U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2016, 08:29 PM

334 posts, read 439,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
I believe the project extension was passed 4-3. They said they plan to start construction by June if everything goes correctly.
Which likely means an August 2018 completion date. Provided Biafora doesnt keep cckblocking it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 09:21 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,787,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abwvu1 View Post
Which likely means an August 2018 completion date. Provided Biafora doesnt keep cckblocking it.
He was their tonight moaning and complaining along with the church group. Their argument was think about the children (they kept referencing the constant falling of steel beams that will take out children left and right ), it'll hurt our business and how could you ever build a 11-12 story building on that spot because there is no where to put a crane. That last one I guess they have never seen a tall building being built in a tight area like a city, heck even how they built the new hospital building. They also complained it shouldn't have gotten an extension since them not starting yet obviously shows they don't know what they are doing and have no plan of actually building this. When pressed about them suing the developer and that causing the delay, they said the developer should have gone ahead and started building despite the lawsuits. It was very obvious they were grabbing at straws. The funniest moment by far was when Biafora brought up how he highly suspects WVU is behind this entire project (sounded paranoid) and said during the winter the roads and side walks around it will be solid ice every single day because it'll never be able to melt.

If this ends up getting built, it's going to be pretty cool to watch this go up. Will definitely define the skyline in that area.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:22 AM

354 posts, read 443,023 times
What 3 members voted against extending the permit?? I think it was obvious CA suffered undue hardship out of their control.

It's good to hear his ramblings contained nothing of substance, so maybe he has nothing left in the arsenal. I will agree with him, that CA should have started building anyway.

I'm sure they want to wait for better weather, but a lot can happen in 6 months.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
What 3 members voted against extending the permit?? I think it was obvious CA suffered undue hardship out of their control.

It's good to hear his ramblings contained nothing of substance, so maybe he has nothing left in the arsenal. I will agree with him, that CA should have started building anyway.

I'm sure they want to wait for better weather, but a lot can happen in 6 months.

From what I understand the 3 that voted against it last time voted against it again.

Also, CA explained that their lender refused to loan the money for the whole project until the court decided and now that the court decided, the lender is giving them the money and they have the property under contract to purchase.

I think they are waiting until June to finish the purchase of the land, finalize the construction plans, get things in order and probably to avoid initial construction when students are here. But I agree, I wish they would start ASAP, such as January 2nd.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:31 AM

124 posts, read 134,283 times
I'm sure Giulani will try and stop it again

Old 12-11-2016, 03:20 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,332,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog72 View Post
I'm sure Giulani will try and stop it again
He has pretty much exhausted his options. They (Giuliani, Biafora, and the Church) knew all along that the best they could hope for was to delay the project, and they accomplished that. The veterans are thrilled this got the green light and is moving forward. The current VFW facility is too large (it was built after World War 2 when there were a LOT more veterans) and antiquated. They want a new, more modern and appropriate facility that uses fewer utilities and is more comfortable to use. This is a win-win. The city gets a new facility that will help keep more folks living downtown near the Downtown Campus, and the veterans will get a new, modern facility for their purposes.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:53 AM

75 posts, read 79,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
He was their tonight moaning and complaining along with the church group. Their argument was think about the children (they kept referencing the constant falling of steel beams that will take out children left and right ), it'll hurt our business and how could you ever build a 11-12 story building on that spot because there is no where to put a crane. That last one I guess they have never seen a tall building being built in a tight area like a city, heck even how they built the new hospital building. They also complained it shouldn't have gotten an extension since them not starting yet obviously shows they don't know what they are doing and have no plan of actually building this. When pressed about them suing the developer and that causing the delay, they said the developer should have gone ahead and started building despite the lawsuits. It was very obvious they were grabbing at straws. The funniest moment by far was when Biafora brought up how he highly suspects WVU is behind this entire project (sounded paranoid) and said during the winter the roads and side walks around it will be solid ice every single day because it'll never be able to melt.

If this ends up getting built, it's going to be pretty cool to watch this go up. Will definitely define the skyline in that area.
Yes, that angle of attack on the project is very weak. They also talked in the past about how you could not have a construction staging area on the site.

Well, in tight quarters, you have to deliver the materials and build as you go. Requires a project manager that stays on top of timelines, since you can't just store materials wherever.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:58 PM

Sigh......

The Dominion Post - www.dominionpost.com

Biafora, for the betterment of a the entire area please go stick your head in the sand around the buildings you own in Florida.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:21 AM

334 posts, read 439,494 times
And Biafora cckblocks it for the 47th time. Dammit!

Old 01-14-2017, 10:51 PM

273 posts, read 326,748 times
"The approval was without Campus Acquisition providing justification for the extension..."

Really? The Dominion Post couldn't figure out the justification for the extension? Great reporting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown