U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 10:45 AM

354 posts, read 440,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
Here's the link to the proposal to the City: morgantownwv.gov/wp-content/uploads/S14-01-III_CA-Living_494-Spruce-Street.pdf

And for those just wanting to see what it may look like...
Hmmm....Definitely not the most modern and creative design I've ever seen, but in a downtown mostly filled with older structure, less can be more.

I think what this building brings to the location, considering what it's replacing, is more important than aesthetics.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 11:30 AM

334 posts, read 437,298 times
Reading the entire Dom Post article we see at the end of the article David Biafora's potential last stand.

He is just a total scumbag. I hope the city pays him no mind when this goes through.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:41 AM

10,148 posts, read 13,278,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EerWax View Post
Agree that it's good for the city. Especially one that is looking to increase its downtown population and foot traffic. Plus more retail space will bring in more B&O ..... Sheetz anyone? LOL
The new Sheetz will be down on U. Ave., and actually it likely will provide major tax income. In my opinion, the most important thing is to preserve the character of High Street. Developments like this on other streets can only help, even if they are large in scale. They will help keep High Street bustling.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
Hmmm....Definitely not the most modern and creative design I've ever seen, but in a downtown mostly filled with older structure, less can be more.

I think what this building brings to the location, considering what it's replacing, is more important than aesthetics.
I'm a veteran. You have to remember, the current facility was built following WW2. Morgantown was a very different city then. Also, the number of veterans is far fewer now than it was then due to demographics and the fact that millions more were involved during WW2 than anything later. The VFW does not need a facility that size any longer, and it doesn't need to have a facility located on prime commercial property. They aren't trying to sell anything, and they will be much better off taking the money from their prime piece of real estate and investing it someplace else, where they can take the proceeds from the sale and invest it in a smaller, state of the art facility that is more up to date and cheaper to maintain, and lower cost in terms of utilities and the like.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abwvu1 View Post
Reading the entire Dom Post article we see at the end of the article David Biafora's potential last stand.

He is just a total scumbag. I hope the city pays him no mind when this goes through.
I don't see it. What does it say?

Old 05-06-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I don't see it. What does it say?
Basically crying about how there's gonna be 368 people in 26,000 sq feet of land. Then bullying the city to wake up or he's gonna fight it to the bitter end. Then thumping his flat chest over how he's never lost to the city.

What an A-Hole.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Basically crying about how there's gonna be 368 people in 26,000 sq feet of land. Then bullying the city to wake up or he's gonna fight it to the bitter end. Then thumping his flat chest over how he's never lost to the city.

What an A-Hole.
I disagree with him, and hope he doesn't win out here but he is not an A-Hole. He is a businessman trying to protect his interests. He is heavily invested in property, and the truth is his properties are much better maintained than most. He will be a loser if these developments continue. Unfortunately, lose he will, and it is a price of progress, but you can't blame him for trying.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:31 PM

CT any person that hinders progress (social, economic, technology, etc.) for their own selfish gains is an ahole in my book.

As I stated earlier in this thread he is bullying the city to get what he wants. I like the Suncrest Towne Center. I like what he's doing to Fort Pierpont near Glenmark Center. Retail wise he's good at what he does. Residential OTOH..... I dislike Metro. I dislike how he's blocked the view of the Mon River coming into the city on University Ave. That you have to pay high dollar in one of his apartment to see that view now. I especially dislike how he has threatened and intimated every person in this city to get what he wants. That's what I really have a problem with. If the Chicago developer has the collateral to get it built then by God almighty let him!

Old 05-06-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
CT any person that hinders progress (social, economic, technology, etc.) for their own selfish gains is an ahole in my book.
Agree with this!

I would also add he's an Ahole for constructing bland, cheap looking, complexes all over the place. I suppose greed and getting your way makes you lose sight of the future generations who are stuck living with his decisions. Funny, it takes an out of state firm to plan something lasting and worthy of a location.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:16 PM

664 posts, read 926,781 times
Quote:
Agree with this!

I would also add he's an Ahole for constructing bland, cheap looking, complexes all over the place. I suppose greed and getting your way makes you lose sight of the future generations who are stuck living with his decisions. Funny, it takes an out of state firm to plan something lasting and worthy of a location.
I second this opinion. It's a shame, but Biafore builds ugly work and double shame on him for obstructing that view of the Mon. It was beautiful and now it is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown