U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 08:11 PM

235 posts, read 270,213 times

Advertisements

FYI - Dancing Fig is closed or is out of the old bank building downtown. I checked their facebook page and it is confirmed....yet ANOTHER restaurant out downtown...Madelines...Dancing Fig...Sad day.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 11:26 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,260,695 times
Sorry to hear that. They did a better job than Madeline's in my opinion. It was a very nice place with great atmosphere. I believe the problems are they waited until after the school year to make a push to establish the clientele, and city government is doing an awful job of tying the Wharf District (where more hotel folks stay than on High Street) in with downtown. We are going to thrive in Morgantown due to our terrific attributes, not due to our local government, which is stuck in the stone ages and lacks vision. Our local politics are our biggest handicap since it seems determined to stick with the status quo old guard rather than move forward with the times. Everyone else pays a price for protecting a dozen or so people who have long made a living fleecing students, and won't make space for improvements.

Eventually they will be shoved aside, even if The University has to act to do it, but in the meantime it is bump and lurch as improvements grind on in spite of their determined efforts to thwart them. The problem is more and more of the improvements are taking place outside of the city limits because it is easier to avoid the retrograde effects of city council.

Remember too, parking is more of an issue downtown than at the Wharf or outside of town, and our city council is about to make that situation even worse by raising prices to park on some of the downtown lots. That makes it harder for the better restaurants and the like to compete with businesses that have ample parking with no hassle.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:05 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,095,834 times
There will be a new restaurant there called, aptly enough, The Bank. I don't know too much else besides they've been on a Planning Commission agenda.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
There will be a new restaurant there called, aptly enough, The Bank. I don't know too much else besides they've been on a Planning Commission agenda.
I had a feeling it wouldn't be vacant long. High Street is a very high traffic location in any event. I would think whoever takes the location over would want to be in gear before football season and the new school year.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:22 PM

47 posts, read 46,074 times
I liked Madelines but the new place in that location, the iron horse tavern is in my opinion a lot better, more trendy and the food is really good.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:13 PM

191 posts, read 273,809 times
Sadly I never got the chance to check out Golden Finch or Dancing Fig, both of which I heard were good and are now gone.

However, I had Madelines twice and didnt care for it.

My burger at Iron Horse was disappointing im sad to say.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:34 PM

273 posts, read 323,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MischiefWV View Post
Sadly I never got the chance to check out Golden Finch or Dancing Fig, both of which I heard were good and are now gone.

However, I had Madelines twice and didnt care for it.

My burger at Iron Horse was disappointing im sad to say.
I really want to support local businesses whenever possible, and while I will pay a little more for it I won't sacrifice quality. Sadly, a lot of locally owned restaurants just aren't that great (not just in Morgantown, anywhere.) Don't get me wrong. There are some locally owned restaurants that I love, I just wish it wasn't as big of a gamble trying a new one sometimes.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:35 PM

235 posts, read 270,213 times
I think the Iron Horse will sort through growing pains...I don't think they have had their "official grandopening" yet. Talked to a lot of the staff down at Mountainstate and they said they are going through some pains to get it running correctly. I was never impressed, completely, with Golden Finch but that's my opinion. Loved Dancing Fig and very sorry to see it go. Probably had to do with the ridiculous parking situation downtown.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,047 times
The Dancing Fig is reopened! Located in the Zenclay building near evansdale campus! They have a fabulous craft cocktails list with homemade ingredients and wonderful food. The smoked tuna appetizer was amazing and the presentation was something I've never seen done in morgantown. Tables are very limited creating an intimate and very exclusive atmosphere. Service was the best I've experienced in morgantown. Hurry and make reservations for they will fill up quickly!

Old 12-09-2014, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1521 View Post
The Dancing Fig is reopened! Located in the Zenclay building near evansdale campus! They have a fabulous craft cocktails list with homemade ingredients and wonderful food. The smoked tuna appetizer was amazing and the presentation was something I've never seen done in morgantown. Tables are very limited creating an intimate and very exclusive atmosphere. Service was the best I've experienced in morgantown. Hurry and make reservations for they will fill up quickly!
I enjoyed the meal they fixed for me on High Street, and hope they make a go of it in their new location.

I also hope the Bank makes a go of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown