much of the east coast. It is also home to HUNDREDS of varieties of species that cannot be seen going for a walk in the forests around here and many of which are studied by the department and other schools within the university and county.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:31 PM

469 posts, read 572,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
And to respond the the Arboretum detractors. I work in the Dept. of Biology. The arboretum is used quite frequently. Not to mention it's some nice green space in a city which has no nice parks and where green space is quickly disappearing.

It is an old-growth forest, which is very rare not only in WV, but on much of the east coast. It is also home to HUNDREDS of varieties of species that cannot be seen going for a walk in the forests around here and many of which are studied by the department and other schools within the university and county.
We frequent it quite a bit during the warmer months, very nice place. There always other people there too.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:31 PM

120 posts, read 150,424 times
For all those concerned about green space, you can travel 10 minutes to the east and find all the green space you want at Cooper's Rock. In fact, you can travel in any direction and within a few minutes you will find green space. This town needs a bridge connecting Patteson Drive to the new interchange way more than it needs the arboretum (which is on a steep hillside anyway and inaccessible to a lot of older people and those with physical impairments).

Old 02-28-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantide83 View Post
For all those concerned about green space, you can travel 10 minutes to the east and find all the green space you want at Cooper's Rock. In fact, you can travel in any direction and within a few minutes you will find green space. This town needs a bridge connecting Patteson Drive to the new interchange way more than it needs the arboretum (which is on a steep hillside anyway and inaccessible to a lot of older people and those with physical impairments).
The arboretum is OWNED and primarily used by WVU.....aka not older people. The top 3 acres of the arboretum is flat, well-maintained, and easily accessible to older and handicapped. And, like I said, there is plant diversity there that cannot be found anywhere else. You can't just replant a 200 year old tree somewhere else

Old 02-29-2016, 09:17 AM

113 posts, read 146,778 times
I can see and agree with points on both sides of the argument about the arboretum and its imporatance. Personally, I would like to see a happy medium reached. A new span across the river is desperately needed and will have to built somewhere; regardless, as the area's traffic demand has surpassed the limits of the current infrastructure. If it makes the most sense to build it over and through the arboretum, then so be it. I'm confident thorough research and planning will be utilized to make sure the impact is as minimal as possible. I hope that given this opportunity, the bridge design will be something that can be a point of pride for the area. I'm no engineer, but a large suspension bridge would look nice in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown