U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-15-2014, 01:42 PM
 
334 posts, read 439,361 times
Reputation: 146

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvu2016 View Post
I'm all for voting, but is it official that this building will not be constructed?
For the most part yes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-16-2014, 09:16 AM
 
334 posts, read 439,361 times
Reputation: 146
Not so fast. There's still hope.

TheDPost.com - Planning commission decision could be appealed
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2014, 01:11 PM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,328,628 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by abwvu1 View Post
Here's hoping they do it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2014, 08:09 PM
 
354 posts, read 442,880 times
Reputation: 159
They definitely need to appeal. I would gladly chip in for the greater good.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2014, 07:14 AM
 
334 posts, read 439,361 times
Reputation: 146
Downtown apartment complex denied - The Daily Athenaeum Online: News

Keep in mind during the summer session the DA publishes once a week.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2014, 02:21 PM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,328,628 times
Reputation: 1782
The developer made one mistake. He didn't put enough pressure on the board to approve, and failed to match the detractors in that regard. The vested interests and their Presbyterian allies stacked the deck at the meetings with vocal opposition. It represented a very small part of the community as a whole, but it was basically the only voice being put forth. If the developer, and the VFW had put on a couple full page ads in the local newspaper touting the obvious benefits of the project, and some ads on radio and television, he could have easily out muscled the opponents in the court of public opinion. He failed to do that. In comparison with the scope of the project, the cost would have been minimal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2014, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Elkins, WV
1,981 posts, read 5,568,272 times
Reputation: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
The developer made one mistake. He didn't put enough pressure on the board to approve, and failed to match the detractors in that regard. The vested interests and their Presbyterian allies stacked the deck at the meetings with vocal opposition. It represented a very small part of the community as a whole, but it was basically the only voice being put forth. If the developer, and the VFW had put on a couple full page ads in the local newspaper touting the obvious benefits of the project, and some ads on radio and television, he could have easily out muscled the opponents in the court of public opinion. He failed to do that. In comparison with the scope of the project, the cost would have been minimal.
Why would anyone be opposed to development? Are more jobs and a greater tax base not needed? Hopefully the developer can rally some support to see this project come to fruition. Morgantown needs some taller buildings to build a better skyline.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2014, 06:57 PM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,328,628 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Why would anyone be opposed to development? Are more jobs and a greater tax base not needed? Hopefully the developer can rally some support to see this project come to fruition. Morgantown needs some taller buildings to build a better skyline.
The skyline is not the issue at all. In fact, folks around here see tall skylines as a negative, like they do in Washington, DC. That is part of the issue. But there are real positives with this project, and I hope they can bring it off. There is so much development going on around here right now it would not make a huge impact one way or the other like it would in a lot of places. But this particular development would put 3% of the current student body right in the downtown area, and being just a block from High Street; that is a definite positive. It is also close to the Main Campus and would actually help with traffic congestion by reducing driving. It would also offer unparalleled amenities including a swimming pool and party area on the top floor. There are several awesome student housing venues in the Morgantown area, but this would be near the top of the list. The old guard is opposed because they can't compete with the new developments. In my view, it is time for them to hang it up and move on to other endeavors.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2014, 08:52 PM
 
334 posts, read 439,361 times
Reputation: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
The developer made one mistake. He didn't put enough pressure on the board to approve, and failed to match the detractors in that regard. The vested interests and their Presbyterian allies stacked the deck at the meetings with vocal opposition. It represented a very small part of the community as a whole, but it was basically the only voice being put forth. If the developer, and the VFW had put on a couple full page ads in the local newspaper touting the obvious benefits of the project, and some ads on radio and television, he could have easily out muscled the opponents in the court of public opinion. He failed to do that. In comparison with the scope of the project, the cost would have been minimal.
I really don't think the Dominion Post would've put that ad on there even if they paid. Remember this is run by the Raese clan. Who are anti-progressive. Who are for free enterprise as long as it works for THEM.

The developer walked in to a hornet's nest to begin with. He really though he could come in and get what is asked. He failed to do his homework regarding past developers who tried and failed to do the same thing.

Compared to Ann Arbor, Tucson, Seattle, and other big city college towns as long as the closed minded locals/businessmen raise their voice when they feel threatened using Dom Post/WAJR as their soundboard nothing will ever get accomplished in the city of Morgantown.

And this is why WVU made their power moves (i.e University Place, University Park) to do it themselves.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2014, 09:46 PM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,328,628 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by abwvu1 View Post
I really don't think the Dominion Post would've put that ad on there even if they paid. Remember this is run by the Raese clan. Who are anti-progressive. Who are for free enterprise as long as it works for THEM.

The developer walked in to a hornet's nest to begin with. He really though he could come in and get what is asked. He failed to do his homework regarding past developers who tried and failed to do the same thing.

Compared to Ann Arbor, Tucson, Seattle, and other big city college towns as long as the closed minded locals/businessmen raise their voice when they feel threatened using Dom Post/WAJR as their soundboard nothing will ever get accomplished in the city of Morgantown.

And this is why WVU made their power moves (i.e University Place, University Park) to do it themselves.
Oh, I think Raese would have run the ad. He is not anti-progressive as you put it. He is a capitalist who will sell to whoever will pay him. He would run the ad for Giuliani too for that matter. I do not like the term "progressive". It denotes something which to me means propaganda, social engineering, political correctness, and all the other garbage that detracts people from the facts of what is really going on with the 1% who actually use their money, control of the media, and control of the education system to move the sheeple in whichever direction suits their desires. This isn't about "progressive". It is about progress and common sense. It is just common sense to build this project. That corner serves basically no useful purpose now. The VFW wants to get rid of it. This would be a great use for that corner.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top