U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 10:09 AM

334 posts, read 437,065 times

Advertisements

FWIW here's the link to the petition

New Modern Housing Next to Campus for WVU Students! - PetitionBuzz
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 04:31 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,273,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abwvu1 View Post
Since I'm not a student, I can't sign it but I would urge anybody who is a student to do so.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,316 times
All -

This development would be fantastic for our city! Unfortunately, there are some community members that oppose the development for personal reasons. All those who are in favor of improving downtown Morgantown need to do everything in their power to get their voices heard!

There is a petition online that is available for anyone to sign including students and community members.

Petition Link: New Modern Housing Next to Campus for WVU Students! - PetitionBuzz

This project will help our goal of improving downtown Morgantown and also provide new, safe and convenient housing for WVU students.

I have been informed that this project will have high end amenities along with retail space on the first floor. Writing letters to the Planning Commission is a great start, but showing up on June 12th at the hearing would have a bigger impact.

Send letters to:
Planning Commission
Development Services Department
Third Floor, Office 14
City Hall
389 Spruce Street
Morgantown, WV 26505

Members of the opposition continue to bring up the parking situation at the building. I have heard that the ratio of parking spaces to beds will be around 30%. Having students live downtown will decrease the amount of students driving into the city on a daily basis, hence decrease traffic in the downtown area.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:37 AM

354 posts, read 440,477 times
Bump....send your letters!

Old 06-09-2014, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 4,084 times
This project is going to back to the Planning Commission this Thursday, June 12th at 6:30 PM in Council Chambers. If you are for responsible development, please speak in favor of this development.

If you haven't looked at their other projects, I encourage you to check out the link below.
CA Ventures

Old 06-13-2014, 11:45 AM

We absolutely have to start voting in pro development city council members rather than the protectionist status quo folks who have dominated things here politically, and who favor the slum lords and oppose progress. This "Morgantown Forward" group is the worst ever, as far as I can tell. One of that group ... Kawecki, didn't even bother to show up last night.

I'm wondering if WVU can enter into a public/private partnership with this company to get this thing built and somehow bypass these clowns. They had a chance to get 3% of the student population located right next to the downtown, and are now forcing the development outside of city limits as usual, reducing trade for downtown merchants and actually making traffic worse because folks who once could walk places downtown will not be driving instead. The slum lords days are numbered in any case. The University has decided it needs to push them out to get good housing options for students, and they will do so in any event. The real losers are the merchants in downtown Morgantown, and the city's citizens.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 06-13-2014 at 11:59 AM..

Old 06-14-2014, 12:26 AM

235 posts, read 260,686 times
So this building isn't being constructed anymore?! Blasphemous!

Old 06-14-2014, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvu2016 View Post
So this building isn't being constructed anymore?! Blasphemous!
Instead of just complaining about it, don't you think it's time for WVU students to put on a concerted effort for voter registration and help vote the slum lord contingent out of office. Everyone has a vested interest in cleaning up our student housing and making quality, affordable student housing the norm.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:58 AM

I'm all for voting, but is it official that this building will not be constructed?

Old 06-14-2014, 10:59 AM

Just signed the petition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown