U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 01:22 PM

7 posts, read 5,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
He lost Round 1, but I really hope they find a way to make peace with him. First of all, he has far and away, the best radio coverage in our state (nobody else even comes close), and secondly it is not a good idea to be permanently at odds with somebody who has an $88+ million war chest and access to media releases. They need to work out a way for this to be a win-win instead of harboring grudges.

Dominion Post release... TheDPost.com - Judge allows WVU-IMG media rights deal

IMG has tried to negotiate with WVRC and they have refused to participate. A win-win requires mutual correspondence and concession. John and his business associates have made a conscious decision to to effectively punish the Mountaineer fans in more rural areas of this state, particularly those south and east of Buckhannon and Elkins, which are basically markets monopolized by WVRC affiliates, in the name of his personal vendetta. Because that's what this is. Not just business, but personal. It's extremely bizarre. Not only that, but they've gone out of their way to block WVU/IMG and their distribution by virtue of their associates swooping in and scooping up WCLG, one of the more powerful stations in NCWV and a potential flagship station, which had a handshake agreement already in place to broadcast Mountaineer coverage, at the last minute. Of course, most of those fans, not knowing the semantics, will resort to blaming big, bad Oliver Luck and IMG for their lack of coverage when they should be placing calls to their WVRC affiliates to put the pressure on them to go back to the negotiating table.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 02:21 PM

7 posts, read 5,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
As far as radio is concerned, I agree with what you're saying about WV Radio being built on WVU sports, but it was a two way street. The University also became a household name because of that. Before the days of big time television sports almost every radio set in the state was tuned into Mountaineer sports, and that legacy carryed over to all other phases and continues to this day.

There is no way to get effective statewide radio coverage without Raese's participation. It is impossible. He and his brother control almost all the most powerful station licenses, and they are buying up even more of them. With the exception of WWVA in Wheeling, all the non Raese radio stations are mom and pop operations with limited range. It was politics, pure and simple, that resulted in a situation where the much weaker financially Bray Cary enterprises got special treatment. That was short sighted, and I really hope everyone involved with this learns something positive from it. This state would be much further ahead to follow PA's lead and get politics out of higher education.
WV Media is purely a TV partner for WVU/IMG and has no holdings in the radio distribution realm. They, along with ROOT Sports Pittsburgh, were always going to be the only logical option for coaches' shows, pregame content and lesser tier 3 televised contests. TV is always going to be where the big money is, while traditional radio is becoming increasingly diminished through digital and mobile development, and that partnership was always going to be the best outlet for maximizing consumption and generating revenue. So, whether or not they got perceived "special treatment" or not(read:that's building a good business relationship and WVRC certainly has benefitted from that far more than WVMH throughout the course of history), that shouldn't have had any impact on the radio side of things. And WVRC may have been good for WVU in another era, times change, money talks and bulsh*t walks. This isn't a mom and pop shop anymore. And I like mom and pop shops just fine, but that's not how big time colleigate athletics works anymore.

Let's face it when it comes to the radio coverage. WVRC wanted it all and wanted it for rock-bottom prices at WVU's expense. They DO have a stranglehold on many of the strongest stations in this state and some of the most rural areas with low population densities(what kind of return are you getting there?), but they stand to lose something very significant in this ordeal, too. IMG has the resources, TV and radio networks nationally that dwarf anything John Raese's little regional conglomeration has to offer. If they feel the return-on-investment isn't what it could be, they could create some serious headaches for WVRC in the form of increased competition and diminished returns. I've personally deleted all their stations from my favorites because I have no reason to tune in to any of their programming. I've gone digital/mobile and I get the IMG broadcasts just fine, even in my rural location. There are going to be some more growing pains, but the patchwork WVU/IMG network you saw put together last summer at the last minute won't stand pat as-is. Some of the affiliates have already alluded to expanding their infrastructure and increased wattage in the future with the additional cash flow coming in.

I would think the most lucrative thing for WVRC to do would be to get to the negotiating table as quickly as possible. The contract has been upheld and this litigious approach is not only a waste of everyone's time and money, they're losing listeners who are fed up with their politicizing of this issue.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:52 PM

124 posts, read 133,795 times
WVU is betting on TV and digital media (internet and smartphones) to be the face of MSN. Oliver Luck talked about this during alumni events this spring. They are targeting the age groups of 18-54. Gone are the days of people listening exclusively to the games on the radio, except for the older age groups. Anyone who has a smartphone can get the game anywhere you have 3 or 4G. Other than the people coming to and leaving the game, most are getting the coverage from digital media. I really miss the old MSN (Hoppy and the crew) like most do; grew up listening to Jack Flemming and Woody O'hara on "radio", but I realize the landscape of the media has changed. WVU has much better websites for sports than they did several years ago. IMG and MSN are supposed to have a "friendlier" app for smartphones by the start of the season. There may also be expansion of IMG / MSN to SirriusXM.

Even Rich Rod knew Raese was taking WVU for a ride on the media rights. He basically talks about it in his book. Rich wanted to increase media revenue by bidding out the rights to TV and Radio to third parties. The increased revenue would have been used to upgrade the facilites, etc. Fast Eddie Pastilong would have nothing to do with that. Enter Luck, and from what you read, didn't care for John Raese and his control over MSN. Luck audited the entire athletic department to include MSN. According to snippits of the the lawsuit on Blue Gold news, and articles in the paper, Mike Parsons, deputy athletic director, was more loyal to John Raese than to his employer. This ultimately cost him his job. Enter IMG, who wanted to continue to use a number of Raese stations, but John wouldn't cooperate. My guess is the stations that decide to carry IMG will ultimately become the most listened to stations, and will invest in their infrastructure to better their coverage. You may also see some new stations pop up in areas where the coverage isn't the best.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:58 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,283,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersh_WVU View Post
WV Media is purely a TV partner for WVU/IMG and has no holdings in the radio distribution realm. They, along with ROOT Sports Pittsburgh, were always going to be the only logical option for coaches' shows, pregame content and lesser tier 3 televised contests. TV is always going to be where the big money is, while traditional radio is becoming increasingly diminished through digital and mobile development, and that partnership was always going to be the best outlet for maximizing consumption and generating revenue. So, whether or not they got perceived "special treatment" or not(read:that's building a good business relationship and WVRC certainly has benefitted from that far more than WVMH throughout the course of history), that shouldn't have had any impact on the radio side of things. And WVRC may have been good for WVU in another era, times change, money talks and bulsh*t walks. This isn't a mom and pop shop anymore. And I like mom and pop shops just fine, but that's not how big time colleigate athletics works anymore.

Let's face it when it comes to the radio coverage. WVRC wanted it all and wanted it for rock-bottom prices at WVU's expense. They DO have a stranglehold on many of the strongest stations in this state and some of the most rural areas with low population densities(what kind of return are you getting there?), but they stand to lose something very significant in this ordeal, too. IMG has the resources, TV and radio networks nationally that dwarf anything John Raese's little regional conglomeration has to offer. If they feel the return-on-investment isn't what it could be, they could create some serious headaches for WVRC in the form of increased competition and diminished returns. I've personally deleted all their stations from my favorites because I have no reason to tune in to any of their programming. I've gone digital/mobile and I get the IMG broadcasts just fine, even in my rural location. There are going to be some more growing pains, but the patchwork WVU/IMG network you saw put together last summer at the last minute won't stand pat as-is. Some of the affiliates have already alluded to expanding their infrastructure and increased wattage in the future with the additional cash flow coming in.

I would think the most lucrative thing for WVRC to do would be to get to the negotiating table as quickly as possible. The contract has been upheld and this litigious approach is not only a waste of everyone's time and money, they're losing listeners who are fed up with their politicizing of this issue.
I'm not so sure about that. WVRC had a many decades long established relationship with WVU athletics, and if they were going to give a heads up preference to any media organization they would have been the logical choice. WV Media (i.e. Bray Carey and Co.) had no formal relationship other than that groups politically appointed relationship with the Board of Governors and the fact that they benefited to the tune of millions of dollars from purchase and sales arrangements for that organization with the Foundation. The school could have insisted that they be given the same prearranged situation for radio that Bray got for his television endeavors. We don't have all the information for what happened in front of us, but it is impossible to ignore the potential for interference from the political apparatus. When you say IMG offered to include WV Radio you don't disclose the terms they offered, and those might well have been designed to insure that no real negotiations would take place.

We have to be realistic here. It is easy to pick sides, but none of us knows what happened behind closed doors. It is likely the school is making more money from the current arrangement than it would have if WV Radio had handled everything but that money is coming at a substantial cost in other areas... much worse radio coverage, and a very wealthy antagonist for the athletic administration, who also has ready access to media that he can use at virtually no cost to himself, constantly keeping his opponents on the defensive. The case could also be made that the school might have made more money if Bray Carey's company had not had a prearranged special deal. Every television market in which his stations are located has a competitor that could provide at least equal coverage, so I fail to see how giving him preference was the only logical choice.

My own opinion, and that is all it is ... an opinion, is that it was very short sighted to not figure out a win-win scenario that included WV Radio. I live in Morgantown. We can't even get the radio broadcast in every part of our city here. It totally disappears if you drive down Hartman Run Road, for example. In fact, the only part of the state that still has optimal coverage is Wheeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown