U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-25-2014, 11:23 AM
 
124 posts, read 133,795 times
Reputation: 63

Advertisements

I think CT is right. Raese would probably run any ad he can get money for. Speaking of Raese, the front page article today says WVU is seeking an order from a judge to prohibit him from buying ads in his own paper. Raese has been running full page ads criticizing WVU and Oliver Luck. WVU also wants the Greer attorney investigated for ethics and bar violations. I can't believe all of this bad blood is over the media rights and some scoreboard contract from years ago. There is obviously something else going on. In other news, the city of Morgantown is considering banning the gravel trucks from the downtown area. Raese won't be happy about that either. I'm pretty sure he owns most of the gravel and asphalt companies. These are interesting times for sure.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2014, 11:59 PM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,283,196 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog72 View Post
I think CT is right. Raese would probably run any ad he can get money for. Speaking of Raese, the front page article today says WVU is seeking an order from a judge to prohibit him from buying ads in his own paper. Raese has been running full page ads criticizing WVU and Oliver Luck. WVU also wants the Greer attorney investigated for ethics and bar violations. I can't believe all of this bad blood is over the media rights and some scoreboard contract from years ago. There is obviously something else going on. In other news, the city of Morgantown is considering banning the gravel trucks from the downtown area. Raese won't be happy about that either. I'm pretty sure he owns most of the gravel and asphalt companies. These are interesting times for sure.
Raese is not criticizing WVU. He carefully avoids doing that. He did criticize the former President (there is some speculation that caused him to resign and move on), and he is critical of Luck and the Board of Governors, not of the school. He has never criticized the school ... only people running it and the athletic program. His reporters report quite objectively on University events including sporting events. His beef is not with the school. It is with particular individuals. Raese has not criticized the current President, and he has a history of good relations with him from previous dealings. He has written a letter to him, but he has not criticized him. There is hope that E. Gordon Gee can heal this rift and help resolve the issues.

If the city enacts a ban (and I don't believe they will at this point), unless they can come up with a suitable alternative that satisfies Raese, you can expect his legion of lawyers to be right there in the court house. He has shown that he is not opposed to using the courts to get his say, and he can certainly afford to do so.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 01:23 PM
 
664 posts, read 927,192 times
Reputation: 328
FYI, the CA living building is back on the Planning Commission's agenda for July (the meeting is this coming Thursday, I believe), but it's not clear if they've made any changes to the plan or are simply appealing the original decision.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 01:43 PM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,283,196 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
FYI, the CA living building is back on the Planning Commission's agenda for July (the meeting is this coming Thursday, I believe), but it's not clear if they've made any changes to the plan or are simply appealing the original decision.
This building just make so much sense I can't see how it will not eventually be built. I'm thinking if they build a small parking garage to go with it they would handle any credible objections. I have nothing against the Presbyterians or Biafora, but I believe they are grossly over reacting on this one. I do not for a minute believe this building will be in direct competition with their faith based housing. Giuliani, on the other hand, has some concerns, but his property is well maintained for the most part and I believe he will still be competitive. It is the slum lords that will lose the tenants, and that is long overdue. We need to rid our city of the crappy housing and replace it with anything at all that is constructive. Some green space would be just fine too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 04:20 PM
 
235 posts, read 271,285 times
Reputation: 110
Will be there....with bells on.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 07:38 AM
 
334 posts, read 437,467 times
Reputation: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
FYI, the CA living building is back on the Planning Commission's agenda for July (the meeting is this coming Thursday, I believe), but it's not clear if they've made any changes to the plan or are simply appealing the original decision.
I assume they are appealing. Why deviate from the original plan?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 04:12 PM
 
1,642 posts, read 2,099,883 times
Reputation: 450
Looking at the revised documents, it doesn't appear they changed the project, just added a bunch of supporting material and justification. They did their homework. We'll see of it's enough.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 04:41 PM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,283,196 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
Looking at the revised documents, it doesn't appear they changed the project, just added a bunch of supporting material and justification. They did their homework. We'll see of it's enough.
They aren't doing this right. They need to win the public relations war. That means some modest expenditures for full page newspaper ads touting the obvious benefits, and some ads on local radio. That way they can put the commission on the defensive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2014, 07:52 AM
 
664 posts, read 927,192 times
Reputation: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
They aren't doing this right. They need to win the public relations war. That means some modest expenditures for full page newspaper ads touting the obvious benefits, and some ads on local radio. That way they can put the commission on the defensive.
I'm sure the ads wouldn't hurt, but they really need to be discussing their project with the daycare next door. The church has a great point -- their playground is directly adjacent to the VFW property and is therefore located directly under the windows of this building. The developer needs to ensure the church that this building will be designed in such a way that no fool could open windows, at least not on that side of the building, to launch anything down into that playground. If the playground becomes unsafe/unusable, then the daycare center loses its accreditation. That is the primary reason that the church is concerned about this new structure. Additionally, the pool area will need to be fully screened in to prevent the same issues. The developer could end this opposition easily, but they evidently feel that they are above politicking. Too bad, given how much they've spent preparing these plans.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2014, 11:00 AM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,283,196 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
I'm sure the ads wouldn't hurt, but they really need to be discussing their project with the daycare next door. The church has a great point -- their playground is directly adjacent to the VFW property and is therefore located directly under the windows of this building. The developer needs to ensure the church that this building will be designed in such a way that no fool could open windows, at least not on that side of the building, to launch anything down into that playground. If the playground becomes unsafe/unusable, then the daycare center loses its accreditation. That is the primary reason that the church is concerned about this new structure. Additionally, the pool area will need to be fully screened in to prevent the same issues. The developer could end this opposition easily, but they evidently feel that they are above politicking. Too bad, given how much they've spent preparing these plans.
They wouldn't have to not have any windows opening on that side, only the windows on floors 3 and up. They could allow for access on the lower floors and commercial operations without any danger to people on the playground, and even that could be fenced off from the playground area easily. I believe those issues could be addressed without much trouble.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top