U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 10:10 AM

10,148 posts, read 13,275,710 times

Advertisements

That is good to hear. I wonder if they have addressed the DoH situation? Personally, I think it would improve traffic downtown because fewer vehicles would be driving in and out of town every day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 10:14 AM

664 posts, read 926,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
That is good to hear. I wonder if they have addressed the DoH situation? Personally, I think it would improve traffic downtown because fewer vehicles would be driving in and out of town every day.
I couldn't agree more. Increased density within the urban core is the only way to aid traffic woes. I won't argue against building better streets, but that wouldn't help as much as providing more opportunity to live and shop downtown. If one has a car parked downtown and all of one's needs are available downtown, that person is less likely to take that car out on the streets.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:22 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,098,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
I couldn't agree more. Increased density within the urban core is the only way to aid traffic woes. I won't argue against building better streets, but that wouldn't help as much as providing more opportunity to live and shop downtown. If one has a car parked downtown and all of one's needs are available downtown, that person is less likely to take that car out on the streets.
It's absurd how obvious this is yet we rely on outdated standards requiring parking standards, Level of Service, etc. which cater to the auto-centric decades in which they were drafted. We need new ways of thinking about streets and having them accommodate pedestrian and bicycling access and safety instead of focusing solely on traffic flow.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:28 PM

334 posts, read 437,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAV_Mtown View Post
Project is back on the 3/12/15 Planning Commission agenda.
Get your popcorn ready. David Biafora will strike down furiously once again.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:35 AM

7 posts, read 5,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
It's absurd how obvious this is yet we rely on outdated standards requiring parking standards, Level of Service, etc. which cater to the auto-centric decades in which they were drafted. We need new ways of thinking about streets and having them accommodate pedestrian and bicycling access and safety instead of focusing solely on traffic flow.
Funny you should mention that. Because from what I see this project does not have any wider sidewalks than what are there currently and allows no room for future street expansion. I mean the building is practically hanging over the sidewalk, but they couldn't afford to double the width of the sidewalk or allow for future addition of a bike lane or anything like that?

I'm all for development. But someone mentioned about Biafora disrupting the views of the Mon off of University Ave. but this will obstruct way more than that. It will completely dominate and overshadow the rest of the architecture of the area. I'd be okay if it was a couple stories shorter and had a bit of a setback.

I've seen this model in Brooks Hall's virtual reality cave environment, and believe me it will obstruct more than what it seems. The views of the beautiful architecture and hillside from surrounding areas is completely gone.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:07 AM

664 posts, read 926,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akstout View Post
Funny you should mention that. Because from what I see this project does not have any wider sidewalks than what are there currently and allows no room for future street expansion. I mean the building is practically hanging over the sidewalk, but they couldn't afford to double the width of the sidewalk or allow for future addition of a bike lane or anything like that?

I'm all for development. But someone mentioned about Biafora disrupting the views of the Mon off of University Ave. but this will obstruct way more than that. It will completely dominate and overshadow the rest of the architecture of the area. I'd be okay if it was a couple stories shorter and had a bit of a setback.

I've seen this model in Brooks Hall's virtual reality cave environment, and believe me it will obstruct more than what it seems. The views of the beautiful architecture and hillside from surrounding areas is completely gone.
I respect your opinion -- really -- but can't help myself from the following comment. This particular part of downtown is not that much for views. This building will, if anything, block the view of Arnold Hall from the downtown. Arnold is nothing more than a big brick eyesore. At least this building will contribute to the look of our downtown, which is also more than can be said of the 6-story "great wall" that Biafora is building on the old school site that is located adjacently.

The reason folks complained about Biafora's development on University is that his buildings blocked a vista that viewed out over Westover -- it was quite pretty at night. If you liked the view in part of downtown before, this complaint would have been more useful to make prior to new Biafora development which is equally obtrusive to sight lines.

I agree with the point about making more sidewalk space, but the city hasn't enforced such room in the recent past, and apparently don't feel the need now. It'd be worth making this point at tonight's meeting, if you are going.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akstout View Post

This development is very desirable for downtown Morgantown. It makes good use of a very underutilized space that the current occupants no longer want, removing a blighted building in the process, it brings several hundred more warm bodies living and potentially shopping/eating in the downtown area as opposed to the more outlying areas as do most of the other recent developments, it actually reduces traffic flow because fewer people will have to drive in to go to classes, and in the process the roads and sidewalks are no worse off than currently. It makes perfect sense. It won't obstruct anything more than Biafora's development behind it and the elderly high rise on the next block. It is sheer folly to oppose it.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:11 PM

334 posts, read 437,193 times
CT the only people opposing it is David Biafora, James Guilani, and their few nameless minions.

It is shameful that CA Student Living is being blocked for no reason other than the unapologetic selfishness of some evil people.

WVU could just as easily buy out VFW building and build another U Place/U Park there.

Biafora is not gonna win this battle.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:07 AM

I agree that this location is going to get a major development of some sort built there, and that it is shameful, but at the same time understandable that Biafora opposes it. Remember, he has his business interests to look after and they just don't happen to coincide with the city's best interests. I don't blame him for his opposition, but I certainly hope he is defeated in this attempt to block it.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:35 PM

9 posts, read 14,872 times
Approved 6-3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown