U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 10:02 AM

273 posts, read 324,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
It's not that they don't want to, it's just that there's not a lot of money (anywhere). Here's a link to the Long Range Transportation Plan which includes desired projects. One is a new bridge over the Mon (3 alternatives). They're starting preliminary studies to see where would be the best place and how much. If it went from Patteson to UTC, it would partially be in the TIF district and therefore can use some of those funds, FYI.

LRTP | MPO
I think we really need two bridges over the Monongahela River - the preferred option to the north and the bridge at the coliseum. One additional piece I'd like to see would be a limited access highway on the north side of town. Something like this where the thick black line is the highway, white circles are interchanges, and the thinner black line is an additional road into town. Of course, getting funding for it is a completely different ballgame.
Click image for larger version

Name:	mgw north bypass.PNG
Views:	152
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	135210
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 10:33 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,099,516 times
That's the dream, isn't it?

Old 08-27-2014, 10:36 AM

4,923 posts, read 5,434,283 times
Country roads take me home to a place a place where I belong..West Virginia.. mountain mom take me home down a country road.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:19 AM

10,148 posts, read 13,280,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Country roads take me home to a place a place where I belong..West Virginia.. mountain mom take me home down a country road.
Thanks for stopping for a visit from Lexington, but what does the song have to do with the bridge? Please don't try to hijack the threads like that.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:53 AM

124 posts, read 133,773 times
Sen Bob Beach said recently on WAJR the only way for our roads in Morgantown to catch up with the development boom is some type of public/private venture like the WVU baseball park. The new interchange is being funded with private money. Beach said the state cannot afford to construct the projects MPO has proposed. He also dropped a bomb and said the rumored second phase of mileground improvements will not happen. There was supposed to be two more roundabouts, one at Hartman run, and the other at the bottom of Easton hill. This would have eliminated the two traffic lights that are causing back-ups to occur. The southern part of our state has much better roads. Millions of dollars are being spent on roadwork where hardly no one lives. The reason is they still have political control of the state. The DOH is also politically controlled.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog72 View Post
Sen Bob Beach said recently on WAJR the only way for our roads in Morgantown to catch up with the development boom is some type of public/private venture like the WVU baseball park. The new interchange is being funded with private money. Beach said the state cannot afford to construct the projects MPO has proposed. He also dropped a bomb and said the rumored second phase of mileground improvements will not happen. There was supposed to be two more roundabouts, one at Hartman run, and the other at the bottom of Easton hill. This would have eliminated the two traffic lights that are causing back-ups to occur. The southern part of our state has much better roads. Millions of dollars are being spent on roadwork where hardly no one lives. The reason is they still have political control of the state. The DOH is also politically controlled.
They already have far better roads down there due to their political control, and far less potential for the future. That does not stop them from literally wasting state tax money on roads to nowhere and hairbrained research parks that have been abandoned by researchers and only exist because state government keeps shoving millions per year into them that could be much better spend elsewhere. I can't believe they are cancelling the much needed Mileground project. What a shame, and how shameful of our state government.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
They already have far better roads down there due to their political control, and far less potential for the future. That does not stop them from literally wasting state tax money on roads to nowhere and hairbrained research parks that have been abandoned by researchers and only exist because state government keeps shoving millions per year into them that could be much better spend elsewhere. I can't believe they are cancelling the much needed Mileground project. What a shame, and how shameful of our state government.
Okay, some clarification. The Mileground project has not been cancelled. It has been pushed back 2 years to 2017 because the current crop of bozos on the County Commission, the Morgantown Planning Organization, and the Division of Highways disagree about the design that should be used for the road.
It would seem the disagreement is about whether a 5 lane Mileground with a center turning lane, or a 4 lane Mileground with a divider and traffic circles at Hartman Run and Point Marion Roads are the best way to go.

Senator Beach is doing a great job of trying to get this vital project done. The problem is with the local apparatus which, as is often the case, is more concerned with fighting with each other than with actual progress.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:15 AM

47 posts, read 46,308 times
I would be nice if they could bury the utilities

Old 09-07-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngman86 View Post
I would be nice if they could bury the utilities
Absolutely. In my opinion, that is a no brainer which is probably why our County Commission won't help do it. It would detract from their ability to give friends and cronies cush jobs and lucrative pay raises.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:03 PM

334 posts, read 437,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Okay, some clarification. The Mileground project has not been cancelled. It has been pushed back 2 years to 2017 because the current crop of bozos on the County Commission, the Morgantown Planning Organization, and the Division of Highways disagree about the design that should be used for the road.
It would seem the disagreement is about whether a 5 lane Mileground with a center turning lane, or a 4 lane Mileground with a divider and traffic circles at Hartman Run and Point Marion Roads are the best way to go.

Senator Beach is doing a great job of trying to get this vital project done. The problem is with the local apparatus which, as is often the case, is more concerned with fighting with each other than with actual progress.
what a shame. Something has to be done with Easton Hill.

Bob Beach, when all is said and done, should have something named after all. He has done for Morgantown in the past few years then what EVERYONE ELSE did the past 100 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown