U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-27-2014, 09:06 AM
 
17 posts, read 17,857 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

Saw an item on the Charleston Gazette web site: Monongalia County Business Court judge Thomas Evans has denied the civil motion filed by WVa Radio Corporation for a summary judgment against WVU, Oliver Luck and others regarding the University's third-tier rights agreement with IMG College, LLC. The article says the agreement stands because the code that John Raese's lawyers cited wasn't relevant.

The article also says the order was entered handed-down this past Thursday.

You'd think the story would've been in the Dominion Post. Then again, maybe not.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2014, 04:53 PM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,278,537 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by patronzo View Post
Saw an item on the Charleston Gazette web site: Monongalia County Business Court judge Thomas Evans has denied the civil motion filed by WVa Radio Corporation for a summary judgment against WVU, Oliver Luck and others regarding the University's third-tier rights agreement with IMG College, LLC. The article says the agreement stands because the code that John Raese's lawyers cited wasn't relevant.

The article also says the order was entered handed-down this past Thursday.

You'd think the story would've been in the Dominion Post. Then again, maybe not.
He lost Round 1, but I really hope they find a way to make peace with him. First of all, he has far and away, the best radio coverage in our state (nobody else even comes close), and secondly it is not a good idea to be permanently at odds with somebody who has an $88+ million war chest and access to media releases. They need to work out a way for this to be a win-win instead of harboring grudges.

Dominion Post release... http://thedpost.com/Evans-ruiling-7-27

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 07-27-2014 at 05:05 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2014, 05:59 PM
 
334 posts, read 437,298 times
Reputation: 146
anytime John Raese loses is a great day for the state of West Virginia.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2014, 09:42 PM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,278,537 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by abwvu1 View Post
anytime John Raese loses is a great day for the state of West Virginia.
I wouldn't say that. He employs 1,000 people for one thing, and is known as a generous employer who looks after his workers. It is easy to take sides in this, and I certainly want Oliver and his crew to continue to be highly successful in every way. I do believe it was short sighted to not put politics aside and work with him. There is room for support for the school from all political orientations, and politics should have absolutely nothing to do with The University. People can be political adversaries and still work for the betterment of the school. Raese's radio product was top notch. Nobody will deny that. It was John Raese's company that gave us Jack Fleming, and who put West Virginia sports in every home and car in the state for several decades.

I believe that Gordon Gee has a history of getting along with both sides. That offers hope of a positive compromise.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 07-27-2014 at 09:53 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2014, 07:49 AM
 
1,642 posts, read 2,099,128 times
Reputation: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I wouldn't say that. He employs 1,000 people for one thing, and is known as a generous employer who looks after his workers.
You know what that sounds like? A mob boss.

As good as Raese might be for his employees, on the whole, his antics have been awful for the state for the last few years. I would chalk it up to an inability to translate business competence to other realms of life. Yes, he inherited a load of money, but he's done well with what he's been given. That takes a good measure of business acumen and shrewdness. I think his personality is good for the work he's in. However, when he tries to carry that over into, say, politics or anything in the public realm, he comes across as ultra-conservative and worse, rigid and uncompromising.

We would all love a compromise and a peaceful outcome, but more bridges have been burned than Jones-Imboden and Sherman combined.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2014, 11:19 AM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,278,537 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
You know what that sounds like? A mob boss.

As good as Raese might be for his employees, on the whole, his antics have been awful for the state for the last few years. I would chalk it up to an inability to translate business competence to other realms of life. Yes, he inherited a load of money, but he's done well with what he's been given. That takes a good measure of business acumen and shrewdness. I think his personality is good for the work he's in. However, when he tries to carry that over into, say, politics or anything in the public realm, he comes across as ultra-conservative and worse, rigid and uncompromising.

We would all love a compromise and a peaceful outcome, but more bridges have been burned than Jones-Imboden and Sherman combined.
I agree. At the same time, his political opposition, while more popular, has shown itself to be perhaps of much less ethical substance. People didn't approve of Raese's attacks on his opponent politically, but his opponent has been a consistently controversial figure including, just this week, being taken to court by his own brother for unethical behavior. The man is not a "schmoozer", to coin a commonly used Brooklyn term, but he does cut to the chase in ways that are sometimes hard for opponents to handle.

His reputation is one of somebody who expects people to apply effort, but one who also rewards it handsomely. That is not a bad recipe for success, and it has translated into a happy workforce and a hefty fortune for himself. One can criticize his personality, but not his results. And, being the exact opposite of his opponent he never seeks out a camera. So, are his antics any worse for the state than his opposition? I guess that is a matter of personal opinion. Is his opposition any more compromising than him? Look at the substance... not the rhetoric, then decide. That said, there is nobody better positioned to bring the divergent factions together than E. Gordon Gee. He is a famous bridge builder, and while his unusual sense of humor has sometimes gotten him in trouble, his skill at getting results is absolutely legendary.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2014, 11:58 AM
 
1,642 posts, read 2,099,128 times
Reputation: 450
We'll probably have to agree to disagree on Raese/Manchin (personal opinion and we don't want to stray too far from topic), but I'm with you wholeheartedly on Gee. That man will be great for WVU, Morgantown, and the state.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2014, 03:44 PM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,278,537 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
We'll probably have to agree to disagree on Raese/Manchin (personal opinion and we don't want to stray too far from topic), but I'm with you wholeheartedly on Gee. That man will be great for WVU, Morgantown, and the state.
I'm not even sure we disagree about Raese. There is no doubt that his personality does not lend itself to bridge building, and he will never win the public relations battles. If anybody can get that mess straightened out it is Gee. WVU is just fortunate that it has such momentum and so many positive attributes that it can thrive no matter which faction has the upper hand at the moment. One faction gives us $30 million for athletic facilities and academics, then the other faction comes in and gives us the Big 12 Conference and $50 million toward academics. The school is doing great, but it would be even better if all these guys would get on the same page instead of their constant bickering. Imagine what they could accomplish working together.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2014, 05:12 PM
 
124 posts, read 133,750 times
Reputation: 63
I expect Raese will exhaust all resources legally until it reaches the state supreme court. Many people are saying WVU sports will never be back on any Raese owned station. Never say never, but it probably won't be anytime within the next 10 or 15 years. IMG just said they are committed to building an even stronger statewide network. Raese built his radio company on the back of WVU sports. I'm sure all the new stations will benefit the same way Raese did. In the end, I think WVU cares more about TV and internet than radio. That is where the real investments are being made. I will say I miss the old MSN coverage, but everything changes eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
He lost Round 1, but I really hope they find a way to make peace with him. First of all, he has far and away, the best radio coverage in our state (nobody else even comes close), and secondly it is not a good idea to be permanently at odds with somebody who has an $88+ million war chest and access to media releases. They need to work out a way for this to be a win-win instead of harboring grudges.

Dominion Post release... TheDPost.com - Judge allows WVU-IMG media rights deal
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2014, 07:48 PM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,278,537 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog72 View Post
I expect Raese will exhaust all resources legally until it reaches the state supreme court. Many people are saying WVU sports will never be back on any Raese owned station. Never say never, but it probably won't be anytime within the next 10 or 15 years. IMG just said they are committed to building an even stronger statewide network. Raese built his radio company on the back of WVU sports. I'm sure all the new stations will benefit the same way Raese did. In the end, I think WVU cares more about TV and internet than radio. That is where the real investments are being made. I will say I miss the old MSN coverage, but everything changes eventually.
As far as radio is concerned, I agree with what you're saying about WV Radio being built on WVU sports, but it was a two way street. The University also became a household name because of that. Before the days of big time television sports almost every radio set in the state was tuned into Mountaineer sports, and that legacy carryed over to all other phases and continues to this day.

There is no way to get effective statewide radio coverage without Raese's participation. It is impossible. He and his brother control almost all the most powerful station licenses, and they are buying up even more of them. With the exception of WWVA in Wheeling, all the non Raese radio stations are mom and pop operations with limited range. It was politics, pure and simple, that resulted in a situation where the much weaker financially Bray Cary enterprises got special treatment. That was short sighted, and I really hope everyone involved with this learns something positive from it. This state would be much further ahead to follow PA's lead and get politics out of higher education.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top