U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 08:10 PM

235 posts, read 270,493 times

Advertisements

Maybe Biafore should partner with Sheetz!! I mean..Sheetz aren't eyesores at all....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 10:16 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,266,559 times
His developments are not all eyesores. Suncrest is outstanding in many respects. Pierpont is nice too.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:13 PM

235 posts, read 270,493 times
CT - was talking more about the Sheetz moreso than big Dave. Nothing can be more of an eyesore than the monstrosity. Of town homes Dan Ryan is going to drop across from the STC. More transient housing on a formally beautiful hillside... on the busiest stretch of road in the area? Approved!

Old 05-08-2014, 07:31 AM

We have to face the facts. We literally can't have everything. This area is primed for continued growth... conservatively projected to be 20% over the next 10 years. Unlike other, less fortunate areas in the state, the ingredients are here that make that growth inevitable. Also unlike those areas, we do not have limitless space for expansion because unlike them we have not lost masses of population and our geographic confines are much more restricted in the first place. That growth has to go someplace, and it is going to go where there is available space in town, or it will happen outside of city limits.

If the growth happens outside of city limits, it will have minimal effect on the city's tax base. The way I see it, we have a lot of underutilized space here (the VFW is an example there... the area on University Ave. where the Sheetz is going in and near there is another). Not everything that goes in will be done with an eye to beautification. In my opinion, rather than getting up in arms about an inevitable Sheetz, we should be getting on City Council to get rid of the hideous sewage pumping station down by Deckers Creek, pushing them to take a tougher stance on dilapidated properties (the new developments will make more efficient use of space and replace the lost beds there) and pushing for infrastructure and park system improvements.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:54 AM

124 posts, read 133,592 times
According to the paper this morning, it sounds like the new 11-story building is not going to happen. Only one person spoke in favor of it. I'm sure someone else will propose something different for the site.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog72 View Post
According to the paper this morning, it sounds like the new 11-story building is not going to happen. Only one person spoke in favor of it. I'm sure someone else will propose something different for the site.
The out of state developer is at a decided disadvantage, and he is facing orchestrated opposition while not having the local resources to match it. His idea is a great one, but it is being derailed, in part because our council is dominated by those influenced by local real estate interests. The real benefit to the community and The University is not the determining factor here. The effects on local competition predominate.

Biafora has a lot of influence due to his money. Of course, he doesn't like competition when he isn't the one providing it. At the same time, he has shown a readiness to take his development outside of the city limits when it suits his purpose. He has less control over the actions of others there, but he can orchestrate things much better within the confines of a council room. Note that a lot of the opposition came from his church partners in the neighboring housing development.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:00 AM

334 posts, read 436,837 times
Rot in hell David Biafora.

Just frustrating.

I mean sure the vote can still be put up in June but I can't see it happening now. What purpose does downtown Morgantown serve with an old VFW building compared to an 11 story building practically next door to the university?

Old 05-09-2014, 08:42 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,096,881 times
I mean, if anyone is in favor of the development, go down to the Planning Department and give a positive comment. Heck, even an email is fine. Just because Biafora rounded up 10-15 people in opposition, it doesn't mean the project is dead.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
I mean, if anyone is in favor of the development, go down to the Planning Department and give a positive comment. Heck, even an email is fine. Just because Biafora rounded up 10-15 people in opposition, it doesn't mean the project is dead.
Although I understand Biafora's opposition, and don't think he is a bad guy per se, I do not support his stand on this matter.

Actually, I am in favor of this project and certainly would comment. Do you happen to have a link for the Planning Commission?

Old 05-09-2014, 10:13 AM

664 posts, read 925,797 times
How many beds at his church project? and how many parking spaces? It is certainly not a 1:1 ratio, nor would I appreciate a 1:1 ratio in a town that is choked with traffic at times. Such limited parking projects are the only way to reduce the vehicle-load on our roads... and this limited parking should not be frowned upon. I'm writing a letter to the DP, I hope those of you who would like to see this project get a fair shake do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown