Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 06:49 AM

124 posts, read 151,344 times

Advertisements

Ten U.S. Cities Where Violent Crime Is Soaring - 24/7 Wall St./
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 02:37 PM

191 posts, read 306,206 times
I was the victim of an armed robbery in the Huntington Bank parking lot that you may have read about a couple years ago. I was one of 4 robbed and had a shotgun on my temple. The 5 guys that robbed us were talking about killing us when cops showed up. The cops only arrested 2 of them and they spent less than a year in minimum security. They got out already, this past week. Ridiculous

Old 04-07-2014, 07:06 AM

334 posts, read 495,695 times
Morgantown is beginning to have a big city feel. You can feel it walking up and down High Street in broad daylight. And really I'm afraid it's only gonna worsen.

City police are too focused on busting drunk drivers then taking the time to investigate assaults of any nature. Also the drug trade is worsening. Heroin (I happen to live next door to a convicted dealer at the moment but not much longer since I'm moving out soon) along with meth, oxy, marijuana, and cocaine are increasingly prominent.

If this city doesn't step up soon it's gonna become little Cleveland very quickly.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:55 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times
Very misleading article. It is all based on "percentages". If you have one crime last year, and two this year you have one of the highest percentages of increases there is but in reality have very little crime. It is also skewed because it uses figures against a "population" of 30,000 (underestimated), while there are actually 55,000 people living here most of the time.

You have to look past the hype of some writer trying to sensationalize something that really is non existent and look at the bottom line. Look at some of those cities he is quoting... cities with 0 murders in them the whole year he is hyping as though they were violent. He states that our murder index is 2.3 per 100K (should actually be about 1.4 if the actual population were being counted, but even if we go with the inflated figure of 2.3) but that is less than half the murder index of Charleston, WV which is 5 per 100K. It is also lower than Huntington's stated rate of 3 but Huntington is probably also getting short changed due to the fact they have a student population. It is higher than Wheeling's stated rate of 0. But Morgantown could easily have 0 murders next year and the guy would have to write an article about the remarkable decline in the percentage of murders. The article is much ado about nothing.

There was some guy running around robbing banks in these parts this year, but I believe they caught him. Our violent crime is virtually nil here. There is not a part of our town where I feel unsafe any time day or night, and I am an old man. When you consider the number of crimes here and compare them with other cities either in or out of our state, even with the skewed figures, our crime rate is very low.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 04-07-2014 at 08:12 AM..

Old 04-12-2014, 12:44 PM

CT you are wrong. Violent crime has increased immensely in this area since i started college in '98.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MischiefWV View Post
CT you are wrong. Violent crime has increased immensely in this area since i started college in '98.
No, you are wrong. I've been around a lot longer than 98, and I live here. Anybody can trot out statistics when there is an amazingly low crime rate... say 1 murder in a year, and then a fluke event results in 2 deaths and say it is a 100% increase. That is the sort of thing that this bogus, sensationalized article is doing. I invite anybody to compare our crime rate to those of similarly sized cities anywhere, or to other cities in our state for that matter. We have a very safe city here with almost no violent crime.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
No, you are wrong. I've been around a lot longer than 98, and I live here. Anybody can trot out statistics when there is an amazingly low crime rate... say 1 murder in a year, and then a fluke event results in 2 deaths and say it is a 100% increase. That is the sort of thing that this bogus, sensationalized article is doing. I invite anybody to compare our crime rate to those of similarly sized cities anywhere, or to other cities in our state for that matter. We have a very safe city here with almost no violent crime.

Ive noted other people calling you out at times for being pompous and for having an enormous case of tunnel vision and shrugged it off. I must say though, that you seem to care more about being right and arguing at times than in just sharing and benefiting others.

I never said Ive only been here since '98. I said thats when I started college here. Secondly, statistics can be used to show whatever anybody wants them to show. They can be skewed, manipulated, etc. I never argued anything about our crime rate in proportion to other areas or other similar sized cities. I could give a care less about other cities. I never argued the validity of the article or fully supported it. The FACT is, that violent crime is increasing in Morgantown and that the larger we grow, the more we are attracting less desirable elements into this town.

Murders have increased, violent assaults have increased, robberies including those armed and unarmed have increased. Thugs and dealers and people with complete disregard for the law are more and more targeting Morgantown as a place to be. This city is less safe than it has ever been before. Trying to argue this is turning a blind eye to the blatant truth.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Ive noted other people calling you out at times for being pompous and for having an enormous case of tunnel vision and shrugged it off. I must say though, that you seem to care more about being right and arguing at times than in just sharing and benefiting others.

I never said Ive only been here since '98. I said thats when I started college here. Secondly, statistics can be used to show whatever anybody wants them to show. They can be skewed, manipulated, etc. I never argued anything about our crime rate in proportion to other areas or other similar sized cities. I could give a care less about other cities. I never argued the validity of the article or fully supported it. The FACT is, that violent crime is increasing in Morgantown and that the larger we grow, the more we are attracting less desirable elements into this town.

Murders have increased, violent assaults have increased, robberies including those armed and unarmed have increased. Thugs and dealers and people with complete disregard for the law are more and more targeting Morgantown as a place to be. This city is less safe than it has ever been before. Trying to argue this is turning a blind eye to the blatant truth.
Oh, excuse me. I hadn't realized that is what you've been trying to do... "calling me out". In that case, let me give you the most recent statistics available and let you run with those. We have a city that had well over 50,000 people living in it most of the time, and in 2012 we had a whopping 1 murder. Other violent crime actually seems to be declining in spite of the fact that our population is growing... a rather remarkable situation when one would tend to believe that more people = more potential for crime. Here, see for yourself and put what ever spin you want on it. I'm sure the folks who read this column will be smart enough to look at the statistics and decide for themselves. Morgantown's crime statistics can be found here ... //www.city-data.com/city/Morgan...-Virginia.html

Old 04-13-2014, 03:09 AM

No see, my intent was never to call you out but to state reality from the perspective of someone that knows and has experienced. Your comments clearly personally offended me, someone that knows from experience. Frankly, you seem to be wearing rose colored glasses at all times in your estimations and views of Morgantown and are quick to be combative of anyone stating other than complete positive about the town. We get it, you love Morgantown. Fine. Maybe sitting up in your non crime afflicted crime area where things are peachy keen you feel that life is just wonderful. Morgantown is dangerous though. There was more than one murder in 2013-2014. Theres multiple armed robberies. Just saying it isnt as safe as it used to be. That is all.

And i said others have called you out. Now im forced to. You throw statistics and are quick to argue how their wrong in some instances but not in others.

Morgantown HAS GOTTEN WORSE

Old 04-13-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
No see, my intent was never to call you out but to state reality from the perspective of someone that knows and has experienced. Your comments clearly personally offended me, someone that knows from experience. Frankly, you seem to be wearing rose colored glasses at all times in your estimations and views of Morgantown and are quick to be combative of anyone stating other than complete positive about the town. We get it, you love Morgantown. Fine. Maybe sitting up in your non crime afflicted crime area where things are peachy keen you feel that life is just wonderful. Morgantown is dangerous though. There was more than one murder in 2013-2014. Theres multiple armed robberies. Just saying it isnt as safe as it used to be. That is all.

And i said others have called you out. Now im forced to. You throw statistics and are quick to argue how their wrong in some instances but not in others.

Morgantown HAS GOTTEN WORSE
I am sorry you were offended, but you are clearly wrong in your assumptions. The article you quoted is sensationalized... some writer's lame attempt to generate interest by quoting ridiculous numbers. Like I said, if you have one murder a year (which happens to be our average here) and suddenly one year you happen to have two, a writer can doubtless point to a dramatic spike of some sort but the notion is bogus. Here... maybe this will help you come to terms... this is from today's paper-

Article - Area police see drop in some crimes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown