U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 01:11 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,095,834 times

Advertisements

The meeting video is posted online. I haven't watched it, but holy crap. Six and a half hours long!?

I didn't see anything on DPost.com or WBOY, so I assume nothing significant happened.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 02:51 PM

334 posts, read 436,612 times
Did David Biafora take up 6 hours of their time? Seems like a filibuster of some sort.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:04 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,260,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoseOnFirst View Post
...bump...

Apparently, no one else on this forum was tuned in watching the BZA at 1:00 this morning; read tomorrow's paper!
Well, do you have something to say? That isn't telling anybody anything. I'm guessing you mean the approval for a new mixed use building on Stewart Street?

Old 10-16-2014, 09:53 PM

4 posts, read 4,381 times
In short: An administrative appeal brought by Biafore regarding Planning Commission's approval of the CAH-VFW project was taken up by the BZA, overturned and sent back to the Planning Commission for another hearing regarding two issues, specifically DOH approval and whether the project meets what's defined as a Major Development of Significant Impact per city code.

Given proximity of the two sites to one another, I wasn't surprised that the appeal was heard by BZA for Biafore's project to be an aggrieved part but I'm surprised the board believed Biafore's project was severely harmed - in any way other than simple commercial competition - beyond that of the public at large. In my own time in Morgantown (20+ years) I can't recall this situation happening.

So, it seems the project will be up for another round before the Planning Commission.

I just have to wonder - given the very late hour and lengthy agenda before the issue was taken up - whether any BZA members who voted to return it to Planning Commish felt hungover with regret this morning.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:01 AM

354 posts, read 439,972 times
Ridiculous and depressing. It's time for CA to get lawyers involved.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:11 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,095,834 times
TheDPost.com - Central Place LLC claims partial victory with appeal

Partial victory. This doesn't scuttle the project by any means. If CA can get those access permits and work to meet the description of a "major development of significant impact," then there's nothing Biafora can do. He even said something to that effect at the meeting..."whether we like it or not" if can get built if it meets all the proper (in his opinion) requirements.

To me, I can get where Biafora is coming from (not that I agree with him). But one way or another, this is going to get built and all this frivolity will do is cost people a lot of time and money.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:32 AM

They need to change some of the laws and be done with it. Our laws have long been in place to protect the status quo few who control property interests, at the expense of the many. Our population is growing to the point where slumlords are losing their political control. What we really need is some development minded folks to step forward and run for office in the town. I believe most of us are tired of the stranglehold the old guard has on things.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abwvu1 View Post
So wait even if the planning commission approved the vote the 2nd time around the BZA could reverse the vote? Who are the people on the BZA and do they side with David Biafora? If so, none of it is gonna matter I'm afraid.

Edit: I found the names:

Bernie Bossio, Bill Burton, Leanne Cardoso, George Papandreas and Jim Shaffer

Do ANY on these members have Biafora in their pocket? Do your homework guys and go after this!

Edit #2

This is Leanne Cardoso Twitter's page. Send her a tweet in support of this development https://twitter.com/LeanneCardoso

Edit #3
George Papandreas appears perturbed by the opposition on this development TheDPost.com - Papandreas: Zoning process must be fair

Surely looked like Leanne Cardoso was in someone's pocket. Funny how she used to work for Biafora's lawyer. You would have thought she was still working for him.

Papandreas has historically been pro-business.

The City is looking for 2 at large representatives....someone with some sense please apply.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorgantownProud View Post
Surely looked like Leanne Cardoso was in someone's pocket. Funny how she used to work for Biafora's lawyer. You would have thought she was still working for him.

Papandreas has historically been pro-business.

The City is looking for 2 at large representatives....someone with some sense please apply.
2 reps for the Zoning Board, or 2 reps for the Appeals Board?

I got a message from the CA folks... they plan to keep pushing forward with the development.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:10 AM

664 posts, read 925,176 times
Where does this development stand, in terms of progress? Are they still fighting for approval, despite having been awarded that once? I'm confused as to why site prep hasn't started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown