U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 09:51 PM

18 posts, read 22,106 times

Advertisements

round two up for tomorrow nite....more "entertainment" for the masses!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 01:52 AM

10,148 posts, read 13,290,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MischiefWV View Post
yeah, screw the Sheetz
Really? What would you do with that building that takes up a half block, sits empty, is decaying and paying no taxes? Just curious.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:28 AM

334 posts, read 437,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reecsh View Post
round two up for tomorrow nite....more "entertainment" for the masses!
The ones supporting the student housing better show up. Put Biafora in his place. I'll be glad to see that pr!ck take his big shiny ball and go elsewhere.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:07 PM

6 posts, read 6,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Really? What would you do with that building that takes up a half block, sits empty, is decaying and paying no taxes? Just curious.
The car dealership building is already looking bad. Sheetz will definitely be more attractive. Anyone know when the construction is going to start?

Old 06-13-2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abwvu1 View Post
The ones supporting the student housing better show up. Put Biafora in his place. I'll be glad to see that pr!ck take his big shiny ball and go elsewhere.
How did the meeting go?

Old 06-13-2014, 05:00 AM

664 posts, read 927,744 times
the building was voted down, 5-3.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:56 AM

What's this I'm reading... if they add 25 parking spaced and 5 unloading spaces within 1000 feet it is a go?

Old 06-13-2014, 07:16 AM

124 posts, read 133,846 times
I wonder if they can re-apply or contest this ruling in court? The word at my local watering hole (Gene's) is an additional series of lawsuits will be filed against the city and its management. I'm not sure how reliable that information is, but people are starting to wonder what is going on with trying to hinder new development. Hopefully they will come to a compromise. The VFW building has become very dilapidated. Maybe 11 stories is too much, I don't know. But I hope they all agree that corner needs redeveloped.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:39 AM

35 posts, read 43,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
What's this I'm reading... if they add 25 parking spaced and 5 unloading spaces within 1000 feet it is a go?
Unfortunately not. The additional 25 parking spots and 5 unloading spaces were a condition of the proposal on which the commission voted. One of the commissioners took the original proposal and made a motion to vote to approve the site plan with conditions of 1) taking into account certain "staff recommendations" which were described but too lengthy to recall, 2) 25 additional parking spots within 1,000 feet, and 3) 5 unloading spaces. That was voted down 5-3.

I watched most of the discussion, which lasted 4.5 hours, and it was pretty clear that the commissioners had their minds made up from the very beginning. I'm no expert, but it seemed like a case of small-mindedness and an inability/unwillingness to open up to the positive effects that a development like this could bring to the downtown area, both directly and indirectly. The major points of contention were, predictably, the parking-to-people ratio, the overall scale (too high, too large of a footprint), and the fact that there's a playground next door whose supporters feel would be negatively impacted by having a large student housing building adjacent to it.

As someone who is very pro-development, particularly in the downtown area, it was disappointing to watch. I thought this project would have been a net positive and would have added the first high quality new student housing of any real quantity in the immediate downtown area.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:42 AM

334 posts, read 437,728 times
**** you David Biafora. There is a special place in hell for people like you.

So mad right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown