U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 03:09 PM

117 posts, read 118,762 times

Advertisements

Sheetz is getting way out of hand. I mean, seriously, where else do you see two of the same exact convenience stores within a couple football fields of each other like you do in Star City? It's extremely annoying to be driving behind somebody who makes a left at the stop lights to go to Sheetz when they have to stop again less than a few hundred feet away from the intersection to wait for opposing traffic to pass so they can make another left into Sheetz. This causes traffic to back up into the middle of the intersection. Let me be clear about this - THE NEW SHEETZ IN STAR CITY WAS BUILT TO SERVE THOSE LEAVING TOWN, NOT THOSE ENTERING TOWN!!! Why do you think there's a Sheetz 1/4 a mile back on the right hand side of the road with much easier access for vehicles on that side of the road? Why people skip this more accessible Sheetz to go to a less accessible Sheetz a 1/4 mile down the road (while having to stop twice and almost certainly holding up traffic in the process) makes no sense whatsoever.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 08:50 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,278,537 times
It makes perfect sense if you are in business. It's called maximizing exposure on one of our state's busiest
arteries. Both of those Sheetz locations operate at close to maximum capacity. They make lots of money by having those two locations. That's why they are there... not to satisfy your sensibilities, or anybody elses.

By the way, I can't imagine anybody crossing to go to the other Sheetz when they can go to one on the side of the road they are using. I'm sure that is one reason there are two of them... so folks don't have to do that.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
It makes perfect sense if you are in business. It's called maximizing exposure on one of our state's busiest
arteries. Both of those Sheetz locations operate at close to maximum capacity. They make lots of money by having those two locations. That's why they are there... not to satisfy your sensibilities, or anybody elses.

By the way, I can't imagine anybody crossing to go to the other Sheetz when they can go to one on the side of the road they are using. I'm sure that is one reason there are two of them... so folks don't have to do that.
I never said they don't make money from having both there. I'm sure they make plenty of it which is why they put it there in the first place. You might call it "maximizing exposure" but I call it greed, which is what it is in the truest sense. But that wasn't my main gripe to begin with. If you traveled that road often you'd see people coming from the interstate and then skipping the Sheetz on their right as they come into town only to go to the newer one which is much less accessible. It happens ALL THE TIME. I see it with my own eyes. Every time I come into town and try to make a left at the stoplights to get onto University Avenue there is always at least one or two numb-nuts trying to pull into that Sheetz causing traffic to back up into the intersection. It's ridiculous. The last thing we need in this town is more traffic/congestion, which is exactly what Sheetz caused by opening that second store. They could easily just block that entrance off so that people would be forced to use the one on their side of the road as they come into town but they don't even do that much. It's pure greed.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:41 PM

Greed.... profit motive... it's a lot like a guy working all the overtime he can get. Making money is what drives our economy.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:13 PM

Instead of, "In God We Trust", the dollar bill should say, "In Greed We Trust." Although Capitalism isn't the cause of greed, it does nothing to stop it and everything to encourage it. Faith in God has been usurped by faith in free market economics. Who knew that which is supposed to be secular could have it's own religion?

Old 03-16-2014, 02:21 PM

How Greed Outstripped Need

Old 03-17-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantide83 View Post
Instead of, "In God We Trust", the dollar bill should say, "In Greed We Trust." Although Capitalism isn't the cause of greed, it does nothing to stop it and everything to encourage it. Faith in God has been usurped by faith in free market economics. Who knew that which is supposed to be secular could have it's own religion?
It sure is a lot better than the alternative.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:46 PM

191 posts, read 274,155 times
I think everyone here is missing the most important thing; Sheetz food almost all sucks. This is especially true with subs when compared to the far superior Get Go. Id much rather see another Get Go in town.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MischiefWV View Post
I think everyone here is missing the most important thing; Sheetz food almost all sucks. This is especially true with subs when compared to the far superior Get Go. Id much rather see another Get Go in town.
This isn't just Sheetz food. They will actually have a 15,000 square foot super market/restaurant in there, not a convenience store... their first anywhere. This place is going to be really nice. WVU will offer incredible housing options for students (incomparable in our state), and they are doing this without any state funding.

About | University Place | West Virginia University

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsA-ivKWqug

https://wvutoday.wvu.edu/n/2014/03/0...e-in-sunnyside

Old 03-17-2014, 11:01 PM

191 posts, read 274,155 times
Im aware. my comment was tongue in cheek ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown