U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2014, 09:22 AM

10,148 posts, read 13,306,267 times

Advertisements

The Boston based Hydro Electric Company that plans to construct a new hydro power plant on the Mon River at the Morgantown Locks and Dam has changed the projects design plans in response to concerns that the previous design would encroach on the Rail Trail system. The new plan calls for the powerhouse to be actually located in the river as opposed to being on the river banks.

TheDPost.com - Changes made to hydroelectric project plans
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 02:19 PM

47 posts, read 46,645 times
I wonder how many megawatts can be generated from that, I would assume not very many relative to the Dominion Plant on Beechurst. I still to this day can figure out why the city allowed that Dominion plant to be developed in that location its such a eyesore for the town, its 23 years old now I wonder what the lifespan is on something like that...and don't get me wrong, I love coal and understand its importance to the state my riff is more about poor planning by the City relative to aesthetics.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:15 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,103,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngman86 View Post
I wonder how many megawatts can be generated from that, I would assume not very many relative to the Dominion Plant on Beechurst. I still to this day can figure out why the city allowed that Dominion plant to be developed in that location its such a eyesore for the town, its 23 years old now I wonder what the lifespan is on something like that...and don't get me wrong, I love coal and understand its importance to the state my riff is more about poor planning by the City relative to aesthetics.
Free Flow Hydro Project - 5 MW
Morgantown Energy Associates (Beechurst Power Plant) - 69 MW
Longview Power Plant - 695 MW

Old 07-14-2014, 09:10 PM

273 posts, read 325,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
Free Flow Hydro Project - 5 MW
Morgantown Energy Associates (Beechurst Power Plant) - 69 MW
Longview Power Plant - 695 MW
Thank you. Where'd you find the numbers?

Old 07-14-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji2086 View Post
Thank you. Where'd you find the numbers?
Sorry about that.

Login - HydroWorld (apparently that's behind a paywall. Just search for "FERC Receives Seven Hydro License Applications from Free Flow Power")

Note - a previous council agenda had 3.1 MW listed: http://www.morgantownwv.gov/wp-conte...14-Special.pdf

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...y_Facility_(WV) (a little outdated)

Longview Power

Old 07-15-2014, 01:29 AM

It really does make sense to put a hydro plant wherever there are dams in operation. That is simply wasted energy if it is not harnessed, and once installed a hydro plant can be operated with relatively little expense.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:29 PM

273 posts, read 325,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
It really does make sense to put a hydro plant wherever there are dams in operation. That is simply wasted energy if it is not harnessed, and once installed a hydro plant can be operated with relatively little expense.
I absolutely agree. I'm also very happy to see that they are responsive to local concerns.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:04 AM

100 posts, read 95,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngman86 View Post
I agree 100% that it's an eyesore, but I believe the reason behind its placement is that it provides steam to the PRT to heat the tracks in winter. Perhaps the University could have chosen a better location, but given that the coal comes in on barges I believe, it had to be by the river somewhere.

I don't think it's odd for a University to have a power plant on campus, however. I know Ohio State has an old coal power plant right by their football stadium, but it switched to natural gas in 2007 I believe.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1WVU View Post
I agree 100% that it's an eyesore, but I believe the reason behind its placement is that it provides steam to the PRT to heat the tracks in winter. Perhaps the University could have chosen a better location, but given that the coal comes in on barges I believe, it had to be by the river somewhere.

I don't think it's odd for a University to have a power plant on campus, however. I know Ohio State has an old coal power plant right by their football stadium, but it switched to natural gas in 2007 I believe.
I understand why people think it's an eyesore, but I find some beauty in industrial design (especially at night). I feel like it is one of the few remaining connections to our industrial heritage. Plus, if you look at it from the Blaney House at night, it looks like a big ship docked in the river! I think it's either the city's comprehensive plan or the MPO's Long Range Transportation Plan that calls for assessing the long-term viability of the plant, especially with Longview opening up. I will say that if/when it is ever torn down, it will be a good day for the city (aesthetically, economically, and environmentally).

If they use the steam from the plant to heat the PRT tracks, then that's the only place it could have gone. It does need to be by the river for the barges, but primarily power plants and large production facilities need to be by a source of water to use for cooling the plant.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:27 PM

I believe that plant essentially heats the whole school ... not just the PRT tracks. It is vital to the school, and thus to Morgantown. I wish they had picked another location, but it is what it is and it isn't going any place any time soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
View detailed profiles of: