U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 04:10 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,759,975 times

Advertisements

I'm going to disagree on the use of the traffic counters. I've seen them out up there during football game weekends. Based on your logic, the argument could be made that they are trying to artificially inflate the traffic numbers based on a few weekends a year.

The reality of it is that they are likely looking at traffic patterns at various times of the year for comparison. There's likely no conspiracy theory needed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 04:28 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,262,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I'm going to disagree on the use of the traffic counters. I've seen them out up there during football game weekends. Based on your logic, the argument could be made that they are trying to artificially inflate the traffic numbers based on a few weekends a year.

The reality of it is that they are likely looking at traffic patterns at various times of the year for comparison. There's likely no conspiracy theory needed.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, Tim. I live here, and from my perspective it is quite obvious.
I'm not suggesting a conspiracy. I'm suggesting a policy. The counters are out almost entirely in the summer months everywhere, not just here. The problem with that policy is we get shortchanged by it. By the way, I believe Huntington gets short changed by it too.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:49 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,096,197 times
Two things:
1) About the traffic counters. I've seen the MPO put out counters on roads (West Run, for instance) in April and June, and August and late September/October to gauge the effect of the student population. I've talked with Bill Austin about it and that's what they do. They are certainly prevalent in the summer, but I know I've seen them other months as well.

2) On the truck ordinance. I wasn't there, but reading in the DPost today, there was one glaring point about the ordinance and its support on City Council. I'm not going to get into their political positions, but Ron Bane and Wes Nugent almost exclusively vote in lockstep with one another (many times opposing the other, Morgantown Together council members). The vote on the first reading of the ordinance was 6-1, with only Nugent dissenting. That was surprising to me, to say the least.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:53 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,096,197 times
Metronews article: WV MetroNews – Morgantown City Council passes first reading of truck ban ordinance

It seems as though they're doing their due diligence and even Nugent wants some sort of compromise. It will be interesting to see the legislative, enforcement, and potential litigation process.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
Two things:
1) About the traffic counters. I've seen the MPO put out counters on roads (West Run, for instance) in April and June, and August and late September/October to gauge the effect of the student population. I've talked with Bill Austin about it and that's what they do. They are certainly prevalent in the summer, but I know I've seen them other months as well.

2) On the truck ordinance. I wasn't there, but reading in the DPost today, there was one glaring point about the ordinance and its support on City Council. I'm not going to get into their political positions, but Ron Bane and Wes Nugent almost exclusively vote in lockstep with one another (many times opposing the other, Morgantown Together council members). The vote on the first reading of the ordinance was 6-1, with only Nugent dissenting. That was surprising to me, to say the least.
There is a difference between having MPO putting out counters and DOH putting them out. The MPO counters have nothing to do with road funding, while the DOH ones have everything to do with them. I have no doubt that they sometimes put counters out at other times, but the preponderance is definitely during summer months. Doing things that way works to the detriment of locales with large student populations and to the benefit of the summer tourist areas. Since we are in the former group, we are hurt by the practice.

I will be thrilled if they can figure out a way to move those trucks out of downtown. What I can't believe is the council is short sighted to the point of doing it this way, in spite of having been told by the state and the Feds that it can't be done in this manner without the city expending a fortune to assume maintenance of the roads and provide an alternate route for the trucks. You just know this ordinance is going to go to court with an almost certain defeat and major legal expenses. I would like to see some folks with vision elected to city council and would hope the whole, good old boy network is voted out of office.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:50 PM

354 posts, read 440,048 times
Good for Morgantown City Council for pressing on!! This has been a problem for way too long and action needs taken now. They should be pursuing this from every single avenue. Here's a great blog/opinion piece that needs passed around:

The Pathetic Comedy Of The WV Department of Transportation “One Voice” Mantra | New Woodburn Community School

Old 08-21-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
Good for Morgantown City Council for pressing on!! This has been a problem for way too long and action needs taken now. They should be pursuing this from every single avenue. Here's a great blog/opinion piece that needs passed around:

The Pathetic Comedy Of The WV Department of Transportation “One Voice” Mantra | New Woodburn Community School
The right way to press on would be to get involved with an effort to get state government to come up with an acceptable solution, not to get involved with a costly and virtually impossible legal litigation. State government needs to come up with an adequate alternative... raise the weight limits on I-68 for the short distance between Sabraton and Grafton Road, or agree to fund an alternate WV7 for trucks on Greenbag Road for instance. Acting unilaterally is not only a waste of time, it will surely be a huge waste of money.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:55 AM

354 posts, read 440,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
The right way to press on would be to get involved with an effort to get state government to come up with an acceptable solution, not to get involved with a costly and virtually impossible legal litigation. State government needs to come up with an adequate alternative... raise the weight limits on I-68 for the short distance between Sabraton and Grafton Road, or agree to fund an alternate WV7 for trucks on Greenbag Road for instance. Acting unilaterally is not only a waste of time, it will surely be a huge waste of money.
Uh that was the point...the state has done nothing for decades and has shown no intention to fix the issue. It's time for other options. You may be fine huffing diesel fumes from these behemoths, but others are serious about progressing Morgantown in a positive way (for once).

Old 08-22-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystreet21 View Post
Uh that was the point...the state has done nothing for decades and has shown no intention to fix the issue. It's time for other options. You may be fine huffing diesel fumes from these behemoths, but others are serious about progressing Morgantown in a positive way (for once).
I have no idea how you can assume I can be fine with the diesel fumes. I clearly stated more than once that I really hope they find a satisfactory solution to this removing the trucks from downtown. I am VERY interested in progressing Morgantown in a positive way. If that doesn't happen, most of the development will continue to take place outside of the city limits. I just don't believe moving forward unilaterally is a wise move. In fact, I view that as a negative and costly move that will yield negative results. They MUST get the state to do something about this. They lack all authority to do so themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown