U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 12:21 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,102,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Although I understand Biafora's opposition, and don't think he is a bad guy per se, I do not support his stand on this matter.

Actually, I am in favor of this project and certainly would comment. Do you happen to have a link for the Planning Commission?
Not at the moment, but you can go to the City website and find it there. The office is in the City Building on Spruce if you wanted to go in person. Apart from the actual meeting, they said opinion was about 50/50.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 12:14 AM

10,148 posts, read 13,300,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
Not at the moment, but you can go to the City website and find it there. The office is in the City Building on Spruce if you wanted to go in person. Apart from the actual meeting, they said opinion was about 50/50.
We're writing a letter to this address...

City of Morgantown
Planning Commission
Development Services Department
Third Floor, Office 14
City Hall
389 Spruce Street
Morgantown, WV 26505

Old 05-10-2014, 08:35 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,102,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
We're writing a letter to this address...

City of Morgantown
Planning Commission
Development Services Department
Third Floor, Office 14
City Hall
389 Spruce Street
Morgantown, WV 26505
That's the one!

Old 05-10-2014, 04:44 PM

334 posts, read 438,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
I'm writing a letter to the DP, I hope those of you who would like to see this project get a fair shake do the same.
Good Luck. Make sure it features all non-liberal talking points, that it's anti-Obama, anti-WVU, anti-Luck, anti-Huggs or it will not be printed. Don't mean to be a wise arse but in reading those letters to the DP editor on occasion (some of which make me want to puke) that's all it ever seems to contain.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abwvu1 View Post
Good Luck. Make sure it features all non-liberal talking points, that it's anti-Obama, anti-WVU, anti-Luck, anti-Huggs or it will not be printed. Don't mean to be a wise arse but in reading those letters to the DP editor on occasion (some of which make me want to puke) that's all it ever seems to contain.
I wrote a letter to the Planning Commission. If you write a letter, make sure you are respectful of everyone involved with this and state logical points... students spending money in the downtown area rather than outlying areas, etc.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:35 AM

WAJR.com - Objections To New Student Housing Not Valid Says Developer

Further confirming how big of joke David Biafora's concerns are making it out to be.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:41 AM

664 posts, read 928,721 times
I watched the Guiliani and Biafore complain at the planning commission meeting (via the public access channel on cable). Guiliani claimed that this project would prevent people from Woodburn from getting downtown due to increased traffic. Interestingly, Biafore then claimed it was not right that this development have a ratio of 1 parking space:3 beds. These guys can't have it both ways -- too much traffic - forget that the site doesn't allow for very many additional cars in the downtown. Furthermore, the CA Living project consultant defended their parking situation, stating that they are providing parking to cover 34% of their beds, whereas Biafore's adjacent apartment building has 36% parking capacity -- BIG difference, hm...

Lastly, the last thing this town needs is more vehicles. I hate to break it to some folks, but if you charge extra for parking and force people to park off-site, a good number are simply going choose to live elsewhere or leave their cars at home when they come to Morgantown. You can't solve this town's traffic problem by asking every developer to include enough parking spots for every bed in every apartment building.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:01 PM

One of the many ways to solve the Parking Problems would be to set up Park n Ride and have a shuttle bus take them where they need to go.

Mountaineer Mall, Morgantown Mall, Glenmark Center, University Town Centre. All seem very ideal places to have it all set up there. Look how successful these Gameday shuttles are at Mountaineer Mall. It needs to happen whenever school is in session Monday thru Friday.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,088 times
Neighborhoods complain that students are taking over the single family houses. This is a chance to get students closer to campus.

Anyone that would like to see this kind of responsible development, please send an email of support to the following:

Chris Fletcher:cfletcher@cityofmorgantown.org or Stacy Hollar: shollar@cityofmorgantown.org (304-284-7431)

You can also contact the developer or project manager.

This issue will go before the Planning Commission on June 12th and the Board of Zoning Appeals on June 18th. Your support is needed in person, call, or email.

It looks like the only opposition that actually lives in City limits is James Giuliani, which does not own any property within the notification area.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingMorgantown View Post
Neighborhoods complain that students are taking over the single family houses. This is a chance to get students closer to campus.

Anyone that would like to see this kind of responsible development, please send an email of support to the following:

Chris Fletcher:cfletcher@cityofmorgantown.org or Stacy Hollar: shollar@cityofmorgantown.org (304-284-7431)

You can also contact the developer or project manager.

This issue will go before the Planning Commission on June 12th and the Board of Zoning Appeals on June 18th. Your support is needed in person, call, or email.

It looks like the only opposition that actually lives in City limits is James Giuliani, which does not own any property within the notification area.
I agree with this. My wife and I wrote a letter and mailed it to the planning commission via the city development office. I hope that suffices.

I am in favor of any responsible development in our area, including that outside the city limits which is why I appreciate what Biafora has done here. At the same time, my preference is to have as much of the development as possible take place within the city when it comes to student housing and the like. It is important to keep our downtown thriving and viable, and putting student housing outside and bussing them in for classes doesn't do that as much as having it near the downtown area.

We have to be realistic here. One can not blame The University for promoting nice, new student housing developments because they must compete with peer national institutions located where such housing is plentiful, and our diminishing student slums are notorious and an embarrassment for the school as well as to the rest of the city that is not part of the politically connected slum lord clique. Guliani is actually a pretty responsible landlord in terms of property maintenance, but he is in the minority for those old line guys. Replacing the student slums with new, upscale housing will benefit the city, local property owners in terms of holding value, and The University itself. Competition is actually a good thing, and it helps hold costs down while promoting better services. Biafora understands that, but he is trying to maximize his personal benefit as a businessman. I don't blame him, but his position on this matter is not in the best interests of most of us.

One other thing... the traffic issue. In my opinion, having as much housing located downtown as possible will actually reduce traffic concerns. There will be fewer students driving to class and so forth. The real issue is not traffic congestion, as the opponents have suggested. It is parking. Providing parking for 34% of the beds should be adequate. Many students do not have cars at school, and if parking allocations fill up, those with cars will simply seek housing elsewhere leaving more of the beds available for those without cars. You're not going to have many students with cars choosing to live there if parking spaces aren't available for their vehicles.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 05-25-2014 at 02:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown