Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 01:00 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,997,517 times

Advertisements

Another new building on West Virginia University's Evansdale Campus...

Numerous construction projects taking place... without help from state government.

http://construction.wvu.edu/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 10:20 AM

Here's an update on Ag Building construction progress as well as the new Advanced (PhD level) Engineering Research Facility. ...

Article - WVU construction

Old 04-22-2014, 07:01 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,411,091 times
First, let me clarify that PhD-level research is being done everywhere on the Engineering campus. The absolutely silly name of the Advanced Engineering Research Building is just for flash. We already have the Engineering Research Building. If I had my lab in that building, I'd feel a little slighted haha!

Also, it's curious that the Lane Department might move. For the last three years we've been told that MAE (Mechanical and Aerospace) would be moving over there. I wonder what changed.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
First, let me clarify that PhD-level research is being done everywhere on the Engineering campus. The absolutely silly name of the Advanced Engineering Research Building is just for flash. We already have the Engineering Research Building. If I had my lab in that building, I'd feel a little slighted haha!

Also, it's curious that the Lane Department might move. For the last three years we've been told that MAE (Mechanical and Aerospace) would be moving over there. I wonder what changed.
So, we have an Engineering Research Building, and an Advanced Engineering Research Building too but all the research is advanced. Sounds to me like this is a situation set up to entice someone to donate money to get a building named for him/her. Could be the Elewis Advanced Engineering Research Building, for example.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
So, we have an Engineering Research Building, and an Advanced Engineering Research Building too but all the research is advanced. Sounds to me like this is a situation set up to entice someone to donate money to get a building named for him/her. Could be the Elewis Advanced Engineering Research Building, for example.
Ha! Well, it might be a while before I have any money like that. A lot of Ben Statler's donation went to the new building, but he got the entire college named after him. I'm betting Ray Lane padded the college's coffers just a bit more to get his namesake department in the new building. Who knows. I'd love to see each department have it's own space, with CS/CE/EE in the AERB, MAE in a new building where Ag Sciences is now, PNG and Mining in the Mineral Resources Building, Industrial Engineering in a new infill building between MRB and ESB, and Chemical Engineering and Civil both sharing space in a renovated or rebuilt ESB. That would take a whole lot of money, though, and the logistics of moving labs around (which are scattered around the campus regardless of department) would be nightmarish.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:32 AM

Going back and looking at the enrollment numbers for each department, it looks like the Lane Department (Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, Biometrics) is the largest in the College with 682, just ahead of Mechanical and Aerospace which has 675. Both are about 16% each of the total College enrollment and about 25% each of the declared majors in the College. So, either way, a bunch of people are moving out of ESB and leaving a good amount of room for growth for the other departments. I still think the next project should be a building adjacent to the new one on the outside edge of the new quad once Ag Sciences is demolished. Put MAE in that and you have a combined 32% more space in ESB for everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown