U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2014, 03:37 PM

334 posts, read 437,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
TheDPost.com - City Planning Commission passes VFW site plan

The members voting in the minority were Sam Loretta, Michael Shuman and Carol Pyles.

I would hesitate to label them "enemies of positive growth," despite their opposition, until I understand why they voted the way they did. In any event, on to the BZA!
So thanks to Ken Martis, who switched from a NO to a deciding YES!, and also Bill Kawecki the much needed student housing development is a GO!

But Biafora is not gonna give up. Until Fall 2016 arrives new building intact I'm still not holding my breath.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 07:29 PM

191 posts, read 274,230 times
Im glad it passed. Most of this downtown Morgantown stuff is Politics and Bullsh*t truthfully.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:07 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,283,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorgantownProud View Post
I would consider them "enemies of positive growth". Michael Shuman was Dave Biafora's man on the Commission. There was no doubt that he was going to oppose. At the last meeting every time he said something negative to the developers he would look at Biafora and smile.

Sam Loretta is very closed minded and did not have the decency to watch the last night's presentation fully. What he did watch he shook his head no at. His seat is up for renewal. For the love of this City, someone from the 1st Ward please step up so we can move this City into the future.

Carol Pyles.....does not have a clue about development. If Biafora wasn't in her pocket, I would be surprised.

And for Loretta and Shuman to vote in opposition of the subdivision was asinine. You can NOT turn down a subdivision if it meets the regulations. It is against the law.
We need to get a group together to counter the anti progress contingent both on Council and in the commissions. It is really hard to get Morgantown folks really interested in political matters, but it is high time somebody finds a way to do it.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:07 PM

989 posts, read 2,054,597 times
Very good news...now if only somebody would buy the Warner and develop some of the vacant lots on the same side of town.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MischiefWV View Post
Im glad it passed. Most of this downtown Morgantown stuff is Politics and Bullsh*t truthfully.
That's right, actually. And it involves a dozen or so old guard folks who want to protect their ability to fleece with impunity while providing sub standard services vs. the other 31,000+ "permanent" residents and 25,000 transitory student residents who stand to gain from the improvements. The problem is, that dozen people will put their time and money into trying to maintain the status quo while the rest of us are, in large part, complacent and let them get away with it.

This city is absolutely prime for major development. Every ingredient is in place... great employment situation, wonderful educational opportunities, terrific arts scene, good athletic offerings, proximity to major cities, a relatively young and very well educated population, outstanding recreational venues right out the back door... the city is growing in spite of opposition, but it could grow much better and faster without it. That opposition and the state's lack of support are the major impediments.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:13 PM

9 posts, read 14,876 times
Greater opposition is anticipated at the BZA hearing tomorrow. Your attendance and support letters/emails will be more important than ever. We thank you in advance, and appreciate your efforts!

Old 09-16-2014, 07:59 PM

334 posts, read 437,467 times
So wait even if the planning commission approved the vote the 2nd time around the BZA could reverse the vote? Who are the people on the BZA and do they side with David Biafora? If so, none of it is gonna matter I'm afraid.

Edit: I found the names:

Bernie Bossio, Bill Burton, Leanne Cardoso, George Papandreas and Jim Shaffer

Do ANY on these members have Biafora in their pocket? Do your homework guys and go after this!

Edit #2

This is Leanne Cardoso Twitter's page. Send her a tweet in support of this development https://twitter.com/LeanneCardoso

Edit #3
George Papandreas appears perturbed by the opposition on this development http://thedpost.com/Papandreas--Zoning-pro--cess-mus

Last edited by abwvu1; 09-16-2014 at 08:19 PM..

Old 09-17-2014, 07:36 PM

Okay... an update. The Zoning Appeals Board unanimously approved the project tonight, in spite of Dave Biafora's protests. This is a wonderful development for our city, for Morgantown's veterans, and for WVU.
I also want to say that I understand Biafora's position of wanting to minimize competition. Any businessman would do that, and he has done some awesome things for our area, but his position on this was not in the best interests of our city. My wife and I are VERY happy this project has received final approval. If Biafora and Guiliani file suit, ... which they might, I would anticipate that they will lose. The Board was very careful to approach this in a legal and carefully thought out process, which would be a matter of record.

Tonight was a very good night for the City of Morgantown!

Old 10-16-2014, 12:09 PM

4 posts, read 4,386 times
...bump...

Apparently, no one else on this forum was tuned in watching the BZA at 1:00 this morning; read tomorrow's paper!

Old 10-16-2014, 12:43 PM

273 posts, read 324,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoseOnFirst View Post
...bump...

Apparently, no one else on this forum was tuned in watching the BZA at 1:00 this morning; read tomorrow's paper!
That's a bit vague and uninformitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown