Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 07:24 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,483 times

Advertisements

There's one huge difference between the Riverview building and this one. The city had much more influence on the former one because they were helping to finance it. This new development is privately financed with no city funds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 09:28 AM

491 posts, read 610,472 times
They are only complaining about it because it conflicts with their interests. With the palaces being built in Evansdale and Sunnyside, less students will move into the already built complexes and slum houses around town. IMO, it would be a frivolous suit if they bring one. Free market.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:12 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Hopefully this gets built. Is this connected to the University, student housing or just a regular mid rise for anyone that can afford to live there? I wasn't clear from the PDF.

I would like to see this type of construction out in Hampton Roads. Here its just a lot of small mid rise apartment complexes, like 4 to 6 stories. I know construction is different there, because of the topography and this is a flood zone but it would be nice to see something different for a change.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:52 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Hopefully this gets built. Is this connected to the University, student housing or just a regular mid rise for anyone that can afford to live there? I wasn't clear from the PDF.

I would like to see this type of construction out in Hampton Roads. Here its just a lot of small mid rise apartment complexes, like 4 to 6 stories. I know construction is different there, because of the topography and this is a flood zone but it would be nice to see something different for a change.
This will be privately owned and not a flood zone. It's actually about 80 feet above the water level of Deckers Creek and the Mon River - as is much of the downtown.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:35 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam36 View Post
This will be privately owned and not a flood zone. It's actually about 80 feet above the water level of Deckers Creek and the Mon River - as is much of the downtown.
No Hampton Roads is the metro in the flood zone. I must not have made that clear from my post. Its all flat here and prone to flooding, the elevation here is only 7 feet. The tallest building in Norfolk is 26 floors, tallest building in the metro is 38 floors, but the elevation is a lot higher there, and it is not prone to flooding. That was my observation.

West Virginia actually has the potential to build a lot higher than Southeastern Virginia, because of the topography. Density also tends to be greater when cities are surrounded by hills/mountains than one would assume until they saw it for themselves.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:06 PM

273 posts, read 382,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
No Hampton Roads is the metro in the flood zone. I must not have made that clear from my post. Its all flat here and prone to flooding, the elevation here is only 7 feet. The tallest building in Norfolk is 26 floors, tallest building in the metro is 38 floors, but the elevation is a lot higher there, and it is not prone to flooding. That was my observation.

West Virginia actually has the potential to build a lot higher than Southeastern Virginia, because of the topography. Density also tends to be greater when cities are surrounded by hills/mountains than one would assume until they saw it for themselves.
You're absolutely right. The problem in Hampton Roads (and many costal communities, is that to build higher, you also have to build deeper. Taller buildings require deeper footers and the water in those areas can be prohibitive.

I think this development is a good move. We'll see how it pans out.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:14 AM

334 posts, read 495,932 times
It has finally reached the Dominion Post

TheDPost.com - Permits sought for 11-story apartment complex

BEN CONLEY
TheDPost.com
MORGANTOWN — Chicago-based CA Student Living is seeking approval to build an 11-story building consisting of 92 four-bedroom apartments, three connected parking decks and 3,237 square-feet of retail space at the corner of Spruce and Willey streets — the site of VFW Post 548.

CA Student Living will ask to combine two parcels — the VFW site and the attached parking lot — to come up with a total of 27,459 square-feet, about two-thirds of an acre. The footprint of the proposed 11-story structure is 23,763 square-feet according a Planning and Zoning Code Conformity Report.

In order to move forward, the project needs approval from the Morgantown Planning Commission, which meets Thursday, and the Morgantown Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA), scheduled to meet May 21. Both meetings begin at 6:30 p.m. in City Hall’s council chambers.

If you guys want this done I highly suggest being there.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:28 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,483 times
Here's the link to the proposal to the City: morgantownwv.gov/wp-content/uploads/S14-01-III_CA-Living_494-Spruce-Street.pdf

And for those just wanting to see what it may look like...

Old 05-06-2014, 08:04 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
This will be a major benefit for the downtown area, given that much of the student housing development has been outside city limits in recent years. This will keep hundreds of students living, shopping, and eating downtown, which easily benefits the city.

I can understand Guiliani's opposition, since the new competition will understandably not be good for his particular business interests, but that's the nature of free enterprise. Somebody comes a long with a better idea and you have to adapt, adjust, or lose. This is definitely good for the city overall, and will pressure some of the slumlords out of business. Guiliani's properties don't fall into that category for the most part, and his business will survive but he will need to drop his prices to compete. Bad for him, but good for the students and the city.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:33 AM

491 posts, read 610,472 times
Agree that it's good for the city. Especially one that is looking to increase its downtown population and foot traffic. Plus more retail space will bring in more B&O ..... Sheetz anyone? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown