Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 12:17 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times

Advertisements

and WVU construction is a big part of it...

Morgantown is Booming! - WVU Athletics

http://morgantown.org/detail.php?page_id=5

http://morgantown.org/index.php

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 08-16-2014 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 07:38 AM

158 posts, read 247,080 times
I was just in that area for work and would agree with you. The entire North-Central area seems to be doing very well. I stayed at one of four new hotels near Bridgeport, all of which were sold out, and they were building a fifth. Everyone in the hotel appeared to be there for oil/gas. I also canvassed Morgantown and was delighted to find a lot of the old dilapidated housing being leveled in favor of giant mixed-user apartment buildings. Sunnyside won't be a shameful eyesore for much longer, that's for sure.

My only concern about places like North Central WV and ND, is that when the gas is gone (or regulated away), what will happen to all of this new development? Fortunately there's a lot of Tech stuff along 79, but most of it is federal in nature and not guaranteed in any way either. Hopefully the area continues to diversify.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowKing View Post
I was just in that area for work and would agree with you. The entire North-Central area seems to be doing very well. I stayed at one of four new hotels near Bridgeport, all of which were sold out, and they were building a fifth. Everyone in the hotel appeared to be there for oil/gas. I also canvassed Morgantown and was delighted to find a lot of the old dilapidated housing being leveled in favor of giant mixed-user apartment buildings. Sunnyside won't be a shameful eyesore for much longer, that's for sure.

My only concern about places like North Central WV and ND, is that when the gas is gone (or regulated away), what will happen to all of this new development? Fortunately there's a lot of Tech stuff along 79, but most of it is federal in nature and not guaranteed in any way either. Hopefully the area continues to diversify.
Nothing is certain about the future anywhere. I found that out when I lived in Wheeling in the early 1980s and saw our state's most prosperous city go down the tubes in a hurry when 10,000 steel worker jobs were lost. However, the economy in NCWV is far and away the best prepared for the future in terms of stability and diversity, with the exception of the Eastern Panhandle which is similarly situated. Every city in NCWV has a strong anchor employer and Morgantown has a number of them. We have the state's strongest healthcare sector, a major pharmaceutical company that is in expansion mode, we're the location of national headquarters for a retail firm and a growing healthcare provider, we have the state's National Research University, large Federal prison complexes, NETL, NIOSH, in Fairmont there is NASA and in Clarksburg there is the mega FBI complex. There is $175 million in funded research done at West Virginia University. Oil and gas development is a very nice addition to the mix, but even without it this area is primed for growth now and in the foreseeable future. The EP is guaranteed to continue growing as part of the Baltimore/DC bedroom community.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:30 PM

287 posts, read 549,403 times
That's great that Morgantown is doing really well.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:02 AM

632 posts, read 832,260 times
I was trying to count over the summer how many construction projects were going on simultaneously and I think I came up with over 20. Anyone have an official number?

MPS team room
Law School renovations
Ruby Tower and reconstruction
Two new apartment buildings next to Pierpont Tower
Ruby outpatient facility at UTS
Baseball stadium at UTS
Art Museum
New walkway across from coliseum
Evansdale Crossing
Ag Science building
New engineering research building
University Place and adjacent parking
College Park
Finishing CPASS building
New building at Suncrest Town Center
New condos across from STC
Addition to Pierpont off of I-68
New access road to the airport
Addition to Healthworks
New hotel off of 705 and Mon General Dr
Construction on other side of 79 including La Quinta Inn

That's 21 projects and I know I'm missing some. For a town the size of Morgantown, that's really impressive

Old 08-26-2014, 08:17 AM

632 posts, read 832,260 times
Now if only Morgantown would improve their infrastructure. I'd love to see some type of West Run Expressway take shape as well as a connecting bridge to the new exit off 79 to relieve Patteson and Mon Blvd traffic

Old 08-26-2014, 09:46 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
Now if only Morgantown would improve their infrastructure. I'd love to see some type of West Run Expressway take shape as well as a connecting bridge to the new exit off 79 to relieve Patteson and Mon Blvd traffic
It's not that they don't want to, it's just that there's not a lot of money (anywhere). Here's a link to the Long Range Transportation Plan which includes desired projects. One is a new bridge over the Mon (3 alternatives). They're starting preliminary studies to see where would be the best place and how much. If it went from Patteson to UTC, it would partially be in the TIF district and therefore can use some of those funds, FYI.

LRTP | MPO

Old 08-26-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
It's not that they don't want to, it's just that there's not a lot of money (anywhere). Here's a link to the Long Range Transportation Plan which includes desired projects. One is a new bridge over the Mon (3 alternatives). They're starting preliminary studies to see where would be the best place and how much. If it went from Patteson to UTC, it would partially be in the TIF district and therefore can use some of those funds, FYI.

LRTP | MPO
My opinion is an extension from the new Interstate Exit by the ballpark to a four lane bridge over the Mon connecting to Patteson Drive in an elevated manner over the Coliseum parking lot would make a lot of sense. Not only would that eliminate a lot of congestion... it would also foster development on the other side of I-79 in the new TIF District.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:15 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
My opinion is an extension from the new Interstate Exit by the ballpark to a four lane bridge over the Mon connecting to Patteson Drive in an elevated manner over the Coliseum parking lot would make a lot of sense. Not only would that eliminate a lot of congestion... it would also foster development on the other side of I-79 in the new TIF District.
You're 100% correct. Thankfully, that's the preference of the power players in town, too. Granted, that's before any actual feasibility study, but still.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:02 PM

I'd like to see mixed use development on the West side of I-79 ... residential, business, eateries and pubs, and hotels. Really forward thinking would allow for the PRT being attached to one side of the bridge or the other to tie everything in, with a Coliseum Station and connecting near the Engineering Station. I also believe a PRT stop would be excellent for the Wharf District somewhere between the restaurants and the Hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown